Are you guys sick of tipping?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I can motivate one waiter/waitress to seek a better job to improve their life then my work is done.
Come on now, some are genuinely trying to make a living and get somewhere in life and waiting tables is a step in doing that. I’ll give you that some people are lazy regardless of what they do for work but I wouldn’t blanket them all that way. Also it can be the best fit for someone like a mom who stays home during the day then makes some cash from the dinner rush while her husband is home from work with the kids.

Lowg08

WKR
Union local 160 hands make great wages,annuity,pension and H&W doing power line work.
I’ve had a union storm chasing group after me for a year. I’d have to 6 weeks a year to make what I make now doing that

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Believe it or not. Most people unless they just love hospitality ( my wife) are working through school and it’s probably the most flexible job they can have. For example. In my mind I can think of, just out of the last restaurant my wife was at. Three RN, a mental health therapist, a really good beautician and a cool to restaurant owner. So it’s sometimes a necessity to get a better job when your the only source of income for yourself.
I slung beers, flipped Bergers, washed dishes and waited tables through college. It sucked balls, it was horrible. Long sweaty hours of dealing with shitty bosses and complainers motivated me to work harder so I could quit that shit sooner. It’s not something that anybody should do long term. I firmly believe that even the most average humans have far more ability to improve their lives than they give themselves credit for. There are better jobs and better career paths. If making 2.13 an hour seems crappy to you, don’t do it. Or wait tables in a state where servers get paid minimum wage (alaska).

Serious question for anybody who wants to answer: in states where food service people make the state minimum wage rather than the 2.13/hour is it still on the customer to tip?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
They generally do it because they enjoy it, or as a means to an end.

And you enjoy the service they provide.

If you think they don't deserve to be compensated for providing a service that you clearly want, that says a lot about you.
Again, they agreed to work for a set wage, what does it say about an employer than expects customers to pay their employee salaries?

I slung beers, flipped Bergers, washed dishes and waited tables through college. It sucked balls, it was horrible. Long sweaty hours of dealing with shitty bosses and complainers motivated me to work harder so I could quit that shit sooner. It’s not something that anybody should do long term. I firmly believe that even the most average humans have far more ability to improve their lives than they give themselves credit for. There are better jobs and better career paths. If making 2.13 an hour seems crappy to you, don’t do it. Or wait tables in a state where servers get paid minimum wage (alaska).

Serious question for anybody who wants to answer: in states where food service people make the state minimum wage rather than the 2.13/hour is it still on the customer to tip?
You act like minimum wage is a livable wage.

Laramie

WKR
A lot of people in this thread have a reading comprehension issue.

I also dislike automatic tips and agree that it tends to lower service levels. However, after reading how cheap some people are. I am starting to understand why they may be necessary. I would still rather they just raise prices and pay a standard wage.

Lowg08

WKR

I do agree with the longevity should not be a goal unless your my wife who loved it and loved people. My wife actually decided she was done and I make plenty to cover us. She said she didn’t want to see 40 doing the same thing she started at 15. I believe it’s a foundational job. Well kinda. I went straight to power work at 18 and 7 bucks an hour.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I also dislike automatic tips and agree that it tends to lower service levels. However, after reading how cheap some people are. I am starting to understand why they may be necessary. I would still rather they just raise prices and pay a standard wage.
What about servers in states where there are minimum wage for server laws? Is it still cheap to not tip in those states?

Lowg08

WKR

Hey speaking of automatic tips. We went to eat at a place the other day. Parties over 6 had 18% added gratuity. Our little waitress who by the way was extremely good. Leaned down and whispered to my wife. Don’t leave me a tip they added gratuity to the bill. My wife handed her a hundred.

wytx

WKR
Again, they agreed to work for a set wage, what does it say about an employer than expects customers to pay their employee salaries?
I bet they agreed to a set wags with tips involved not just a below minimum wage. The beauty of a system like that is a person can make a nice living of they persuade folks to tip them well. They also know there will always be cheapskates'.

ToolMann

WKR
I tip based on service received. 25% for my lunch meal yesterday, 15% at dinner tonight. The service at the local diner was way better than thr expensive restaurant tonight. We don't go out much to eat when home.

49ereric

WKR
I’ve had a union storm chasing group after me for a year. I’d have to 6 weeks a year to make what I make now doing that
good for you!
Annuity? Pension? Compare H&W? Not all about wages.
I am with local 49 and it was the best I could do for H&W,Pension and wages were far better than non union.
i am an average hand Happily retired.

The food service business has the lowest profit margins, most waste and highest failure rates as a result. Owners/operators have it tough and thats why the low wage and reliance on tips system works as good as it does......the owner can keep his head above the water without having a high fixed cost of labor and the waitresses/waiters do OK too as the customer knows the deal and if the service was good he knows he is obligated to return the gratitude. Generally, it works. Certainly you get shitty service sometimes just as the server gets cheapskate customers even though the service was spectacular. I always looked at it this way...if I can afford to eat out I can afford to leave a 15-20% tip and I know Im helping someone in a less fortunate financial position than I ever was. I wouldnt do it for 25/hour because the first asshole customer would end up on the floor....I have a zero tolerance for disrespect and servers get plenty of it. If the service was acceptable or better leave the generous tip or stay at home and eat your own makings. I got a flat tire yesterday but just made it to a tire repair shop before it was totally flat..the tire was ruined so it had to be replaced. I gave the shop owners employee a $10 tip for a few beers after work. I always tip the people that serve me well including my trainer helping me become a better horseman and I get lessons 2x/week and she gets a 25% tip each lesson. I always wanted to be paid well for my talent/effort and so does everyone else.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Automatically added tips annoy me, I usually just do not tip anything additional in those situations. I tip over 20% most of the time, so an automatic gratuity ends up being cheaper for me. However, I dislike tipping as it is confusing on who should be tipped (guides? Repair man? Etc.). I think a none tipping culture would be better.

The US is a service based economy, if only highschool and college kids worked as waiters most restaurants would have to close due to lack of staff. While any one individual can better their lot, it is economic moonshine to think all of society can do it.

I have been poor. I have worked shit jobs because I had to. I have taken shitty treatment from employers because I had to and it was the best I could do at the time. I gradually worked my way up to decent wages and steady middle class income. I have worked for tips (playing music). So I always tip something in almost all situations unless I’m treated badly enough that I feel the need to complain. In that case I tell them I’m not tipping and why. I usually tip 20-25%. I’ve often found that people who leave really skimpy tips are really well off and they are just cheap f***s looking to squeeze a nickel so hard it screams.

Yoder

WKR
Once servers are making over minimum wage, tips should not be required. I don't like this system but I always leave 20%. I know these people aren't making much.