Archery Mule deer

What are some good units and what states should I look into (over the counter or 1-2 draw points) where I can learn how to archery mule deer hunt and get some stalks under my belt? I live in AR so don’t have any experience mule deer archery hunting experience but it’s my favorite species to pursue with the rifle. I plan on purchase GoHunt soon to help also, Any info would help, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chasewild

WKR
Don't think the only place to hunt mule deer is they high country. Nebraska has some incredible deer.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Thick stuff is good for archery still hunting in a stand, not for spot and stalk. I grew up hunting whitetails in Louisiana. Love the western style hunting now.

OP, look at AZ OTC deer. Aug/Sep or Jan depending on area. Once you buy license, you can start building points for draw as well.

I’d second the OTC Arizona in January. Target rich if you do your homework for down south. Won’t see many surpass 180 but you can be on 140-150 mule deer all day long. It’s nothing to make 3-4 stalks a day (it’s where I learned to stalk lol) so hopefully you require less stalking opportunities. But all those eyes from the bucks gathering their doe’s makes it really fun and intense hunt I love it

Pwells10

WKR
If you wanna look into Idaho, no points necessary. I live 5 min from one of the top 5 mule deer units in idaho. Almost impossible to draw a rifle tag (going on 10 years) but archery is unlimited draw. Which means you'll draw no matter what. Message me if you'd like.

ND is a draw but doesn't have a point system. You can hunt from beginning of September until the beginning of January. I would say the quality has dropped off in '17 and '18 from what I was seeing before but there are plenty of deer and still some decent bucks.

rwurdeman

FNG
South Dakota and Nebraska are both good options.

You do not want to come here to Nebraska. There is nothing here....The season lasts way too long and there is too much public land, let alone all the pressure you do not see during archery season.

I've heard Nebraska sounds good and the Dakotas. You don't want to come to Idaho--it's no good.:) The reality is you have to analyze the pros and cons of each option and there's lots of options available.

okcaveman

FNG
You do not want to come here to Nebraska. There is nothing here....The season lasts way too long and there is too much public land, let alone all the pressure you do not see during archery season.
I hunted the pine ridge country last year. Beautiful country! Saw far more whitetail than mule deer, but still was a great time. May go back this year

ND is a draw but doesn't have a point system. You can hunt from beginning of September until the beginning of January. I would say the quality has dropped off in '17 and '18 from what I was seeing before but there are plenty of deer and still some decent bucks.

This is not 100% correct. It USED to be that there was no point system. Last year the draw went electronic and a point system was instated.

Per email from NDGF, received 7/27/18:
This was the first year of the electronic bow lottery process so we are now able to run a weighted bonus point lottery. Everyone started this year with 0 points. Anyone who was unsuccessful will have 1 point next year.

Anyone with a point will have their name entered three times. People with zero points will only be entered once. Only residents may buy a point.

A description of the bonus point system may be found at https://gf.nd.gov/licensing/lotteries/general

Last year there were 502 licenses for 965 applicants, which means 463 people with bonus points. This year there will be 607 licenses. If applicant numbers stay flat, and everyone with points applies again, the odds of drawing without a point will be approximately 1/3.

I did not know that. Thanks for correcting me. I didn't see an update on the change last year on their website. As a resident I try to help non res as much as possible but I obviously missed that part.

I did not know that. Thanks for correcting me. I didn't see an update on the change last year on their website. As a resident I try to help non res as much as possible but I obviously missed that part.
It's not really your fault. The website does a pretty crappy job of providing info on the non-resident archery tag period and a lot of what I stated isn't there at all as far as I can tell. The staff are extremely helpful via email/phone, at least. Anyway I live just across the river in MN and am hoping for a tag this year, but with no points I'm not confident I'll get it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yea I was looking for something on there yesterday and couldn't find it. After a phone call and 4 different people I finally got an email with the answer in great detail. The staff is always very helpful.

Do you usually hunt out here archery?

Yea I was looking for something on there yesterday and couldn't find it. After a phone call and 4 different people I finally got an email with the answer in great detail. The staff is always very helpful.

Do you usually hunt out here archery?
This is my first time applying. I've never hunted ND at all. My past experience is a few years worth of deer and turkey in IL and MN, and after a year each in MN and IL with the bow I have yet to seal the deal.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

If you draw let me know and I can help you out with some starting places. If you don't you can get an otc archery whitetail tag and I can help out there also.