How many non residents have drawn bighorn tag in Arizona without max points?

flyingbrass

Lil-Rokslider
How many non residents have drawn bighorn tag in Arizona without max points? I just drew a desert tag in Nevada unit 211 so now I'm thinking about making a change in my strategy. I already got my Stone sheep in 2010 and my Dall sheep in 2014 so obviously I'd like to have my grand slam. Normally I'd put in for desert in Az but now that I got that tag for this winter I'm considering bighorn in AZ. I can't tell if any nonresident has drawn bighorn in AZ without max points. Thanks.

So three choices for you:

1) Dive into the bonus pass/1-2 pass on AZ and understand how it works you can make a determination if it's max points holders based on % given to NR.

2) Call an AZ outfitter known for bighorn sheep to discuss options.

3) Pay $30-50k in Mexico.

OP
flyingbrass

flyingbrass

Lil-Rokslider
So three choices for you:

1) Dive into the bonus pass/1-2 pass on AZ and understand how it works you can make a determination if it's max points holders based on % given to NR.

2) Call an AZ outfitter known for bighorn sheep to discuss options.

3) Pay $30-50k in Mexico.
I looked at last year and it looked like nobody drew bighorn in AZ unless max points but that doesn't sound right. I would like the name of an outfitter in AZ that is known for bighorns. thanks in advance.

I assume you are talking Rocky Mt Bighorn Sheep as opposed to a Desert Bighorn Sheep?

I have a NR friend who drew an AZ Rocky Bighorn tag with no points. Was about 10-15 yrs ago but he got lucky and drew his first time putting in. Killed one with a bow on the hunt.

OP
flyingbrass

flyingbrass

Lil-Rokslider
I assume you are talking Rocky Mt Bighorn Sheep as opposed to a Desert Bighorn Sheep?

I have a NR friend who drew an AZ Rocky Bighorn tag with no points. Was about 10-15 yrs ago but he got lucky and drew his first time putting in. Killed one with a bow on the hunt.
Yes rocky mountain bighorn.

schmalzy

WKR
As far as I know the only way to hunt a Big Horn In Texas is on the random draw with TPWD. Only one tag per year typically is issued.

If you mean deserts, I could be mistaken but I’m pretty sure you can buy a six figure landowner tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chav0_12

FNG
I looked at last year and it looked like nobody drew bighorn in AZ unless max points but that doesn't sound right. I would like the name of an outfitter in AZ that is known for bighorns. thanks in advance.
When you/if you understand the AZ draw system you’ll know that it’s very likely. Max points can get all the tags if there’s only one or two. Bonus pass goes, and then only 20% to non residents means the chances of getting a non-res tag go way down. Your chances are pretty slim to none, that doesn’t stop me from applying for the tags every year since I lost my AZ residency. The biggest mistake I made was not buying the lifetime license before I got out of the army.

I do believe Jay Scott and their outfit does a number of sheep hunts but that might be though to get into though.

Put in if you're good with spending money for an unknown amount of time on a snow ball's chance in DC.

If you really want to get a Rocky, hit every applicable hunt lottery out there, look at all application hunt auctions, regularly check for cancellations, etc.