Arrows

ledflight

WKR
I have black eagle - just got vintages on my 42lb A&H and used the outlaw on my 56lb A&H last season.
Their components are interchangable. The vintage have a little higher gpi but the outlaw went to 300 spine.
I have eyed the Gold Tip Trad Classic bc they have a nice heavy gpi but I feel like I am invested a little in Black Eagle now.

Btaylor

WKR
Pfft I'd rather be shooting than dipping, staining, straightening and footing in my case because I have such a long draw wood arrows! They do smell nice though when they break!😂
Ha, you really wouldnt like my build process then. I dont dip arrows. I use the modified Massey finish that is 6-7 coats wiped on. Wood arrows are a tradition.

#put tradition in your traditional archery
#make wood arrows great again
;)

Rick653

FNG
Ive been shooting Victory Carbon Trads with their stock shok insert, and they've been working pretty well. Done more than my fair share of "durability testing" with them, and the shafts are pretty tough. I have had a few inserts bend after very hard impacts

Aklongbow

FNG
BAMBOO ( nature's carbon) or Douglas Fir for me lol .... guess that doesn't help you out !!!! I do shoot some cedars also lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220309-230714_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220309-230714_Photos.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20220309-230306_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220309-230306_Photos.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 18

tuffcity

WKR
BAMBOO ( nature's carbon)

4uKpfMp.jpg

and build your own nocks when you are really bored! lol (those are rosewood)

tuffcity

WKR
I cut them out of a solid block of rosewood with a long hole saw. Made a jig out of a piece of 2X4 so I could run a nock through a set height on my table saw to start the string groove then finished it with a file. To attach the nock to the shaft I used the same jig on a drill press to bore a small hole in the shaft end and then, because bamboo is hollow, I used a hardwood dowel to join the two, Nylon thread wrap just for a bit more security.

A bit time consuming to set up but I was happy with the end result.

bisblue

WKR
Easton axis 340s with brass inserts and aluminum footings.

I have a set of black eagle instincts for a longbow and really like them.

Wrench

WKR
Mostly cracking near the ends.
Foot your arrows with a short section of aluminum shaft and you'll never break another. You'll need a short collar at the nock too if you bomb rocks often.

I shot the same arrow as my stumper for 28 days straight with no less than 20 shots a day into stumps, rocks, cans.....anything contrasting. When I switched to footed with vpa small game heads, I quit blowing up an arrow every day or two.

I'm running gt trad blems fwiw.

NoRush24

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve recently been shooting some 300 spine traditional only barebow arrows with collars and hit inserts. I’ve sent an arrow 4 times into a cinder black wall at about 15 yards and the arrow is still perfectly fine. Spend more and swap to a .204 with a collar it’s almost indestructible. Just don’t lose em and you’ll have arrows for a long time.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
Years ago I went to the Muzzy shoot in the Catskills of NY for the first time at the invite of a friend. I took wood arrows... If you've never heard of the Muzzy think of it as a trad only stump shoot, single elimination, with most of the targets set up in an avalanche shoot full of suitcase size stones. With enough oak trees and stone walls protecting the rest of the targets to give any trad shooter PTSD. By the end of the first day I had broken every arrow I had with me.

Anyway, the point of the story is I found out real quick that every single person who wasn't a first timer was shooting footed carbon arrows. The footings were simply approximately 1" pieces of the appropriate size aluminum shaft that was epoxied onto the carbon directly behind the insert. Some guys also footed the nock end with about 1/4 if the same aluminum shaft. Since then If I'm shooting carbon, it's going to be footed. The footing has 0 effect on arrow flight or performance IMO and it makes them almost indestructible. I've literally hit boulders square and had the arrow bounce backwards with no damage to the shaft.

Here's a (partial) chart of which aluminum's fit which carbons. Give it a try and I bet you'll love them.

Wrench

WKR
Years ago I went to the Muzzy shoot in the Catskills of NY for the first time at the invite of a friend. I took wood arrows... If you've never heard of the Muzzy think of it as a trad only stump shoot, single elimination, with most of the targets set up in an avalanche shoot full of suitcase size stones. With enough oak trees and stone walls protecting the rest of the targets to give any trad shooter PTSD. By the end of the first day I had broken every arrow I had with me.

Anyway, the point of the story is I found out real quick that every single person who wasn't a first timer was shooting footed carbon arrows. The footings were simply approximately 1" pieces of the appropriate size aluminum shaft that was epoxied onto the carbon directly behind the insert. Some guys also footed the nock end with about 1/4 if the same aluminum shaft. Since then If I'm shooting carbon, it's going to be footed. The footing has 0 effect on arrow flight or performance IMO and it makes them almost indestructible. I've literally hit boulders square and had the arrow bounce backwards with no damage to the shaft.

Here's a (partial) chart of which aluminum's fit which carbons. Give it a try and I bet you'll love them.

1000%

I've broken a dozen nocks and never hurt the shaft.

Chuck up on a big rock.....THWACK!

nock splits and flies to infinity and beyond.

Stuff a new nock on and rock on.

Sapcut

WKR
Kustom King sells 12 different sizes of footings based on arrow outside diameter.

Elest98

FNG
I went with X-impacts this year. 250 spine with iron will’s snyder core system and AAE vanes. 520 grains and group very well.

wytx

WKR
I "invested" in 3 dozen footed shafts many years ago and settled on the bois d'arc footed doug fir ones as my go to hunting arrows. I think I have broken about 3 over the last say 15 years and they really stay straight after sealing.
Raptor Archery made my footed shafts and I stain , seal, fletch and attach points and knocks. 4 fletch, 4 inch feathers for me as well.
DSCN1762 copy (3) copy.jpg