New Industrial sewing machine advice

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
I know there are a lot of guys here who make a lot of gear. Machines are always a big part of the picture. I want some advice on where to go if you all can help out.

I currently have a Consew 206-RB5 walking foot industrial. I put a servo motor on it. It sews fine on heavy stuff. It sucks for anything light. I also have several older home machines - a Kenmore, a Viking, and a singer 201-2 in it's original table. I rewired the singer and they all "work" Not great all the time - probably need more service than I have done.

I am thinking of ditching all of them and starting with a new machine. Something more versatile than heavy duty only. I have been looking into a needle feed machine or maybe just go with a Juki 8700H. I just really don't enjoy trying to sew much on the Consew, its like sewing with a jack hammer..lol It also makes stitches so tight you can't rip them out if you make a mistake!!

I have sewn clothing, tarps, bivy, canvas, webbing etc in the past. Heavy wool in some clothes, I made a tree saddle with seatbelt webbing. I find I really am going to lighter weight stuff. There might be the occasion still for multiple layers of heavier stuff though. I have watched multiple vids of the 8700 H sewing stuff thicker than I most likely will again. Like 14 layers of vinyl.

It looks like a needle feed is between the Consew and the regular straight stitcher. Is it worth it over the 8700H? I have read from some a needle feed is their most used machine.

So, what do Y'all think would be a good all arounder that will be easier to sew with??

Thanks!

WoodBow

WKR
I am interested as well. I also have a consew 206rb5 for my primary machine. I think you may be doing something incorrectly if the stitches are as tight as you say. Mine are totally normal. The only reason i am wanting another machine is for silnylon type fabric weight. I like making shelters occasionally and I would like a nicer machine than the domestic ones I currently use for that.

I am primarily interested in older walking needle machines to keep an eye out for on marketplace. I don't want to spend $600+ on a new machine that I will rarely use.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
W

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
I am interested as well. I also have a consew 206rb5 for my primary machine. I think you may be doing something incorrectly if the stitches are as tight as you say. Mine are totally normal. The only reason i am wanting another machine is for silnylon type fabric weight. I like making shelters occasionally and I would like a nicer machine than the domestic ones I currently use for that.

I am primarily interested in older walking needle machines to keep an eye out for on marketplace. I don't want to spend $600+ on a new machine that I will rarely use.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I check my thread tension and make sure my stitches are good. Just when you sew something like a canvas tarp or multiple layers of heavy wool.....getting those stitches out means cutting the materials too usually.

I think I should get enough from my other machines to get a new one and some of the accessories I want. Like binder attachments, or additional feed dogs, feed plates, etc for different applications. Then I'll only have to get good with one machine!!

Looking at making a shelter myself.....lots of yardage of light material that would be no fun on what I have now...

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Even the right machine doesn't make sewing light fabric easier. Its why makers use double stick tape, glue, or other means to make it bearable. And, pins are our friends.

The issue is there is no perfect machine, no more than a perfect caliber. Right tool for the job and all. We have a flat bed walking foot machine, cylinder bed walking foot for heavy work and Juki 8700 dressmaking machine for lighter work. Those get most of the work done, but the cylinder bed machine does the vast majority. We also have bar tackers, double needle post bed, serger machine, and a simple Walmart Brother machine with basic embroidery.

I'd say go hang out at the sewing machine store and talk with them, lol. And, I do a lot of maintenance, but professional service has always been very good. It might make sense to buy new machines rather than dump money in what you have already.

I think if you got a good needle feed, that would handle the light to medium, and save the walking foot for the heavy stuff.

OP
W

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
Even the right machine doesn't make sewing light fabric easier. Its why makers use double stick tape, glue, or other means to make it bearable. And, pins are our friends.

The issue is there is no perfect machine, no more than a perfect caliber. Right tool for the job and all. We have a flat bed walking foot machine, cylinder bed walking foot for heavy work and Juki 8700 dressmaking machine for lighter work. Those get most of the work done, but the cylinder bed machine does the vast majority. We also have bar tackers, double needle post bed, serger machine, and a simple Walmart Brother machine with basic embroidery.

I'd say go hang out at the sewing machine store and talk with them, lol. And, I do a lot of maintenance, but professional service has always been very good. It might make sense to buy new machines rather than dump money in what you have already.

I think if you got a good needle feed, that would handle the light to medium, and save the walking foot for the heavy stuff.

I am not looking for a perfect machine. I know that's a folly. I DO want a more versatile machine than the walking foot. As in rifles, versatility beats specialty every time.

I will be selling off my other machines. Space is a premium in the house. Then I can also concentrate on just one machine. Those funds will also "fund" the new machine and accessories.

In doing more research it looks like one drawback of the needlefeed is the lack of different attachments and presser feet you can use. An 8700H can switch out feet and have binder attachments put on. Not as much available to do things with the needlefeed. There's that versatility thing again......

Still working it out.

I am not looking for a perfect machine. I know that's a folly. I DO want a more versatile machine than the walking foot. As in rifles, versatility beats specialty every time.

I will be selling off my other machines. Space is a premium in the house. Then I can also concentrate on just one machine. Those funds will also "fund" the new machine and accessories.

In doing more research it looks like one drawback of the needlefeed is the lack of different attachments and presser feet you can use. An 8700H can switch out feet and have binder attachments put on. Not as much available to do things with the needlefeed. There's that versatility thing again......

Still working it out.
If I were only going to have one machine focused on mostly lighter materials and wasn't concerned about struggling through heavy layers on occasion, I would consider a needle feed the best compromise. It's still going to handle stacked materials better than a drop feed machine. Sewing silnylon is tricky without tape, but a good needle feed machine makes it a bit less so.

You can still use a variety of bed-mounted attachments with a needle feed machine, but it might take more work on your part to get them to work just right; grinding feet for binder clearance, for instance.

Depending on where you're at, you might be able to find a Singer 111W151 inexpensively to see if you like the needle feed. It will drop into the same table cutout as your Consew 206, so you won't need another table. No reverse on that old machine though.

OP
W

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
If I were only going to have one machine focused on mostly lighter materials and wasn't concerned about struggling through heavy layers on occasion, I would consider a needle feed the best compromise. It's still going to handle stacked materials better than a drop feed machine. Sewing silnylon is tricky without tape, but a good needle feed machine makes it a bit less so.

You can still use a variety of bed-mounted attachments with a needle feed machine, but it might take more work on your part to get them to work just right; grinding feet for binder clearance, for instance.

Depending on where you're at, you might be able to find a Singer 111W151 inexpensively to see if you like the needle feed. It will drop into the same table cutout as your Consew 206, so you won't need another table. No reverse on that old machine though.

Thanks for that!

I did see an older Brother needle feed on my local craigslist, asking $500 for a DB2-5790-5. Pics look like it has little use on it. I'm just not sure how much "support" is available for them compared to Juki or singer. I have been looking....but I might just go new so I know I'll have parts or support for awhile.

OP
W

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
I have been poking around doing research on this. I found this video showing a walking foot sewing light material with a light thread.

That got me to thinking. So I went looking through the operating manual for my consew 206-RB5. It says it can sew with needle sizes from 12 to 24 with the corresponding thread sizes. That's pretty light to pretty heavy. Seems like a competent operator could make this a do all machine. Obviously I'm not competent operator yet. However, I think I'm going to have to give it a better try before moving to a new machine.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have been poking around doing research on this. I found this video showing a walking foot sewing light material with a light thread.

That got me to thinking. So I went looking through the operating manual for my consew 206-RB5. It says it can sew with needle sizes from 12 to 24 with the corresponding thread sizes. That's pretty light to pretty heavy. Seems like a competent operator could make this a do all machine. Obviously I'm not competent operator yet. However, I think I'm going to have to give it a better try before moving to a new machine.

Getting a smaller needle and looking for "hacks" may help. With a heavier machine, I have seen tutorials using tissue paper to act as a backing that then gets torn away. It helps the lighter fabrics feed. I've tried it, and it has helped on the few occasions I've done projects with light material. Whenever possible, I try to use double stick tape. That has made it easiest.

You CAN do it, and I have, but it's not a good time. You might be able to improve the experience to a non-irritating level by getting a smaller feed dog plate (small max stitch length) and small feed dog (optimized for small needles). I'll see if I can find something that might work.

TaperPin

WKR
It seems everyone needs at least 4 sewing machines to cover all the bases! Lol

I have the older version (555) of the juki 8700 and it sews fine for light weight things. The main thing that keeps it from being used as much as a much older Singer 31-15 is it has an oil pan with over a pint of oil in it, and it’s not easy to take it out of the table and put on a shelf.

I had to decide between the number of cabinets in the garage or sewing tables and I keep most machines on a shelf and just use the one table.

I‘ve heard a guy working in a factory setting say the needle feed machines are highly under rated since they sew thin and medium materials so well - consistent stitch length is important in his business. There’s a Singer version out of the 70s that was his favorite if he could only own one personal machine - to this day those are still being used as trainers - he says they just don’t want to die. I think it was a singer 280-something, but I could be wrong.

The Singer 212w140 or 212w141 (has reverse) are a double needle needle feed, but many of us remove a needle and use it as a single. They will outlive us all and parts are straightforward to get from any industrial sewing shop. They must have been popular factory machines because they seem to be plentiful in the used market. Of course there are a dozen single and double needle machines of the same era made by Consew, Juki, Singer, and other clones of the same type.

Attachments

• C1848B30-F4B1-49AC-BEF9-7DBB71C925DC.jpeg
    C1848B30-F4B1-49AC-BEF9-7DBB71C925DC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
@Wacko if you find yourself in southern AZ, I can hook you up with a Singer 112 double needle (needle feed, no reverse) to play around with for real cheap. Has a shortened table so it doesn't take up too much space.