Arizona draw results

Well darn it, its true. I did not draw that premium archery tag with 2 points. Glad to have 3!

I got drawn for late archery bull in 23.

Dang. Hoping for the late rifle.

So should I put away the struggle stick and bring out the compound for this hunt?! I’m really stressing over this.

Maverick940

Banned

So should I put away the struggle stick and bring out the compound for this hunt?! I’m really stressing over this.
By "struggle stick", I presume you're talking about traditional tackle. You could bring both and pick your poison on whatever day. That's a darn good tag you drew.

Sadler

WKR
My dad, brother and my brothers father-in-law all drew a unit 27 late rifle bull tag. They had 2 points a piece and are non-residents. Talk about lucky!!

Maverick940

Banned
My dad, brother and my brothers father-in-law all drew a unit 27 late rifle bull tag. They had 2 points a piece and are non-residents. Talk about lucky!!
Awesome! That's fantastic. Good for you guys! Zillions of bulls in that unit. I just got word that I'll be hunting in Unit 21 (late bull). Had two points and a Hunter Ed Point and drew it! Unbelievable! I'm stoked!

Rmdykeman

FNG
First time applying in Arizona (didn't draw and didn't expect to) but my account says "No Sportsman ID linked to account." I didn't notice it until today...I am hoping that doesn't keep me from getting my point? Anyone know?

Did you set up your account? If I’m not mistaken the portal needs to be set up prior to logging in. Can’t just enter your info and have the results come up like they used too. Shout if ya need any help.

Jakeb

Lil-Rokslider
Drew my first elk tag in 22S late archery. Anybody familiar with it? Looks like the odds are against me in the unit and hunt, but at least I have a tag this year.

Maverick940

Banned
Drew my first elk tag in 22S late archery. Anybody familiar with it? Looks like the odds are against me in the unit and hunt, but at least I have a tag this year.
Good unit, especially late archery. I just spent the part of the past four months scouting that unit. There's some big bulls in there. Picked up some nice sheds and saw a couple of whoppers.

What side of the beeline are you going to hunt? Good road access on the west side.

Either way, lots of glassing and lots of tough terrain to hike.

Sounds like we are in the same boat.

I know where the bulls are in my unit, just trying to figure out how to hunt them.

Spot and stalk or sit water.

Jakeb

Lil-Rokslider
What side of the beeline are you going to hunt? Good road access on the west side.

Either way, lots of glassing and lots of tough terrain to hike.

Sounds like we are in the same boat.

I know where the bulls are in my unit, just trying to figure out how to hunt them.

Spot and stalk or sit water.

I really have no idea lol. I need to do more research on the area. Ideally I’d like to get into one of the wilderness areas and do more spot and stalking while keeping an open mind about sitting water holes I may come across. I just haven’t found much as far as a confirmation that the wilderness areas have a descent population of elk in them. Seems like they could potentially be pretty dry.

My general hunting strategy is to get away from roads and other hunters, while always trying to think outside the box on overlooked areas. Hopefully that Strategy will work on my first elk hunt.

I really don’t like the idea of sitting water, but I’m prepared to do whatever it takes to get a bull down. Going to devote nearly everyday of the season to hunting and will be in the best shape possible.

Maverick offered to pack meat for me via PM so that’s reassuring as I’ll be solo.

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider

I did this hunt two Novembers ago. There are some great bulls in there, it will be especially so given the moisture the state is seeing this year. The odds are stacked against you in most spot and stalk situations given the terrain and brush. The only bulls we saw taken were over water. One possible solution would be to use the compound when stalking and the struggle stick when sitting?

jmcd22

WKR
Did you set up your account? If I’m not mistaken the portal needs to be set up prior to logging in. Can’t just enter your info and have the results come up like they used too. Shout if ya need any help.

I think so. I have an account that I log in to that has all of my information and it allowed me to enter into the draws...if that is what you mean? I did call F&G before the draw application period closed to ask if I was good to go with my applications and I was told that I was good to go.