Arctic Air Unguided Caribou Hunt

AKBorn

WKR
"Anybody using the anchorage sat phone company? I'm still working on finding either a Garmin or sat phone to rent."

Try Surveyors Exchange in Anchorage, 907-561-6501. They rent sat phones, have used them for years.

OP
Jackal7

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
We always use Cellhire out of Dallas for renting and buying sat phones. Easy to work with. They will ship right away after your rental order, or before the 30 day window of dates you need it. Rental is for a month. About $300.

(214) 355-5200 is their sales desk phone number.

BillB

FNG
+1 for Surveyors Exchange. We've used them when hunting through Fairbanks and they were very accommodating providing us with after hours pick up.
When using in Anchorage they will ship to you at home or to your transporter ( make sure it's ok with your transporter) or you can pick the phone up in anchorage. Return trip you can ship back, drop off at their shop or they have a drop off in the airport ($15) that is convenient.
They rent by the week or month.

Always been our choice
Good luck and have a great hunt

OP
Jackal7

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
Question about whether its worth the weight to bring a shotgun and shells for ptarmigan in Unit 23? We are hunting with Arctic Air August 31-September 7. My guys are at odds about including it in our 80 lbs per guy weight limit. Having never hunted Alaska before but wanting to shoot some ptarmigan, we appreciate any insight the veterans can provide us.

Note: I have a two gun case that is already cut and prepped for the shotgun. So only issue is whether its worth the weight in comparison to opportunities in the Delong/Brooks ranges. Thanks.

mooster

WKR
Question about whether its worth the weight to bring a shotgun and shells for ptarmigan in Unit 23? We are hunting with Arctic Air August 31-September 7. My guys are at odds about including it in our 80 lbs per guy weight limit. Having never hunted Alaska before but wanting to shoot some ptarmigan, we appreciate any insight the veterans can provide us.

Note: I have a two gun case that is already cut and prepped for the shotgun. So only issue is whether its worth the weight in comparison to opportunities in the Delong/Brooks ranges. Thanks.

I was considering ordering some "snake shot" for a pistol. Wasn't planning to tote a pistol, as risks didn't seem that great. But, if I could have it for protection and then also take ptarmigan, maybe its worth it.

We are debating the same thing. We hunt sept 1-8. Might be good protection for bears too. anyone have any thoughts on this

OP
Jackal7

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
We are debating the same thing. We hunt sept 1-8. Might be good protection for bears too. anyone have any thoughts on this
We decided against bringing the shotgun and shells for ptarmigan. Too much weight. We are each at or near our 80 lbs without it. Oh well.

We fly out on 9/8 sounds like we will see some of you all around town, best of luck to everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mooster

WKR
re: Ptarmigan
I bought some CCP 9 shot for .45 ACP. I shot at 10 yards, and the pattern was great 2-3' circle good even distribution. I then shot @ 20 yards, it was low and unevenly spread. If I can make weight, I'll take the .45 for the dual purpose of protection & bird hunting. We fly in w/Artic Air on 9/12

TSAMP

WKR
Just got out of field today. Bring bug spray boys. Its un reasonably warm right now and wind was almost non existant. Also bring a pad for your ass when glassing. Warm weather has slowed migration considerably. My group was successful but we had to work for it by waking a few miles and had some serious pack jobs. Also bring trek poles for hiking the tundra. All 3 of those items you will not regret having.

I hunted the area all though the 90's. It is not what it was back then. When we hunted there, we took moose over 50 and averged 340 P&Y caribou. The herd was 500,000 strong then, and it was still hit and miss. The Grizzly bear management was none, and that destroyed the moose and caribou herds. Now most of the area has a shut down as you must know. Only land left has very few caribou and almost no moose.
Kirk

TSAMP

WKR
TSAMP, what kind of numbers were you seeing?
Numbers were poor on caribou. Saw alot of moose and grizzly though as I was near a river. A good "herd" was a dozen or so at a time. Some days saw only a few. It was like 60 during the day and little wind. They were not migrating but actually heading back up north as it was to warm.

TSAMP

WKR
It just means you will have to work for it. Look for them and identify funnels from a glassing spot, then sit on those funnels. We killed 2 and 3 miles one way from our camp. Dont worry they are there and it's only getting colder.

Just got out of field today. Bring bug spray boys. Its un reasonably warm right now and wind was almost non existant. Also bring a pad for your ass when glassing. Warm weather has slowed migration considerably. My group was successful but we had to work for it by waking a few miles and had some serious pack jobs. Also bring trek poles for hiking the tundra. All 3 of those items you will not regret having.

With it being so warm what were you guys doing for meat care? Anything other than what’s stated above you wish you had/took?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk