Are you guys sick of tipping?

Wildgame

FNG
I used to tip 20% no matter what. I understand the servers make most of their money in tips. However, now businesses want you to tip when not much service is given, like take out.
I also used to tip 20% to Uber drivers.
I recently started to tip 15% because it seems I am getting dinged everywhere and something is got to give.

I think that in many cases service, especially in sit down restaurants, is affected by people who tip zero after the meal.. The server has very little incentive to give you great service on the chance that you are a tipper and especially a good tipper.. But letting them know up front that their money on the table and they can earn it or not, their choice, most tend to want to earn it.. If I were a server (which I have been while in college) I would much rather know that that the customer was not expecting my great service for nothing... I look at this as a business situation (which it is).. The restaurant has an owner who is in the business to sell a product and make a living.. He hires employees (servers) who act as sub-contractors. He pays them a min amount to show up, he feels ok with paying lower wages and assumes he has put them into a situation where there is no cap on their pay.. If tip make up the remainder of their pay they can earn more/less based upon their service and the level they motivate the customer to pay tips beyond the cost of the meal.. I never add the tip to the bill because every restaurant has different schemes for distributing the tips.. I want to make sure that my server gets my cash.. It is up to my server to distribute to other team members (cleaning, etc, etc) as appropriate... When I was in manufacturing we had a term that was used constantly and that was "non acceptance of non performance". We can only get good service by setting both our expectations and the reward for meeting those expectations (tips/gratuity).. Sorry that seems foreign to some folks, but I believe in treating others as I want to be treated.. If I were a server and a customer told me up front that there was a guranteed payback for good service, I'd respond every time..

jimh406

WKR
I'm in the camp that if you don't want to tip, that's fine, but don't go where tips are typical. I suggest complaining to management which will fix the problem and possibly get you part or all of your meal comped.

As far as automatic tips are concerned. I'd be ok with that to make up for those of you who don't tip. That hasn't hit my area yet.

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
i agree that tips are performance based, but in canada we dont have wait staff making 2 bucks a hour, thats crazy. Minimum wage here is 15.50 a hour i believe. I would have be be some real bad service to tip 0, normally tip 18-20%. I agree that you shouldnt have to tip for takeout.

MattB

WKR
I use 15% as the baseline, rarely tip less and often more for good service.

As was suggested before, if you don’t want to tip, don’t go the places where tipping is customary.

I’m a tipper, always have been, even though president Brandon’s fuel prices, if I don’t pump my own fuel, I tip them at least 5 bucks

I don’t eat out much, but when I do, my wife will try to sneak in and pay so I don’t tip too much

I have sport fished a lot for a living, and tips make it work, figuring the hourly wage is way low… if people are working a crappy job and have a good attitude, I’m tipping

Azone

WKR
Good/exceptional service and I will leave a tip. Shitty/rude service and I will not leave a dime.
When you see your waitress pull up in a newer car or she’s rocking a designer (maybe knock off) hand bag, iPhone and all dolled up with makeup and jewelry, that doesn’t exactly scream poverty to me either.
It would just be nice if people started tipping welders 20%, I’d be killing it then.
As far as pulling money out and placing it on a table then explaining what is expected, I thought that’s what two consenting adults did behind closed doors.

Good/exceptional service and I will leave a tip. Shitty/rude service and I will not leave a dime.
When you see your waitress pull up in a newer car or she’s rocking a designer (maybe knock off) hand bag, iPhone and all dolled up with makeup and jewelry, that doesn’t exactly scream poverty to me either.
It would just be nice if people started tipping welders 20%, I’d be killing it then.
As far as pulling money out and placing it on a table then explaining what is expected, I thought that’s what two consenting adults did behind closed doors.
I’m a nurse, which is basically being a waitress will trying to keep people alive- but every customer is having the worst day of their lives…. I want tips too!

In all honesty, I try to always tip well. If I have the money to eat I can tip as well.

Azone

WKR
I’m a nurse, which is basically being a waitress will trying to keep people alive- but every customer is having the worst day of their lives…. I want tips too!

In all honesty, I try to always tip well. If I have the money to eat I can tip as well.
After watching a family member in rough shape in the hospital the last couple weeks, you guys are freaking heroes as far as I’m concerned.
I’d much rather tip a nurse that’s saving a life than some entitled dip shit who cannot be polite.

*zap*

WKR
However, studies of the practice in America suggest that tipping is often discriminatory or arbitrary: workers receive different levels of gratuity based on factors such as age, sex, race, hair color and even breast size, and the size of the gratuity is found to be only tenuously related to the quality of service.

Tipping is an interesting topic.... As someone who has been a server and most who are servers can tell you at a glance who the tippers will be and they try to avoid those tables if possible.. The most consistent tippers are usually those folks who work hard for a living and can appreciate that serving can be tough. Some of the best tippers are truck drivers. I'm not at all implying that I layout a list of expectations for the server.. I simply make sure that they are aware that I am a tipper (usually a good tipper) and that the amount of my tip will directly reflect the level of normal service.. Most servers know without being told what an acceptable level of service is. My intent is in no way meant to degrade the server.. In fact the first thing I do is to ask the server's first name if they don't have a name tag.. Servers like to be referred to first name. Also, I start a very informal conversation by asking how long they've been a server.. Sometimes you have to consider mistakes as normal for newbies.. It is very rare for me to not leave some amount of tip.. In fact it is way more frequent for me to ask for a manager so that I can tell him/her what a great job the server (by name) has done for me and ask that that compliment is passed on to the server.. There are many things we can do as customers to make an otherwise very difficult job much better by letting them know we appreciate that they are trying.. I have zero issue in tipping very well when I know the server has been interested in making my dining experience as good as it could be.. This is even more true if it is an expensive resturant.. There have been times when I match or exceed the bill in tip because I know the server has done his/her best to make it a great experience for me. I just hate that it is expected of me no matter what the level of service has been..

True, it's not illegal to be an entitled jerk.

You're just taking advantage of other humans.
And those bullying and/or guilt tripping others to comply with their personal beliefs is perfectly acceptable? Odds are you’d likely not take kindly if someone rammed a belief down your throat. But it’s a America where it is fine to be a hypocrit.

Tips are ok but as a paying customer I should be able to tip less or not at all if so inclined (ex: horrific service).

On a related note, if you think this topic is bad read the threads about about tipping guides.

*zap*

WKR
And those bullying and/or guilt tripping others to comply with their personal beliefs is perfectly acceptable? Odds are you’d likely not take kindly if someone rammed a belief down your throat. But it’s a America where it is fine to be a hypocrit.
yup, some very disappointing comments in this thread.

CoStick

WKR
I spent a lot of time serving and tending bar, they good tippers way outweigh the non tippers, so I didn’t mind. Numbers always work out fine at the end of the shift. I just figured they did not have the means to dine out often, so I took care of them none the less.

You still remember those who didn’t tip though if they came back in.

Gutshotem

WKR
Most ridiculous thing ever. Waiters and waitresses complaining that they only make 2.13/hour…..,so get a different ******* job and don’t agree to work for 2.13/hour. Ridiculous how the restaraunts expect customers to pay their employees for them.
I guess I'll be the one to give you the bad news.... the customers of every business in America pays the employees wages, you just don't like the manner in which they are paid in this instance. And if restaurant owners were lining their pockets with the untold riches they saved by supplementing salaries with tips, they wouldn't have a 60% rate of failure.

MattB

WKR
And those bullying and/or guilt tripping others to comply with their personal beliefs is perfectly acceptable?
Personal beliefs/opinions are one thing, but the comp structure of the hospitality industry is objective and well understood. Those who decide not to tip because they don’t believe the pay structure shouldn’t be structured as it is doesn’t change that.

Like I said above, don’t agree? Don’t go. You can tow line on your belief while not short-changing the wait staff. Everyone wins.

Gutshotem

WKR
My wife was a waitress for I believe 23 years. I met her when she was working at coyote ugly ft lauderdale. Most waitresses only make 2.75 to 4.50. Then tips. Depending on the restaurant they may have to split with other waitresses or tip out the food runners. So they are nice to you when they are having hard days or kids sick at home and many other things. My wife is now stay at home because we have been blessed at my job. She bases her tips off of the service and once or twice a year we leave a large tip when we feel it’s merited. We have been blessed early in our marriage when our first kid was just a baby. Trying to figure out a bill and she would get a big tip or have a good night. If you go to your job you expect an hourly wage. These waitresses/waiters put forth their best face even on the worst days. Smile at you and run around waiting on you. So think about if you go to work tomorrow. Your getting 3 bucks for each hour but the rest of your day is based on your performance in random peoples opinions.
I think most people tip out of obligation. I waited tables for a few years in college and I remember a few nights providing poor service just to see what would happen and our tips were in the same range. Only difference would be is that you won't get that random hundo from someone you spent some time BS'ing with.

Tips are ok but as a paying customer I should be able to tip less or not at all if so inclined (ex: horrific service).

On a related note, if you think this topic is bad read the threads about about tipping guides.
The system we live in is the system it is.

Refusing to tip is no different than buying a general hunting license and refusing to buy tags because you don't like the setup.

That's the system that exists where you live.

Refusing to tip is like buying a general hunting license and refusing to buy tags because you think there's a better way.

Only you're taking from actual human beings just doing their job.

CoStick

WKR
I do think not tipping when you understand the system is theft, probably petty theft, pun intended;-)

At least you have control on how much, if tipping went away and the restaurants built in labor cost it would be more expensive than tipping.

Personal beliefs/opinions are one thing, but the comp structure of the hospitality industry is objective and well understood. Those who decide not to tip because they don’t believe the pay structure shouldn’t be structured as it is doesn’t change that.

Like I said above, don’t agree? Don’t go. You can tow line on your belief while not short-changing the wait staff. Everyone wins.
So again, your belief is the only way with zero room for exceptions.

Must be nice living in a world where you never receive horrific service.