Archery Corridor Caribou

Buddy and I went up as we had heard the Caribou were along the road north of the Brooks Range. The Caribou were off the highway North of Atigun so after a night in a snow storm and no sign of clearing up we headed south. Started looking for Caribou once we got south of the pass and saw signs at the first place we stopped.
Spent time there and had several opportunities as we tried to pattern what was happening in this drainage. Finally put it together and got positioned. Had Caribou filter off the ridge and through a creek bottom where I was positioned but I didn't think my spot out quite right as they were walking dead away from me as soon as they cleared the trees. I thought they would walk out more but the angle was off. Finally had a shot and took the opportunity at 30 yards.
Saw blood and the bull ran to 85 yards where he stood. I saw blood so decided I'd try to harvest another. He joined the line and continued walking. A second came out and I shot - this one was off. He jumped and I knew I had messed up. Wearing gloves, kneeling in the snow, I was getting cold and it was hard to keep holding the bow as my fingers burned.
peaked slowly over the ridge and saw a big bull coming down and decided to try to get one more. More caribou came out to my right at 7 yards so I froze and let them walk by as that was the wrong way for how I was sitting.
Waited for that big bull but the string dried up. Looked and there were no 'bou above me. Stood up and saw another trail about 50-60 yards up the bed he came out on. Ran up about 30 yards towards some brush but they herd me and took off. Retrieved my arrows - the second cut hair only but the first was covered in material. Looked over and saw more blood. Let him sit for a bit when my hunting partner showed up. We discussed how it went and then started to track my harvest.
Unfortunately after 50-75 yards the blood stopped. The line went up a 100' bench so we climbed that and found the herd above us.
We stopped and glassed, but they were nervous. After several minutes of trying to spot him they started to climb the mountain up into sheep country. I was starting to panic and looking all over the grounds for a floundering animal. Finally started looking higher and found him climbing 1000' above us with the herd with blood on one of his legs as the sun hit him.
I'm still not sure what I did wrong - if it was the extra glove because of the near 0 temps, if it was the slightly awkward position on my knees in the snow, the cold, or if I just flinched on my first real true Archery hunt like this.

Pretty bummed and looking to maybe take some more time to try and get up there again and bring some more gear so I don't have to sleep in a truck seat.
Overall - good experience and I learned a lot about Caribou and Archery hunting. And having 75-100 Caribou filter through the trees and onto a creek within 20 yards was a great experience I wont soon forget.

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
Buddy and I went up as we had heard the Caribou were along the road north of the Brooks Range. The Caribou were off the highway North of Atigun so after a night in a snow storm and no sign of clearing up we headed south. Started looking for Caribou once we got south of the pass and saw signs at the first place we stopped.
Spent time there and had several opportunities as we tried to pattern what was happening in this drainage. Finally put it together and got positioned. Had Caribou filter off the ridge and through a creek bottom where I was positioned but I didn't think my spot out quite right as they were walking dead away from me as soon as they cleared the trees. I thought they would walk out more but the angle was off. Finally had a shot and took the opportunity at 30 yards.
I'm with you to this point...
Saw blood and the bull ran to 85 yards where he stood. I saw blood so decided I'd try to harvest another. He joined the line and continued walking. A second came out and I shot - this one was off. He jumped and I knew I had messed up.
^^Here's where you started to go wrong--don't go for #2 until you 100% have #1 down and located.
peaked slowly over the ridge and saw a big bull coming down and decided to try to get one more.
JFC.

I'm still not sure what I did wrong - if it was the extra glove because of the near 0 temps, if it was the slightly awkward position on my knees in the snow, the cold, or if I just flinched on my first real true Archery hunt like this.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
@johnnycake @Nick Muche You mean why did I make the post.
First time really getting out and doing a dedicated archery hunt like this.
I drew a archery sheep hunt in 2020 but didn't really know what I was getting into. I harvested a moose in the FMA and I've taken my bow out and tried but never gotten this close.
Was frustrated and trying to express and work through archery hunting - so I thought I would talk with other archers. I know almost every archer I've talked to has had moments where they didn't succeed - whether that was missing a shot, not finding an animal or whatever the case was.
First experience of this kind, with a bow.

Johnny and Nick - I have 3 pins set and then I have a tape and use my 3rd pin out to 70 yards. I haven't been shooting that far in a long time. I have been practicing at my house out to 50.
That bull went from walking away to broadside at 30-33 yards. I released. He was hit, I saw the arrow fall out and he ran to a bush I had ranged at 85 yards. He stood there and I saw the blood on him and I figured he was done. Then he walked back into the line and the rest of the Caribou filtered by. Would you have stood up in the middle of the herd? Commonly I see that people say after shooting the animal to wait 45-60 minutes before pursuing. I figured he was dead and walking to fall over and die shortly. How should I have handled the situation?

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
@johnnycake @Nick Muche

That bull went from walking away to broadside at 30-33 yards. I released. He was hit, I saw the arrow fall out and he ran to a bush I had ranged at 85 yards. He stood there and I saw the blood on him and I figured he was done. Then he walked back into the line and the rest of the Caribou filtered by. Would you have stood up in the middle of the herd? Commonly I see that people say after shooting the animal to wait 45-60 minutes before pursuing. I figured he was dead and walking to fall over and die shortly. How should I have handled the situation?
Here's the thing. I have not archery hunted in nearly 11 years. I'm not taking issue with the shooting you did as you described. I have successfully shot multiple animals on multiple tags in the same situation before (with a rifle). But I have never done that unless I have eyeballs on the dead one laying on the ground without picking it's head up before shooting the next animal. I really cannot imagine ever making the decision you did with a bow. I wouldn't have made it with a gun the way you described.

That to me is the cardinal error you made. Beyond that, it would be good to know how much you have practiced with your bow wearing all the winter gear you had on and in those temperatures. Practicing in the conditions I expect to be hunting in has always been my approach. Shooting a bow, rifle, or shotgun changes when you add a thicker coat or gloves. Don't wait to find that out when you're trying to shoot an animal.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
got yah.

Yeah this was uncharted territory.
I’ve practiced at 0 before. But never at that angle after having been outside for 4-5 hours. We hiked then I started getting cold so I bundled up to get warm.
That’s when the caribou popped up on the ridge so I dropped below the bank - put my back to it and waited for them to come down.
It was very different than the various things I’ve practiced at home.
I have a 3D target I practice with in various positions but this was different for sure and I hadn’t practiced anything quite like this.

I try to practice as I plan on hunting as well with my rifle and my bow.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Take-away #1: Reminds me of what Tony Russ once told me that his "winter conditions" bow kills had to be 50% closer to him than his "normal" shot range (<20 yards vs 40 yards) to accommodate for bulkier kit.

Take-away #2: It's rarely necessary to shoot at the first bulls you see beyond 40 yards near a crossing path. Lend patience behind a rock or bush near the active path and let the ambush come to you. This can be especially close range when bulls are rutting and blindly following cows.

Take-away #3: Law enforcement agents read our posts and watch our DIY videos. One of my elite groups posted a well-crafted DIY moose float video on Youtube a couple seasons back, and they just got served a citation from AST for deboning their rib meat in an on-the-bone area. Sometimes we might not even know we're admitting negligence until it's construed to be.

chucko

FNG
Wow you need to readjust your ethics bowhunting is serious and meticulous business even under the best of conditions . I would only concentrate on one animal and then on one hair on the one animal then on on the end of that hair I would let my arrow fly and then my entire focus would be on recovering that one animal period .

Catchfish

WKR
When you say the arrow fell out did it fall out on the far side or the same side you hit it. Was it a pass through?

MattB

WKR
IMO once that bull was hit, you should have done what it took to keep eyes on him. As stated previously, trying to kill a second animal without knowing the first was down for the count was a rookie mistake.

These guys are being quite soft on you.

There's no excuse for not being proficient with your weapon in the conditions you will be hunting in. It seems like you know that you need to work on that. My recommendation is to join an archery course with 3d targets and practice, practice, practice. Practice with other people with you to increase the pressure. Shooting at realistic targets is incredibly helpful. Don't have a 3d course anywhere close? Make one. Can't afford it? Get some judo points and do some field shooting at natural features.

The bigger issue is your questionable field ethics. Your post turns my stomach a bit. I really hope you are just trolling folks.