At home education

My grade school kids are home for two weeks and while they will have online learning assignments and while I will be teleworking I'll have more time to spend with them.
So while we have the chance my plan is to not let school get in the way of their education.
So what would be some good "lessons" we could have during the break?
I plan on hiking, fire building, deeper dives into learning about animals, shooting bows in backyard, physical fitness, and so forth.

It would be awesome if we got a good list going for what the kids no matter the age can do besides sit in front of a screen.

So let's here it and may your TP roll be neverending.

bobinmi

WKR
This is a great idea. We will be building some primitive traps. I'm also going to build a new loft bed for the kids and my pre-schooler and 1st grader will be assisting me in the process. Essentially my plan is to involve them in my daily stuff at home while teaching them useful projects. The only downside is that I run security for 2 hospitals and I am actually much busier right now than I am normally. Lots of extra shifts while the kids are home.

Elk97

WKR
There are lots of science projects for kids, look online and print out the instructions. My grandsons love science stuff. While on a walk in the woods, practice identifying all the animal tracks you see and have them make sketches of them.

Rich M

WKR
Just spend time with your kids - you may already but most folks don't spend nearly enough. And if you are gonna do "lessons" make em easy and fun.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My grade school kids are home for two weeks and while they will have online learning assignments and while I will be teleworking I'll have more time to spend with them.
So while we have the chance my plan is to not let school get in the way of their education.
So what would be some good "lessons" we could have during the break?
I plan on hiking, fire building, deeper dives into learning about animals, shooting bows in backyard, physical fitness, and so forth.

It would be awesome if we got a good list going for what the kids no matter the age can do besides sit in front of a screen.

So let's here it and may your TP roll be neverending.

“The art and science of shed antler hunting: A daily seminar by mtnrunner260.”

Absolutely must be required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

netman

WKR
Camp. Even if you have to in your back yard.
Not sure of their age but teach them to weld and or use a cutting torch.
As mentioned cooking is another great skill. How to service your vehicle.
Have fun!

ODB

WKR
Read them Houseman’s “To An Athlete Dying Young.”

And get them cooking /planning dinners.

jfs82

WKR
cooking, fishing, building (anything), art (whatever they consider art), exercise. I'll be doing weekly overnight camping with my 4 year old for this next month til work opens back up (work for schools that are shut down to kids but I still have certain work to do training my team and online).

Some things to teach them off the top of my head:
How to cook...or cook something new
Different ways to pitch a tarp into a shelter
How to tie different knots...how to tie a knot
How to cast a baitcaster or fly rod
How to tie a fly
Plant a garden
Fix something that is broken at the house
Stain the deck (I HATE staining decks and would take any free labor lol)
Change the oil on the lawn mower, weed whacker and generator...seems like nobody knows how to do this these days

...that’s all I got.

netman

WKR
From what my daughter just told me you guys with kids might be doing extended at home training. She said St Louis schools are looking to stay closed for 8 weeks.

ODB

WKR
From what my daughter just told me you guys with kids might be doing extended at home training. She said St Louis schools are looking to stay closed for 8 weeks.
8 weeks?? That’s damn near the end of school anyway, no?

sbrville

FNG
we are out for three weeks here in Indiana spring break is one week of that. im going to treat it as an early summer break. do all u can with them(mine=boy8,girl=5)we will camp, guessing my wife(who works in the school system too so is off) will have me take them with me a lot lol(I Farm).
Im just gonna treat it like a long spring break, Maybe get them out there during a time they normally wouldn't. god luck. SB

Rich M

WKR
Stain the deck (I HATE staining decks and would take any free labor lol)

Use a yard/garden sprayer - buy cheap one from like Harbor Freight and put your stain, Thompsons Water Seal, etc. in there, pump it up and get to spraying.

zacattack

WKR
Plant ID and or leaf collection/scavenger hunt. Have them go find leaves for certain plants on your hikes. I think this is a skill that often goes overlooked.

Mine are a little older 15/16...so today was replace brake pads and rotors on his car, change the oil and rotate the tires. Tomorrow is rebuild a carb and isolate the fault in the wiring on a trailer. Got do something to teach them some productive skills that they can use. If it stops raining here start pressure washing the fence so it can be stained again. Will see how thing this lasts...

16Bore

WKR
Cooking
Minimum 1 hour reading per day
Campfire
15 year old daughter is going to learn about oil changes
Birding
1/2 hour of National News