Are there any “cool” sun or boonie hats out there?

I’m in same boat with pre-cancerous cells.

There was a good Kuiu boonie discussion the last week.

And if you like the NFL - you can get straw hat with your team (Go Cowboys).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
This is the answer. Sincerely.

Wouldn’t steer you wrong.

I found Boonie hats that have a wide enough brim to cover my neck will also bump into my pack in the back. Been running these Sunday afternoon hats for hiking and warm weather hunting. No fashion points but they work.

Last edited:

Fowl Play

WKR
Live in Florida…. Wide brim straw hats are the only way to go. Over 4” brim preferably. I like pelagic brand for the fishing theme.

For something that might not look quite as odd if your not fishing or eating at a boat up restaurant.

Agross

WKR
I’m guessing it’s warm where you are. It gets quite warm here in Michigan in the summer and I work outside. I’ve been wearing one of these hats for a few years, and now so do a couple coworkers. I went with one from cabelas years ago from guide gear. It’s light as a feather and breathable. I’ve tried and ttied to find em again but cant. If I woulda known that I woulda bought about five of em. I absolutely love it. I haven’t found anything as light and breathable and comfortable.
i would look more toward the fishing,ocean fishing type hats.
I just went to the dermatologist this past week and had a few spots froze/burned shot whatever you wanna call it on my cheek and around my eye socket. Kind of a wake up call to be more cautious.

Last edited:
Don’t overlook the option of a ball cap style with a cape. Sunday afternoons and OR work for me. They protect well and can be less of an issue in terms of bumping into things.

Those actually look really nice. They say no flop, is that true? Hate a floppy brim, and where we live it's windy.

Yes. I’ve had my Shelta hat 3-4 years.

I wear it on the boat and can cruise at 30-40mph without it flipping up or flying off.

Mines a little tight because I have a big head. But it’s definitely worth it.

I started wearing a boonie in the sun to avoid so much sun exposure as well.

I use the Shelta in the boat, a cheaper Columbia when hiking in the summer heat, and a lightweight Sitka when hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD Jones

WKR
Shelta is a nice choice as others mentioned above. I spent many weekends fishing tournaments and those hats were the gold standard

FLS

WKR

Ive had these for years. It’s hot and humid here in SC 8 months of the year. I wear them fishing, shooting matches, canoeing, doing whatever when it’s hot. If I don’t have to wear a hard hat, I wear them at work. A little floppy, but very cool and comfortable. I like a straw sombrero too, but a good one is not cheap and they’re fragile.

Got a screening for skin cancer and I’ve got some early warning signs so I’m looking for a better hat to wear in the sun. Saw the Sitka sun hat but I don’t want a camo one. My wife says I dress like a dad and the traditional boonie hat would be the icing on the cake. Is there anything cool and hip out there?

Columbia makes several boonie hats that have sun protection built in. I prefer the 5.11 boonies, for hunting, as the brim is stiff enough I can clip a flashlight to it and go hands free, the Columbia is too floppy, but does fold down to nothing.
In Florida we also use baseball caps with a snap on attachment that covers the neck, since the sun is not only shining downward, but reflecting up off the water. Check fishing supply stores, but I think it might look dorky just hanging out with kids. The boonie is better option.