Arizona spring bear

Dkahanek1

FNG
Heading to Arizona beginning of April to hunt spring bear. Its my first time hunting black bear but not my first time hunting western big game. I was just curious if anyone had any helpful pointers they would care to share. Ive been doing tons of escouting and have several plans and backups to all those incase units are closed when i get there or close while i get there. Thanks for any advice.

OP
Dkahanek1

Dkahanek1

FNG
Im headed that way on the 3rd. Hoping to start in northern part of unit 27

ZRob97

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be out giving it my second try, seems to be very weather dependent and if coming from out of state I'd recommend calling azdfg for info and monitoring weather close to the hunt. I tried 3C two years ago and it was still snow packed pretty good, GOhunt shows only one bear was taken in that unit that spring season for what that's worth. Spent 4 days out and saw no sign and only one other truck.

General tips given to me is to stay out of the snow for foraging bears and glass canyon sides early and late in the day. I'd recommend units with decent elevation differences down and out of the snow (rim country).

OP
Dkahanek1

Dkahanek1

FNG
I'll be out giving it my second try, seems to be very weather dependent and if coming from out of state I'd recommend calling azdfg for info and monitoring weather close to the hunt. I tried 3C two years ago and it was still snow packed pretty good, GOhunt shows only one bear was taken in that unit that spring season for what that's worth. Spent 4 days out and saw no sign and only one other truck.

General tips given to me is to stay out of the snow for foraging bears and glass canyon sides early and late in the day. I'd recommend units with decent elevation differences down and out of the snow (rim country).
Ive located a lot of south facing canyon faces that look like they have good food, close water and close cover. Wont know anything for certain until i get boots on the ground but i at least have a starting point. I was glad to read your comment and see im thinking the right way about finding them.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck, I have scouted a couple of units with my son and not found much. The word is that spring bear in Arizona is a tough hunt. I am planning a fall hunt with my son and a friend of his right now. Likely unit 27. Any reports would be welcome.

Well for those of us heading up next week, the weather doesn't look very "spring bear'y". Going to ride out the cold and hopefully stumble upon one. It snowed quite a bit yesterday from what I could tell on the weather app1711569792884.png

OP
Dkahanek1

Dkahanek1

FNG
Ive noticed the same thing, been keeping up with weather as well. Still going to give it a go and hope the sun stays out and warms up some southern slopes. They should still be out and about roaming. Im really looking forward to a fun challenging hunt, ill call it a win just to spot a bear on my first trip out.

Find greenup and cover you will find bears. Find your own water source. Some spots can be very rugged and my limiting factor was finding water for myself. Having to carry all your water makes it a really tough hunt

Is the Blue River dry? Really wasn't worried about water considering that the river runs right through the middle of the unit

COelk89

FNG
The first thing I would worry about is water in Arizona. It is dryer than far west Texas...a river in the middle of a unit is pretty irrelevant...and a river in AZ could definitely be ephemeral. You can die of thirst any time of year.

Well, it snowed all weekend & the lows aren't expected to get above freezing anytime next week. My sleeping bag is rated for 30 degrees. I am going to freeze my butt off.

OP
Dkahanek1

Dkahanek1

FNG
Well, it snowed all weekend & the lows aren't expected to get above freezing anytime next week. My sleeping bag is rated for 30 degrees. I am going to freeze my butt off.
Headed that way this afternoon, good luck out there. Maybe we will run into each other

OP
Dkahanek1

Dkahanek1

FNG
Had a great trip but unfortunately didnt find any bears. I have a feeling the snow and cold weather may have them coming out late. Found several good food sources once i dropped elevation but never found any sign. Ended up hunting couple different units just trying to find some kind of bear activity. Talked to couple local hunters who werent finding any sign either. Saw tons of other game, deer, elk, turkeys, javelina etc but no bear. Going to give it another shot this fall.

Gray_Law

FNG
Is the Blue River dry? Really wasn't worried about water considering that the river runs right through the middle of the unit
Yes sir, the term "river" here in Arizona is loose at best. A blue line river, just means that is where water "might" be if it rains, or there is decent snow melt. I can be, and often is, gone in less than a day. BUT....that said, this time of year you can usually find water in the swale of one of the washes (dry river) if you dig down a bit. It will seep to full in 15 to 20 minutes. Look for a lot of coyote and deer sign.

Spent a week in 27 looking for bears. Didn't fire a shot but had a good time and came out with a pretty big elk shed. The unit as a whole is incredibly steep. I don't understand how the elk hunters do it in the snow.

The Blue River is about waist-deep right now and we followed it back about 8 miles and camped near it the whole time. I definitely want to go back in the fall. We will see if I can talk anyone into coming with me.

OP
Dkahanek1

Dkahanek1

FNG
Im going back in the fall as well, looking at october. I have a friend that lives over there but only hunts bear during the fall. Your always welcome to plan something with us if you cant get a group together.