Arizona Coues deer outfitter

barrister

WKR
I’m planning a Coues deer hunt in Arizona for 2023. I’ll have 3 years of points built up for the 2023 draw. It will be a rifle hunt. I’ve got a few leads on outfitters based on my internet searches and checking outfitter websites. I’d love to get any first hand outfitter recommendations from forum members who have hunted with a good outfitter.

Well dang. I didn’t realize you had to have points to hunt coues deer in AZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

barrister

WKR
Well dang. I didn’t realize you had to have points to hunt coues deer in AZ

I don't know that you do. Are you being sarcastic or serious? I know that points are sold and since I will likely only be hunting these once in my life, I didn't want the draw to be a potential limitation in hunting location or in any other way. Even if not needed, the cost of the points for a few years in advance planning was not a material factor for me to not acquire them.

If you are going to use a rifle for big game species, then you need to be drawn. There are OTC exceptions for lion and some units for bear.

Tons of units you can hunt Coues in. Figure out what type of terrain you want to hunt in, when you want to hunt them, etc.

Diamond Outfitters has a strong presence.

OP
B

barrister

WKR
If you are going to use a rifle for big game species, then you need to be drawn. There are OTC exceptions for lion and some units for bear.

Tons of units you can hunt Coues in. Figure out what type of terrain you want to hunt in, when you want to hunt them, etc.

Diamond Outfitters has a strong presence.
I'm obviously learning, so happy to hear any advice or experience you have. Is the type of terrain decision mostly about what level of exertion/comfort I want, or is there also a correlation between terrain and the likelihood of success? I would like a giant deer of course, but I'm more interested in the experience and success on a decent/representative animal.

I don't know that you do. Are you being sarcastic or serious? I know that points are sold and since I will likely only be hunting these once in my life, I didn't want the draw to be a potential limitation in hunting location or in any other way. Even if not needed, the cost of the points for a few years in advance planning was not a material factor for me to not acquire them.

No sarcasm. I don’t know anything about hunting Arizona so I was asking more than anything.

I'm obviously learning, so happy to hear any advice or experience you have. Is the type of terrain decision mostly about what level of exertion/comfort I want, or is there also a correlation between terrain and the likelihood of success? I would like a giant deer of course, but I'm more interested in the experience and success on a decent/representative animal.
Can be successful in any of terrain types that Coues inhabit. Cooler in the mountains but you’ll see fewer deer. Warmer down low but you’ll usually see more deer due to the ability to glass.

I’d go for the true Southwest experience and hunt them in the southern portion of the state.

Learn to shoot accurately at extended distances from a variety of shooting positions, including uncomfortable ones. Taken the bulk of my Coues in the 425-625 yard range.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You are planning for 2023… They won’t release the official hunt dates until the Spring of 2023. Once you figure out which hunt you think you will want (talk to outfitters) then you will need to put in for what you want before the deadline normally in June. Your hunt will be anytime from early Fall to early Winter depending on which hunt you prioritize and/or potentially draw. You can get an idea of when the hunts will be by looking at 2021 hunt dates (2022 deer hunts aren’t posted yet).

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You do know that Coues deer aren’t “giants” correct? These are small desert whitetailed deer that are closer in body size to coastal black tails than mule deer or whitetail deer.

OP
B

barrister

WKR
You do know that Coues deer aren’t “giants” correct? These are small desert whitetailed deer that are closer in body size to coastal black tails than mule deer or whitetail deer.
Yes, definitely aware of their size. I’ve hunted a number of other species in various locations. Coues is coming up on the list and I’m mainly interested in picking a good outfitter.

Jbxl20

WKR
Sorry I can’t help you out with an Outfitter but I’ll be interested to see how your hunt goes. I really want to do deer hunt in AZ, preferably with a bow. I’m from PA, but was hiking/scouting in Scottsdale area last February. We did run into some coues deer but The terrain is so different from the PA/Ohio whitetail woods I don’t know how I would ever seal the deal. Definitely make sure you have good glass! Good luck 👍

OP
B

barrister

WKR
Looking at Diamond Outfitters, AZ Ground Pounders, AZ Guided Hunts (Pat Feldt) and A3 Trophy Hunts. Appreciate any additional experience with these outfitters. Other suggestions still welcome. Thanks!

Contact Rob Hardy (907-355-5291). He offers highly personalized long-duration trophy big game hunts in Arizona, plus he personally guides all hunts. His prices are competitive.