Are duplex reticles dead

Struggling with scope selection for my 35 whelen. It will need to serve two roles, first iowa whitetail hunting field edges- 75 to 250ish with no woods hunting and second western elk/mule deer under 400 yards but the accubond 225gr should be good further I simply dont have the skills to be comfortable further. I have a Bushnell 2.5-10x engage sfp deploy moa reticle. But wondering if a simple duplex wouldn’t a better choice. I like the idea of mpbr setup but never really use it or dialing in my whitetail hunting experience since 250 yds is about max. I am firm believer in KISS especially hunting when shots my be rushed or adrenaline kicks in/brain fog- less thinking the better. If dialing is a better solution is it best to dial for distance and hold for wind? If it helps I attached quick dirty jbm chart @8k feet and a reticle picture
390c090f3943dc7e90c3105ced2d6297.jpg

97869cf97894b3290f4f2418e3f6313c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macintosh

WKR
No, duplex reticles are not even remotely close to dead.

I dont know that cartridge but my impression (maybe mistaken) is its not especially flat shooting. If thats correct a mpbr with a 200 yard zero will likely get you to 225 or 250 yards without dropping too much (2” or so below poa). Beyond that you might figure out a hold on the reticle post, but likely at a wierd distance.
Consider one of the trijicon credo’s with a mil-dot reticle. It’ll look just like a duplex most of the time, but you get a simpler set of hashmarks to use for holdovers at 9x for your western trips.
Ive used the bushnell reticle you have, a regular mil dot would be FAR less cluttered, so I personally find it simpler and easier to use.

prm

WKR
I would be okay if duplex reticles died off. All I want is a few MILs of elevation and windage and some bold lines to aim in pretty dark conditions. Edit: I want nothing to do with tree reticles or other super busy versions.

Last edited:
I would love a great duplex reticle. It's a shame that Leupold apparently has issues, because their firedot duplex is the ultimate hunting reticle for my eyes. I use a Trijicon Credo HX now, which is a great scope, but the reticle is thin and kind of busy with hash marks. I'll take a fairly thick and simple duplex any day of the week.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I would love a great duplex reticle. It's a shame that Leupold apparently has issues, because their firedot duplex is the ultimate hunting reticle for my eyes. I use a Trijicon Credo HX now, which is a great scope, but the reticle is thin and kind of busy with hash marks. I'll take a fairly thick and simple duplex any day of the week.
The nightforce shv 3-10 forceplex is pretty nice. I have that on my 30-06

OP
A
I would be okay if duplex reticles died off. All I want is a few MILs of elevation and windage and some bold lines to aim in pretty dark conditions. Edit: I want nothing to do with tree reticles or other super busy versions.

Does that scope exist? I have no need for anything with as many stadia lines as the bushnell but it’s what I currently have sitting around.

Macintosh

WKR
Does that scope exist? I have no need for anything with as many stadia lines as the bushnell but it’s what I currently have sitting around.

Well, heres a couple options for you that fit those criteria.

you could go with something like this:

Or my personal preference would be this:

Or this:

jimh406

WKR
I am firm believer in KISS especially hunting when shots my be rushed or adrenaline kicks in/brain fog- less thinking the better.
Sorry, I can't see KISS from your post. KISS would be invest bit flatter shooting rifle with good quality scope and practicing at the ranges you want to shoot under hunting conditions.

Fwiw, most people have no business shooting at 400 yds in hunting conditions. Even if dialed correctly and calling wind perfect, most people can't group inside the vitals of a mule deer. An Elk is a lot larger, but also can take a lot more impact.

So, maybe spend some effort finding out what your true range is in hunting conditions with your current setup and go from there.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
The Steiner t6xi 2.5-15x50 is what's going on my 35 whelen I'm building right now. I also have one on a savage 12 custom 243 and love it. My next custom rifle will have a 3-15x50 for the 270 weatherby and the 1-6 t6xi for the 375 ruger as it's a takedown rifle. The 1-6 t6xi would really fit your needs and any of the scr reticles are pretty close to duplex at lower magnification with great alumination they are also having a sale at cameraland on them and you also get free steiner binos with the purchase of one of the scopes. The 1-6 or 2.5-15 would be my suggestion for you.

Erev803

FNG
Is Leupold really that bad or is there so many out there that you see posting about problems? Normally people don’t post when they are happy with a product and there’s no problems. 🤷🏻‍♂️

TomJoad

WKR
Is that just a rendering error or is the reticle off center for a reason?
Rendering error, drawing pulled off the internet for educational purposes. Lots of folks aren’t familiar with #4 and #7 reticles in my experience.

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had several of the Leupolds (diff series) and have not had any issues as of yet. In my experience it is usually the complaints that get air time. Not a fanboy, as I have other brands as well.