Artisan 797AB

Fire_9

WKR
I was curious if anyone had any experience with the Artisan 797AB? I found a used one listed for $700 and am thinking about picking it up. I would mainly be using it to sew 500/1000D cordura and webbing and thought it may be a step up from the Husqvarna Viking I inherited from my grandma. Thanks!

dyland

FNG
I have the 797AB and it has been an absolute workhorse for me. Had it for 8 years now and bought it used. Only thing I had to replace was the belt about a month ago. It will sewing thru multiple layers of 500/100D (probably up to 10 or so) with ease. The US support is awesome and any sewing shop can work on the machine should something go wrong. Once you set your thread and bobbin tension this thing will just go. Its build super heavy and has just been great for me.

Does the machine have a clutch motor or servo motor?

If not, I highly recommend getting one. It allows you to sew really slow with the pedal full compressed. The 797AB will sew really fast at full speed but for all my stuff I like dialing down the servo motor so it creeps along at a controllable pace.

OP
F

Fire_9

WKR
I have the 797AB and it has been an absolute workhorse for me. Had it for 8 years now and bought it used. Only thing I had to replace was the belt about a month ago. It will sewing thru multiple layers of 500/100D (probably up to 10 or so) with ease. The US support is awesome and any sewing shop can work on the machine should something go wrong. Once you set your thread and bobbin tension this thing will just go. Its build super heavy and has just been great for me.

Does the machine have a clutch motor or servo motor?

If not, I highly recommend getting one. It allows you to sew really slow with the pedal full compressed. The 797AB will sew really fast at full speed but for all my stuff I like dialing down the servo motor so it creeps along at a controllable pace.

I drug my feel too long and it sold but I appreciate the info.

I drug my feel too long and it sold but I appreciate the info.
Honestly, that price was probably a little high for what you would have been getting anyway. For that price I would want a nice compound feed machine (walking foot on top, feed dogs below, and needle moving with the feed dogs).

OP
F

Fire_9

WKR
Honestly, that price was probably a little high for what you would have been getting anyway. For that price I would want a nice compound feed machine (walking foot on top, feed dogs below, and needle moving with the feed dogs).

What would be an example of the type of machine you’re referencing?

TaperPin

WKR
Others will know about more modern triple feed machines, but in the old vintage machines a singer 111w155 is the grand dad that most of the machines were roughly based on up until the newer generations after 1990’s or 2000’s.

Other old triple feed machines are Consew 206rb, Juki 562/563, Singer 211w155, and dozens of similar models and brands, and slight improvements of older models, but the rough design is very close between them.

It’s safe to say old machines are ok if you enjoy working on old machines, but if you don’t it pays to get a new machine in running condition.

Be careful of sewing machine shops that work primarily on domestic models - in many ways a commercial machine is easier to diagnose and work on, but they can be different in how things are adjusted. I bought a machine from an upholstery shop that struggled with it for a dozen years - the repair shop that adjusted it that entire time had a fundamental misunderstanding of how the hook was adjusted and held in place. The fix took an hour and a new hook, and it’s run flawlessly ever since. I’ve bought other commercial machines from domestic repair shops that just don’t want to get over the learning curve so they take a commercial in on trade then sell it rather than fix it.

What would be an example of the type of machine you’re referencing?
@TaperPin named some of the most common ones. A needle feed like the Singer 111W151 would be very versatile as well. They and similar models work well on thinner materials but also do great work on heavy materials.