Arca Swiss plate compatibility

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know which brands of ball heads and fluid heads use an Arca Swiss plate?

The discussion about ARCA plate compatibility seems quite common here. And if possible, I'd love to use Arca across everything.

Maybe someday when I'm bored, have time, or just submit to my ADD, I'll pour through all the threads and try to come up with a list myself. For now though, I'd love to hear whatever you guys know.

Maybe you can just share what head you have and if it's ARCA Swiss compatible.

Really Right Stuff BH-55LR head
Really Right Stuff Cinch Elite for binos
Really Right Stuff B76 plate for spotter
MDT HNT26 chassis with built-in arca forend

I can swap from my binos to my spotter to my rifle in seconds.

OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Really Right Stuff BH-55LR head
Really Right Stuff Cinch Elite for binos
Really Right Stuff B76 plate for spotter
MDT HNT26 chassis with built-in arca forend

I can swap from my binos to my spotter to my rifle in seconds.
I've admired RRS equipment (from a distance) for a long time. For now, I need (want) to spend my money elsewhere (rifle, optics, etc.) and I'll go for a less-expensive option for now.

The best value in Arca heads are Sirui, Slik and Promaster. We also have Gitzo as well. With the Rokslide pricing everything we sell is reasonable!!

Call me with any questions at 516-217-1000

Joel

OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
I’d look at a thumb screw clamp instead of a quick lock.
My new Sirui ball head has a screw clamp while my Manfrotto ball head has a lever to lock it down. There is a secondary mechanism that locks the lever in place.
What’s your budget and what are you trying to do?
Currently, I'm looking at the Sirui VA-5 level of cost (~$150). I love good equipment and understand the pros of having quality, functional equipment.
Your question of what is arca Swiss compatible is kinda sorta like asking what cars are compatible with 17” wheels.
There are plenty of threads/questions posted online about whether or not a brand was compatible with the Arca base. Also threads about just having compatibility across "whatever brand" they were using. Some posters talk of their purchase not fitting even though the product was advertised as such. It seemed to me to be a ubiquitous question and maybe worthy of a thread that spelled it out for folks.

What cars aren't compatible with 17" wheels?
What tripod heads aren't' compatible with Arca Swiss plates?

I don't think a standardized head/QR plate system would be too terrible to have.

BBob

WKR
Siuri VA-5. Best head for the money.
Yes a great head but if you use various make or model ARCA plates including different model Siriu plates you might have to adjust the locking lever between swapping plates. I found it to be annoying unless every ARCA plate you used with the VA-5 was the same make and model.

Any head with a quick lever might need adjustment in between swapping plates if they are not all the same make and sometimes models as noted above. Any head with a knob will most likely accommodate any ARCA plate.

Last edited:

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Arca is a term that has numerous different specs. For rifles, you will want the 1.5-inch RRS dovetail spec. This is what most of the firearm industry is using while the plates you get off amazon are very hit or miss. If you are wanting one for shooting/glassing I would recommend going to https://twovetssportinggoods.com/ that way you can buy a plate and a head from them that you know will be compatible. They are cheaper than the RRS but work pretty well for shooting off of! If you have any questions about it feel free to give us a call!

OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't phrase something well when I asked the two questions about 17" wheels and Arca plates. Sorry for you having to go through the explanation of each. Rather than try to explain my brain, I'll just accept my inability to easily convey what I'm thinking. :)