Areas Grizzly Free in Wyoming Region G and H?

So I'd like to get out and hunt the west side of Wyoming for mule deer within the next few years. But I really don't feel like diving out on a backpack hunt in grizzly country by myself. Are grizzlies found all throughout regions G and H, or are there places without them?

Eagle

WKR
They are more rare the further south you go. That said, you could run into one just about anywhere in region g & h, but it's not likely at all. Where I was hunting this year (Hoback area), there was some black bear sign, but no grizzly sign at all. In talking with the biologist and co for the area, they both confirmed that grizzlies had been reported in the Wyoming range before, but its not something to be overly concerned with.

Aside from that, camping in grizzly country isn't something to be feared. Be smart and camp clean and you should be fine. Hang your food and meat if you can't get it out in the same day as you kill and make sure it's 10' off the ground and 4' from the nearest tree.

2rocky

WKR
This is the recovery area map. Eagle is right. I camped in an LE area that had the highest grizzly mortality from human conflicts and never saw anything except tracks. But a red angus bull at daylight about scared the crap out of me grazing in the sage!

GRIZZBEAR_MAP_IMG20000790.jpg

OP
M
Thanks for the info and map guys. Maybe I shouldn't rule out the southern portion of G...

HJW

FNG
Just hang your food, keep bear spray handy, and you should be fine...I can't remember the exact statistic, but I believe not a single archery hunter has been killed by a grizz in the last 15 years.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I wouldn't let grizzly bear dictate where you hunt personally….

Be smart and caution and respect them certainly, but don't not go hunting cause you might see one.

Grizzly bears are not waiting at the trailhead ready to stalk and kill/eat any human in the woods. 99.999% of the time you won't even see one. They along with black bears, wolves and mountain lions pretty much want to be left alone and will try to stay away from humans. Be smart about food storage and don't let fear ruin your hunt. You have a much better chance of dying while driving to the trailhead than even seeing a single bear.

AZ Vince

WKR
Grizzly bears are not waiting at the trailhead ready to stalk and kill/eat any human in the woods. 99.999% of the time you won't even see one. They along with black bears, wolves and mountain lions pretty much want to be left alone and will try to stay away from humans. Be smart about food storage and don't let fear ruin your hunt. You have a much better chance of dying while driving to the trailhead than even seeing a single bear.
Well said.

johnnylaw

Lil-Rokslider
Been to H three times and had a bear near camp all 3 trips, roaring in the dark at that so i believe there are plenty of grizz there in numbers. Camp clean and carry spray or protection to be safe.

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
I've been to H and the section I was in had no grizz sign. Didn't even see a black bear, but did see some sign

Oh, I don't doubt they're around. I always wonder how many predators I pass by within a few hundred yards when hunting. Even so, still not really concerned about my safety from griz. Once you get over the initial uneasiness of being in country where something lives that can kill and eat you, it's fine. Usually less people to compete with too (probably eaten)....;)

4ester

WKR
I wouldnt go by that map for actual distribution as I know for a fact it extends futher to the south. (2010 vs. 2015). Its possible to come across them but highly unlikely. A little higher probablity on a kill site.

house307

FNG
I know I'm a little late to this post, I just came across this website today. I live in that area. There are grizzlies, quite a few of them they say. With that being said, I wouldn't be worried. I've pounded ground in all of the mountain ranges around here for years and I've only seen 1 or 2 a long ways out from where I was.