Arrow Lodged in Bull

AG8

Lil-Rokslider
So maybe this has been discussed and I missed it, but this bull showed up in someone’s back yard in CO this morning. The picture hit social media here locally and the anti’s are having a field day with it of course. There is also a lot of debate (mostly by folks who have no idea what they are talking about) as to whether this is a recent wound or not, and with archery having ended 10 days ago, whether it is therefore an old hit, someone hunting first rifle with a bow (possible given the proximity to houses), or evidence of an illegal shot. I have my thoughts but wondering what others think? Also, we always hear of and discuss the sad situations where one is lost, and the ethics of continuing the hunt. If we do, it is generally by taking solace in the belief of a non-lethal hit. Does the arrow lodged change the dynamic for you? We’ve field dressed animals with old broadheads in them, but I’m not sure the animal survives with the full arrow protruding (infection, whatever else...). The OP of the photo reports that the arrow is protruding from both sides. Easy to see how the shot missed anything vital, but if you fail to recover any part of the arrow, meaning it is lodged, do you consider that to be an ultimately lethal hit regardless?57D4694F-A40C-4DD7-B363-D6E28147855E.jpeg

Last edited:

Anozira

WKR
Interesting. I'm trying to picture an elk skeleton overlay and if that arrow is through backstrap or just under the spine? I thought most units in CO were 4 point or 5" brow tines? Is this near an area that doesn't require that?

OP
A

AG8

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting. I'm trying to picture an elk skeleton overlay and if that arrow is through backstrap or just under the spine? I thought most units in CO were 4 point or 5" brow tines? Is this near an area that doesn't require that?
I figure it’s just under the spine and above the lungs. A narrow zone to be sure but not much there really. Yes, this is in one of the few that doesn’t follow the 4-point rule

Anozira

WKR
I figure it’s just under the spine and above the lungs. A narrow zone to be sure but not much there really. Yes, this is in one of the few that doesn’t follow the 4-point rule
Crazy for sure. Not sure how likely it is, but hopefully he can get the arrow out and make a recovery. Im sure thats not very comfortable.

jmez

WKR
It can't be under the spine and over the lungs.

Backstrap shot.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

OP
A

AG8

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I really don’t know, but how else could this arrow have missed lung? It’s too far forward to be behind and it’s too low to be over the spine I’d say. I can’t imagine this elk has any real lung damage as it seems to be eating casually.

rclouse79

WKR
I once got to help a friend process their Colorado bull. By the time I got there they had it skinned and told me to take off the backstrap. As I was working I noticed a perfect black circle flush with the meat. After a little digging I found it was part of an arrow shaft leading to a broadhead embedded in the spine. The bull did not appear any worse for the wear when my friend shot it. I wish I was that tough.

OP
A

AG8

Lil-Rokslider
We have seen a broadhead lodged against the spine as well. In this case though, the original poster of the pic reports that the arrow is protruding from both sides, which I guess to me would mean there would have to be damage to the spine if that was hit. Either way it happened, this is a very interesting case to discuss, as you generally assume wounds will heal if truly non-leathal (and able to close). You generally don’t see them still running around showing the evidence for very long.

stonewall

WKR
I believe the “processes” (sp?) there are quite long And that would be above the spine. Lower and he’d be dead. I went over this stuff with a vet one time and he basically told me (on a deer) that if the arrow deflates the diaphragm he’s dead. Idk about elk. I’m guessing with bigger lung capacity maybe it’s different?

jmez

WKR
Doesn't have to be spine damage. Can go right between the dorsal spinous processes and hit morning but muscle. Can also hit the spinous processes, break it or you right through it. Won't bother the elk much. That arrow is a above the chest.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Dude needs to find a wallow to roll around in and break it off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I guess I really don’t know, but how else could this arrow have missed lung? It’s too far forward to be behind and it’s too low to be over the spine I’d say. I can’t imagine this elk has any real lung damage as it seems to be eating casually.
It very well could have punctured the lungs but since the shaft is still in it, the puncture is sealed. Just as if someone has been stabbed with a knife with the knife still in it, we should leave it.

I think we need to distinguish between spine and vertebrae. The vertebrae are the bones protecting the spinal chord or “spine”. If the spine is hit, the animal typically becomes paralyzed. Like someone stated, the spinous processes extend up from the vertebrae and create an area well above the spine that can be hit and the animal not be harmed much at all. Just under the vertebrae site the aorta and the vena cava, the 2 largest blood vessels in the body. You hit these, the animal dies fast. Animals can survive if they are hit in the back of the lungs, especially just 1 lung. I saw a foal one time run into a hay rake, I could look into the chest and see one side of the lung collapsed. The other lung was fine. The foal was eating sweet feed standing there like nothing was wrong. Crazy things happen. Hit them in the heart and they die quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

AG8

Lil-Rokslider
Well maybe some answers/closure for the hunter on the nagging ‘what the heck happened’ questions. If they are local, there is a good chance they have seen the pic and are able to see the hit which almost no one gets on a lost animal. Heck, if you are here on the site, PM me and I’ll get you its last known whereabouts. Maybe you can convince CPW to let you try to finish the job! (As it stands some of the locals are calling on CPW to tranquilize it and take it to a vet!)

Marble

WKR
There still is no void between the spine and lungs no matter how hard people want to believe.
With all due respect sir, there may not be a "void"..but they can and do survive that shot. My first bull had 8 to 10 inches of arrow in it with a broadhead on the end, under the spine...probaly an inch or two under it.. He had his own herd and the entrance wound was healed over and the broadhead had scar tissue wrapping it. It was late October when I killed him.

Maybe we should use a different term then void...maybe non lethal area?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
There was a broken rib that hadn't healed and the broadhead was lodged against another rib on the opposite side.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
cant speak for this elk but my pard shot a moose once and it started for the river.
i watched it for about 200 yds as it came toward me and i did not think it was going to go down so i dropped it.

when we skinned it we found a neat half circle in the top of the scapula on one side and the bullet had went under the spine. you could stick your finger through and not enter the chest cavity.