AR Cartridge for Hunting

Tmac

WKR
I got a 6.5 Grendel for my grands to use for cow elk from age 9 until 13 ish. Had the 6arc been available in a bolt gun, I would have gone that way. I went with the Howa mini action in a mdt lss for the adjustable butt stock. Has worked well. We have an older Howa 223 with a 10 (I think) twist, that shoots the 62 gr. Fusions well for deer and antelope. But the 6arc would have been a better solution, one gun, imo had it existed.

I got a 6.5 Grendel for my grands to use for cow elk from age 9 until 13 ish. Had the 6arc been available in a bolt gun, I would have gone that way. I went with the Howa mini action in a mdt lss for the adjustable butt stock. Has worked well. We have an older Howa 223 with a 10 (I think) twist, that shoots the 62 gr. Fusions well for deer and antelope. But the 6arc would have been a better solution, one gun, imo had it existed.
I had a grendel in a howa mini action. Took a whitetail in ND with it. I couldnt get over the mag release location and kept accidently hitting it and dropping my mags while I was walking. Had to get rid of it. Loved everything else about that gun.

Wapiti1

WKR
When I wanted to hot rod my AR15 for big game, I went 25 WSSM upper with parts from DTECH and Jard. Barrel life is a bit reduced compared to other offerings. I went there for two reasons. First, 6mm is the min for Indiana and deer. Second, it seemed like a fun way to go. I wasn't wrong on that.

If I did one again, it would be a .243 WSSM with a 1:7 barrel. Well, when I burn out the first barrel, that is what I'll replace it with. I can't get top velocity due to mag length, but I'm sure that I can get DTAC 115's up to a respectable velocity.

As it is, a 120gr SGK at 2900fps is pretty effective on whitetails.

Jeremy

Tmac

WKR
I had a grendel in a howa mini action. Took a whitetail in ND with it. I couldnt get over the mag release location and kept accidently hitting it and dropping my mags while I was walking. Had to get rid of it. Loved everything else about that gun.
Have not had that issue. I got the barreled action and put it in a chassis.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I went the 6.5G route with a 22" Krieger barrel using Hornady 123 gr. I have only been hunting with it this year, but the deer and hogs that I have shot with it have been DRT.

IMG_1074.JPG

Loper

WKR
When I wanted to hot rod my AR15 for big game, I went 25 WSSM upper with parts from DTECH and Jard. Barrel life is a bit reduced compared to other offerings. I went there for two reasons. First, 6mm is the min for Indiana and deer. Second, it seemed like a fun way to go. I wasn't wrong on that.

If I did one again, it would be a .243 WSSM with a 1:7 barrel. Well, when I burn out the first barrel, that is what I'll replace it with. I can't get top velocity due to mag length, but I'm sure that I can get DTAC 115's up to a respectable velocity.

As it is, a 120gr SGK at 2900fps is pretty effective on whitetails.

Jeremy

I’ve recently stumbled upon the WSSMs and learned that theY fit in ARs. I’ve wondered why they aren’t more popular for hunting. Seems like you could get relatively high velocities in a semi-auto platform.

Why have you been dead quiet on here for 7 years but now pop up and spam the heck out of us with Grendel info? I wonder your motivation for pushing so hard (gram likes prob) and especially to take on Form who is one of the most highly regarded members here. You come across as a heel. Sorry. I’m truthful. 😉

Grendel’s are for babies. Gap 4 S that 6.5!
no idea who Form is/was, I saw a post that I disagreed with and that was pure coincidence

as for timing, also just straight up coincidence, I love finding data online anywhere, and will share it also, don't care about drumming up followers, no idea how to build a following or make money from such stuff, just try to share as a payback for all those who also share, my jeep page has like 500 followers and put out plenty of info there as I had fun building a new gladiator into the family redneck do all truck, other jeep people who know how to hashtag and all that get zillions of followers as jeep people are much crazier than hunting people, and they prolly make money too?, not my jam, did that for same reasons, happy to have found info on forums or 'gram' and just share my own back

as for here and the long hiatus, most of that likely too lazy to figure out what my password was, combined with just getting busy with kids or other life events/changes/work, and then got busy smacking things for 4 of those years with a Grendel, you could have heard my nonsense for 4 years I suppose or get it condensed all at once like now ;)

if you went back through my stuff you probably saw I contributed on optics, some other firearms and mule deer as I've got a bunch of good ones with the bow going well back into the mid 2000's, this just where things are now and just coincidence to share a solid amount of info collected over 4 seasons all at once, that's it, no agenda, no idea who Form is, surely through the magic of cyberspace text we will have figured out that this was more about the topic than anything else and we will see a ton of this very similar and both speak pretty fluent ballistics so can only lend to the overall cross section of information out there, his adds will be greater than mine as it looks like he piles up tons of critters with many cartridges with eyes on the terminal ballistics end of it and that's awesome info, dunno how one gets that many tags but right on lol, more the merrier, I only disagreed with him on what's the better AR Hunting Cartridge...no big thing, we're splitting hairs between the two anyway but nerds like us like to split those hairs, and others like to read it

No, not at all but when you pimp your gram page in 20% of your posts it kind of looks like your fishing for followers via dragging up drama but whatever.
as I said above, I built that page up to condense and catalogue 4 years worth of experiences, seemed like the easiest simplest way to do it, and referencing it only where I was called out to provide more for my 'claims', no agenda

I know I'm sorta like a finger in the bum, either awkward af and we're not likely to talk again, or a great time and we'll get along famously ;)

Last edited:

Actual_Cryptid

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve recently stumbled upon the WSSMs and learned that theY fit in ARs. I’ve wondered why they aren’t more popular for hunting. Seems like you could get relatively high velocities in a semi-auto platform.
I would suspect ammo cost and unicorn parts. I have only seen a factory WSSM gun from DPMS (Remington'd out of existence) or boutique makers. D-tech seems like a budget option but you're paying $1200 for a fairly basic upper, whereas you can buy or build a lighter AR-15 in 6.8, 6.5, 6ARC, .450 Shrubhamster, etc for cheaper. I remember reading the barrel life on the wssms was under 2k, with some seeing throat erosion after 500-600rd, which really limits your target demographic.

Sort of a case of trying to do too much with too little case, while you can run any of the .308-class short actions in an AR10.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

As stated- limited parts, limited availability of brass, some feeding issues and really short barrel/gas port life. The first two I shot were for competition and both were shooting 4-5 moa before 600 rounds.

Loper

WKR
Thanks for the explanation on the WSSMs. This all makes sense why it isn’t more popular than it is.

Axlrod

WKR
as I said above, I built that page up to condense and catalogue 4 years worth of experiences, seemed like the easiest simplest way to do it, and referencing it only where I was called out to provide more for my 'claims', no agenda

I know I'm sorta like a finger in the bum, either awkward af and we're not likely to talk again, or a great time and we'll get along famously ;)
All of the typing on a subject you have NO real world experience on = TROLL

Thank you Form! Confirmed I would like to build a lightweight 6 ARC, my Grendel turned out heavier than I thought.
Looks like Howa is going to build one for you. I bet they announce it more at SHOT, but it's already listed here. It's sure got me tempted for a 4.1lb gun.

It was pointed out that the other mini stalker rifles are listed as 4lbs 10oz.

Last edited:

woods89

WKR
That's probably going to get some sheep hunters thinking......

That thing with an SWFA ultralight would be really light.
It would be crazy light and recoil would be easy to manage. Plan on no more than 250yd shots and you've got yourself a winner.

If you put a dialable scope on it for a few extra oz you'd extend that range quite a bit, I would think.
For varmints and smaller game, but from the OPs post, 103gr ELD-X hits that 1000ft-lbs of energy threshold just past 250yds. Of course that was with a theoretical 20in barrel and this has a 22in barrel. Reloads could probably push that slightly higher and a 400yd shot on deer and sheep would still be possible.