Argali Carbon VS Benchmade Steep Country

RSC12

FNG
I'm in the market for a "buy once, cry once" knife (within reason).

I think the Argali Carbon is what I have been looking for (on paper) but I'm wondering if it's truly worth the difference in cost compared to the Benchmade Steep Country.

I'd like to say the Benchmade is good enough but don't want to regret not spending a bit more for the Argali.

Let's hear the thoughts.

Last edited:
OP
R

RSC12

FNG
This should answer your questions, the two knives you mention are part of this comparison.

Thanks for that. I read it before but I'll read it again. I think that's the review that made me lean towards the Argali. I think the Argali is probably the better knife, I just get hung up on spending the extra money.

I totally believe that you get what you pay for. I just don't have endless funds and have to justify the extra expense.

CoStick

WKR
Thanks for that. I read it before but I'll read it again. I think that's the review that made me lean towards the Argali. I think the Argali is probably the better knife, I just get hung up on spending the extra money.

I totally believe that you get what you pay for. I just don't have endless funds and have to justify the extra expense.
I have the carbon and serac. If only one, I would go with the serac. Not much weight penalty and does more.

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Argali Carbon and can easily say it is the best knife I have ever used. I have used an outdoor edge with the interchangeable blades for years but the blades are brittle and it would take 2 or more to quarter an elk. The carbon is very easy to hone back to razor sharp and can easily get through an entire elk with out needing to sharpen. 10/10 from me, I would highly recommend.

big217boy

FNG
I haven’t used the Steep Country but so far the Argali Carbon has performed flawlessly for me this year. Broke down a Bear in September and didn’t need to sharpen it at any point to finish the job. Touched it up on a leather strop when I got home and it was shaving hairs. Since then I’ve broke down 2 white tails gutless method without touching the blade. The knife feels great in my hand and fits nicely in my kill kit. I’ve been pretty good about not losing knives so the $200 spread over 10 years =‘s a minimal investment per yr for something that is reliable and makes the field processing easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregonboy

WKR
Another vote for the argali. It’s unbelievably comfortable in hand and the steel is superb.

montei

FNG
I have both and like both. But I liked the argali carbon better do to the ergonomics and size.

I have several hunting knives i rotate between(i love knives lol) but i dont have either of those. I have a goat knife skeleton tur, goat knife capra ti replaceable blade knife, benchmade altitude, and an s90v benchmade bugout. Favorite is actually the bugout right now. I just got the tyto black tip filet for deboning too, weighs 2ish oz. I'll probably bring the bugout and filet knife on the next backcountry hunt to see how that combo goes. Between your 2 options, i would definitely pick the argali and probably the serac. I wish more knives had a firestarter option, that is pretty sweet

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
You might check out Knives of Alaska. I have gone full circle from lightweight knife snob back to willing to carry a little more weight in exchange for more hand comfort during disassembly. I use an Alpha Wolf.

I have the black foot from Montana knife company that I like!
Those look really nice. Ive also been eyeing certain Winklers and half faced blades too. The iron will knife looks decent as well. Too many good knives out there lol..

I just got my argali and it is NICE. No regrets. Sheets fits great and the balance and feel of the blade is perfect

I'm in the market for a "buy once, cry once" knife (within reason).

I think the Argali Carbon is what I have been looking for (on paper) but I'm wondering if it's truly worth the difference in cost compared to the Benchmade Steep Country.

I'd like to say the Benchmade is good enough but don't want to regret not spending a bit more for the Argali.

Let's hear the thoughts.
if you are trying to buy once, cry once, you know how that works if you make a compromise because of price, haha... i sure do!

i would get the argali, i think it's the better knife, and though i love my benchmades, i prefer to support the smaller business when given the choice... especially when it's a better choice. i have several knives, some custom, my favorite isn't a hunting knife, but the blade steel is the best i have had my hands on for the task (holds an edge almost as well as my altitude but way easier to touch up in the field)

all of that said, i use my tyto for the vast majority of breaking critters down... have some excellent knives, but love the utilitarian aspect of the crappy cheap replaceable blades... i have tried to like "real knives" but have grown to love my little knives with no soul

that being said, the argali knife and belt combo looks pretty sweet if you could actually keep your knife workable with their belt... it's a cool idea.

if i were to do it over, i would have bought the argali in place of the benchmade altitude... i may be odd man out here, but the S90v doesn't stay sharp enough for me through an elk, and is hard to bring back in the woods without a substantial sharpener (like the worksharp guided field sharpener, or the benchmade branded one, but those weigh like 8oz, may as well just bring more knives... or a more user friendly one in the field. i think the argali knives will be great for the task

OP
R

RSC12

FNG
if you are trying to buy once, cry once, you know how that works if you make a compromise because of price, haha... i sure do!

i would get the argali, i think it's the better knife, and though i love my benchmades, i prefer to support the smaller business when given the choice... especially when it's a better choice. i have several knives, some custom, my favorite isn't a hunting knife, but the blade steel is the best i have had my hands on for the task (holds an edge almost as well as my altitude but way easier to touch up in the field)

all of that said, i use my tyto for the vast majority of breaking critters down... have some excellent knives, but love the utilitarian aspect of the crappy cheap replaceable blades... i have tried to like "real knives" but have grown to love my little knives with no soul

that being said, the argali knife and belt combo looks pretty sweet if you could actually keep your knife workable with their belt... it's a cool idea.

if i were to do it over, i would have bought the argali in place of the benchmade altitude... i may be odd man out here, but the S90v doesn't stay sharp enough for me through an elk, and is hard to bring back in the woods without a substantial sharpener (like the worksharp guided field sharpener, or the benchmade branded one, but those weigh like 8oz, may as well just bring more knives... or a more user friendly one in the field. i think the argali knives will be great for the task
Awesome. Thanks for your thoughts on this. I agree that I think the Argali fits more to what I'm looking for.