Archery Season Aftermath

I Just got back from an extended backcountry trip in Colorado. My wife and I started on October 1st after the Archery and Muzzy seasons had ended and I have to say I was very disappointed in what we saw from several campsites, most of which were almost certainly recently used hunting camps. We were picking up trash and cutting ropes and bale strings out of the trees from almost every large campsite we encountered. The worst campsite was 10 miles from the nearest Trailhead and had a bunch of trash with this lovely note (see photo) written on the side of a trash bag. "Friendly Hunters?" More like lazy slobs that make actual friendly hunters look bad. Don't worry though, we had pack animals so we carried it all out - and - cleaned up around the illegal fires they clearly had (there was a Statewide Fire Ban at the time they were there). Way to make hunters look like trashy backcountry idiots. Do us all a favor and stay home next fall. 1003200849_HDR.jpg1003200851.jpg1003200849.jpg

Sled

WKR
those type of people are that way in all aspects of life. they are lazy and rationalize things to fit their currently convenient frame of mind. being a hunter or not is irrelevant except that it makes other hunters look bad. pack it in, pack it out. Karma is a bitch and can catch up to you anytime.

RickH

Lil-Rokslider
I went out and found the same sort of crap. The slob camp I found was definitely hunters. They camped in a saddle of an old burn where elk usually cross . It either happened during muzzleloader season or the last week of archery. I ended up packing this out too.Slobs!.JPG

OP
Nickofthewoods
I went out and found the same sort of crap. The slob camp I found was definitely hunters. They camped in a saddle of an old burn where elk usually cross . It either happened during muzzleloader season or the last week of archery. I ended up packing this out too.View attachment 222863
Thanks for also taking the time to clean up after These morons, hunters or not. What was most disappointing to me is these were not roadside camps where this is more common, but instead were campsites several miles inside of a Wilderness Area. I don't usually come across so many in the Wilderness but we were finding multiple trashy camps every day this trip. One other camp had 10 or 12 Mountain House wrappers just scattered around camp as if the person that ate them just side-armed them into the Forest after they were done. They also had left TP and shit everywhere behind camp- plus had another Illegal fire of course.

Sled

WKR
I went out and found the same sort of crap. The slob camp I found was definitely hunters. They camped in a saddle of an old burn where elk usually cross . It either happened during muzzleloader season or the last week of archery. I ended up packing this out too.View attachment 222863
well, i'm not usually and optimist but i'll try. maybe this was a small group of hunters who's friend was attacked by a bear. it was all they could do to drag their friend and survival supplies to save his life. i'm sure after the emergency is over they'll be right back to take care of this mess because they are responsible individuals and know short of a life and death situation there is no reason to leave such a mess. yeah, that's gotta be it.

4BarN

FNG
This is sad and it seems to be like this everywhere. People just don’t care anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4rcgoat

WKR
There is no excuse for any of that,simple minded,gutless,spineless,hopeless,limp wristed little panty waist broomstick cowboys who THINK they are actually full grown responsble men.......pathetic.
I hope none of them actually spawned any offspring,makes me sick.
Good on you for doing what they cannot.

And i mean EVERY damn word i said.

Pisses me off, too.
I find trash piles all the time...it’s so disgraceful.

Mylar balloons are another way of littering in the Woods.
I Find balloons, just about every time I hit the woods.

Kudos to everyone cleaning up other people’s trash. I try to do the same when I come across similar situations.

It amazes me how little respect people have these days. Makes me sick.

dtrkyman

WKR
It amazes me the places I find trash, camp sites are automatic but I find crap way back in. People can be ignorant for sure!

I pick up a lot of trash, and while fly fishing I usually pack out at least a half dozen plastic bottles, last trip I carrying out a couple different miss matched flip flops, probably a turned over rafter.

Sorry to any Michigangers but in the past few years the worst "garbage dump" I have seen was on Michigan state land.

fmyth

WKR
Unfortunately it's rare to see anyone from the forest service, let alone see them enforcing any of their rules.
I recently saw a FS employee N of Globe putting yellow tape up around a lone picnic table in the middle of nowhere. I am sure this loyal servant is likely responsible for saving dozens of lives by stopping unsuspecting citizens from spreading the Rona.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve seen similar. At first I wanted to blame hikers and backpackers, but based on where the stuff was and what it was it’s apparent that the culprits were hunters. Most of the stuff I’ve found is from lunch. Empty cans, snack wrappers, etc. Odds are there are some members on here that think it’s ok to toss their wrappers and empty cans in the forest. Blows my mind.