Are your hunt clothes settled?

tdot

WKR
I'm another one with a full Kuiu kit.

I built my systems over years, and more or less copied the method for layering that I use for my ski and mountaineering gear. It is rare that I dont have 4 or 5 layers to choose from in my pack or on me. It may sound excessive, but it's versatile and I've gotten it to the point where it's as light or lighter then most 3 layer systems. Most of the kuiu stuff I have something similar in Arcteryx or Patagucci or similar. But I often find the Kuiu to be a better piece. I had some Sitka as well, but it's all failed me or irritated me in some way. So it's all gone. I also tried on some First Lite, it doesn't fit me well, so havent bought any.

The biggest changes this year have been switching from all Merino base layers to a Peloton 118 and 97 combo. So far I'm liking the Peloton, but more days and different conditions required before I switch completely. I've also added the Chugach to replace the Yukon. I think the jacket is a win, not sold on the pant, it doesnt have pockets.

Base: Peloton 118 and 97, tops and bottoms.

Mid layer: I dont really wear dedicated mid layers. Prefer the versatility of mixing and matching insulation and outer layers to suit conditions.

Insulation: Kuiu Kenai Jacket and an Ultra Top/Btm combo or a heavy down marmot outer layer but this is for -20 and below.

Pants: Arcteryx nylon pants... super light for warm days and dry ascents. Kuiu mountain pants (I think that's the name) probably the most versatile pant I own. Kuiu Yukon or Chugach, depending on the length of trip and expected precipitation, both can be worn as a stand alone pant as well.

Jacket: Patagonia soft shell, super light weight, extremely breathable, this can be worn as a mid layer or an outer layer. My most versatile jacket. Kuiu Yukon or Chugach, depends on the hunt and conditions.

Socks, toques, gloves - way too many options to list, lots of good options from lots of good sources.

It's funny, I dont give a sh!t how I dress day to day, but will spend whatever it takes to stay warm/comfortable in the backcountry in any of my sports. Versatility and lightweight have been the driving force of most of my gear changes in the last 10 years. Strangely I now have more pieces that do one thing extremely well, rather then a bunch of pieces that do everything poorly. I find this to be more versatile and generally lighter weight.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Applications like tree stand, glassing, still hunting....for active cold weather hunting there’s not much of a difference for me between that and my regular system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For non active super cold hunts I really prefer bibs over pants. I’ve owned a few different pairs over the years. The firstlite sanctuary bibs are probably my favorite right now. I wore them in -15 Fahrenheit this Fall up in Minnesota and they kept me warm all day. They are super quiet as well which is nice for whitetail stand hunting.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
No. We hunted in really tough conditions last November and decided to make some improvements. Primarily Sitka jackets. Our coats were so bulky it was really cumbersome.

Going with Traverse Cold Weather Hoody under Jetstream jackets. Should be trim and warm. We were very impressed by our Sitka gloves and have decided to venture a little farther in. Now to find that stuff for a reasonable price.

EuroOptic has a sale going on right now for Sitka gear just FYI.

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
I’m pretty much at the same point. I have my jackets covered but looking to pick up some down pants.
I’ll also be getting a pair of the EB Guide Pro work pants........when they go on sale.

Wow. Didn’t know they had these. Thanks for sharing this. I'll have to take a look now too.

4 sets of kuiu raingear??? That’s pretty epic. i just have one pair, yukon at the moment, I plan to just abuse them until I can get the stone glacier ones.

Yeah, now that I think about it, maybe I have a problem, or I just really hate being wet....no, no, I have a problem.
ca8f78fbc2ea0b3433eccde63af36762.jpg

When I opened the closet, and realized that I have a whole closet dedicated to Kuiu clothing, oh, and 4 more puffy (Kuiu Spin Drift), jackets and a Kenai jacket that I forgot about, yeah, Houston we have a problem. In defense of myself though, I’m also outfitting my 16 year old son, who just so happens to be the same size as me.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yeah, now that I think about it, maybe I have a problem, or I just really hate being wet....no, no, I have a problem.

When I opened the closet, and realized that I have a whole closet dedicated to Kuiu clothing, oh, and 4 more puffy (Kuiu Spin Drift), jackets and a Kenai jacket that I forgot about, yeah, Houston we have a problem. In defense of myself though, I’m also outfitting my 16 year old son, who just so happens to be the same size as me.

my problem is that I end up buying crap just so my friends who can’t afford it can go with me. I have like 3 PR49s 2 snow machines and a bunch of “loaner” rifles, I even have “loaner” sleeping bags lol.

Mt Al

WKR
Manufacturer doesn’t really matter.
again brand doesn’t really matter.
there are lots of good brands.
I don’t have any desire to “upgrade” to any of the hunting brands. I doubt it makes much difference. Basically, buy reasonably light weight stuff, in earth tones, that fits your body, that covers all the weather you are likely to encounter. Cotton best avoided. There isn’t much beyond that.

Preach!! There's so much great stuff out there. Only so many materials available as far as fabrics and insulation. So much of it is how they color it, pattern it and add the details like hoods, cuffs, etc.. We all have it good in every single piece of hunting gear, point is to get outside and use it!

For my kit, however, it's almost all Sitka just cuz and got it a long time ago and it keeps lasting with a few repairs here and there. Just had a zipper replaced in a Sitka jacket and it will most likely last another 6 years. I don't know the names of each piece but my kit is basically:
-Lighter early season pants - Dakota?
-Heavier mid/late season pants - Mountain pant?
-Any old wool socks that fit, I always bring an extra pair or two. When I get to where I'm going, I stop and switch out. My feet then bow and worship me because they feel way better with a new pair of socks.
-One cotton T-shirt on the way out the door and an extra in the pack. Same as socks, when I get as high as I'm going to get, I switch out. *I don't like the feel of synthetic T-shirts as they try to wick moisture out, kind of clammy. The cotton definitely absorbs the sweat, but it stays warm whilst huffing and puffing. Putting on the clean cotton T shirt after a climb is a small luxury, feels great.
-Fleece hoody half zip.
-Fleece vest over the hoody
-Sitka "jacket" , full zip, hooded - don't know the name of the piece, but it's what took over for the 90% jacket.
-Simms puffy jacket. Insanely warm, light and packable.
-Sitka light weight packable rain jacket.
-Quite old Simms full zip rain pants. Wish they still made them, so awesome. Need to replace these soon - or lose 20 pounds.
-Surplus insulated overpants - full size zips.
-Don't use long johns much, if ever. Even if it's stupid cold I wear the heavier Sikta pants and put on the insulated overpants when I stop and glass. Sometimes I wish I had long johns, but not often enough.
-Fleece beenie
-Fleece gloves. Need to improve glove part of my kit.

Had this basic kit since about 2007 and it works fine 99% of the time, just decide what to throw in the pack given the conditions.

Reactions: RCB

Xl? 😆

slick

WKR
Pretty much have it set. Then Stone Glacier comes out with some stuff that needs to get put through the ringer. Other stuff begins to have too many holes or zippers break, etc.

It’s constantly changing, cause it’s constantly being used for work and play and hunting- which is a mix of the two others.

Miboy86

Lil-Rokslider
I have been working on buying all Merino wool base layers and now have 3 different kryptek systems, but I also have Browning hells canyon speed system, a pair of Sitka fleece pants, od green tactical pants with a multi cam army top, the old school brown Carhartt pants, red plaid jacket and stormy kromer for when I wanna old school it. Pretty much have every season taken care.

for hot weather yes. kuiu tiburons and sitka core lightweight hoodie. keep a pair of columbia silver ridge shorts in case it gets really hot or i have a tough pack out and want to stay extra cool