Arizona desert bighorn

NoWiser

WKR
That is awesome!! But, I think you should double check because that was supposed to be my tag. Please let us know how your hunt goes. You are getting to experience something the vast majority of us will only get to dream about. Congrats!

BBob

WKR
That’s a fantastic unit. The views from the rim looking into the Paria are beautiful. I’ve assisted on that hunt. You can make it an easy hunt or you can make it harder. You can hunt the rims of the Paria or make it harder and pack in. You’ll want big glass here, 15’s generally won’t cut it alone. There are rams in the Vermillion but more are taken on the Paria side. You’ll find cameras on all the more accessible springs nearly year round. There’s some serious soft sand in areas on the plateau so if you head out there go prepared because there is very little to no traffic out there and no cell service to bail you out. There are other areas with soft sand too so beware. Feel free to touch base if you’d like.D7A75F19-45F8-44C0-9BEC-A996EAAE16DD.jpeg

Last edited:

hunt1up

WKR
I was just looking over my preference point spreadsheet and thought to myself, "Dang, I've only got 7 AZ sheep points." Then I hop on Rokslide and find this thread where some NR draws with 8. Congrats on the tag and for giving me some hope for the future! :cool:

OP
Steve759

Steve759

FNG
That’s a fantastic unit. The views from the rim looking into the Paria are beautiful. I’ve assisted on that hunt. You can make it an easy hunt or you can make it harder. You can hunt the rims of the Paria or make it harder and pack in. You’ll want big glass here, 15’s generally won’t cut it alone. There are rams in the Vermillion but more are taken on the Paria side. You’ll find cameras on all the more accessible springs nearly year round. There’s some serious soft sand in areas on the plateau so if you head out there go prepared because there is very little to no traffic out there and no cell service to bail you out. There are other areas with soft sand too so beware. Feel free to touch base if you’d like.

Thanks for sharing this and the photo. I am beyond excited for this hunt. The more hunters I talk to, the more I realize how crazy lucky I was to draw this tag. I am that guy who never wins anything. One time I lost 12 college basketball bets in a row in Vegas. This was against the spread. Do you realize how close to impossible that is? Lol.

Guy

Lil-Rokslider
OUTSTANDING!

What a great tag. :) Very happy for you. You're right, it's incredible odds, yet you drew.

Now, go have one heck of a great hunt.

Regards, Guy

BBob

WKR
Thanks for sharing this and the photo. I am beyond excited for this hunt. The more hunters I talk to, the more I realize how crazy lucky I was to draw this tag. I am that guy who never wins anything. One time I lost 12 college basketball bets in a row in Vegas. This was against the spread. Do you realize how close to impossible that is? Lol.

I figured the photo might be inspirational. That is off of the main canyon viewpoint, you'll almost be sure to meet others here and nearby looking for sheep and there are almost always sheep to be seen. It's not a hard unit to figure out how to hunt if self supported and if you hire a guide you'll be set.

If you get time swing over to the SW corner of the unit and check out the California Condors. It's not far out of the way and you may end up driving by anyway. They are always up on the cliffs and or flying around. Often one of the Wildlife Feds is there doing the daily survey and they are usually open for questions.

Last edited:
OP
Steve759

Steve759

FNG
Been busy, so just now posting pics. The hunt was epic and truly an experience of a lifetime for me. I can’t thank my guide enough. He was unstoppable, always optimistic, and a real professional. It was an adventure filled with multiple highs and lows with an uncertain ending that left me physically and mentally exhausted. I will never forget it. I’m thankful to the beautiful state of Arizona for this amazing opportunity, and I hope to someday have another chance to pursue a bighorn sheep. It was just a magical experience for me.
EB82D9D7-5F13-427B-A762-7B7D10E8E622.jpeg

Attachments

• 22F0E45D-E7DC-49B5-AC0E-865D268DA39E.jpeg
    22F0E45D-E7DC-49B5-AC0E-865D268DA39E.jpeg
    492.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Been busy, so just now posting pics. The hunt was epic and truly an experience of a lifetime for me. I can’t thank my guide enough. He was unstoppable, always optimistic, and a real professional. It was an adventure filled with multiple highs and lows with an uncertain ending that left me physically and mentally exhausted. I will never forget it. I’m thankful to the beautiful state of Arizona for this amazing opportunity, and I hope to someday have another chance to pursue a bighorn sheep. It was just a magical experience for me.
View attachment 244835
Congrats, nice sheep!

OP
Steve759

Steve759

FNG
Forgot to mention that while the flavor is good, the meat is tough as shoe leather. Backstrap aged 10 days and cooked medium rare wore our jaws out!

Might have to use the meat grinder or slow cooker on the rest. A ramburger sounds good.

Congrats on the ram. Your experience with eating sheep mirror's mine. Flavor is decent to good, but it is tough as leather. Best to grind it all up and then do it again. haha.

Broomd

WKR
Congrats on a great ram in amazing country; dream of a lifetime for any hunter.
Congrats on the ram. Your experience with eating sheep mirror's mine. Flavor is decent to good, but it is tough as leather. Best to grind it all up and then do it again. haha
The unit I hunted bighorn in the Idaho Bruneau/Jarbidge plateau was badly burned and thereafter Idaho F&G heli-seeded that area extensively.
I remember hiking miles through chest-high wheat tassels right up to the rim of the sheep canyons.
Best game meat I've ever eaten was grass/wheat-fed bighorn. Sensational.