Starter Bow

We home school, so part of physical education is going to be archery this summer. We have a local chapter of Izaak Walton League that has a long target course and a 25 target walk through 3d range. My wife and step son already have a bow, but I'm trying to figure out a bow for my 13yo daughter.

I've been trying to find a used mission but nothing close by. So i'm torn between a Genesis, Genesis-X, or a knock type mission from Amazon

I feel like my 13yo will outgrow the regular Genesis very fast. She's fairly strong and the Genesis only goes 10-20# draw.

The Gen-X goes up to 40# but where I'm looking at the nock off mission bow is that its about 1/2 the price of the Gen-X. I'm not super concerned with arrows as we have lots of arrows and I have spare parts all over the place. I assume the Gen-X has some level of resale right? I also assume I'll have some level of customer support with the GenX vs some knock off bow?

OR Archer

WKR
I’ve worked on a few of the Amazon knock off bows over the years and you really get what you pay for with them. Not worth the money IMO.
I would just go with a regular genesis. If this is just a bow she’s going to use for that purpose of a physical education requirement it’ll be just fine even at only 20#.
If she has a desire to hunt or get more competitive then you could look at upgrading her to a mission or other youth bow at that point.

180ls1

WKR
See if a local bow shop around you has a used option, that would be money better spent IMO.

TaperPin

WKR
Isn‘t there a place that has rental bows in small sizes? I can’t remember where, but it seemed about like renting a musical instrument for a student. Probably just a cheap to buy a new bow and sell it once she outgrows it.

nphunter

WKR
If cost is a concern buy a cheap recurve, I enjoy shooting my recurve as much as my compound. It's a lot more fun for just dinking around also and a nice low weight recurve can be had for under $100.

I bought my son the Diamond Infinite Edge I think it was called. Its specifically designed to let shooters grow up with it. I think minimum draw weight is like 25 and it goes up to 60. It also has adjustable draw length modules that can be adjusted without needing a vice.

EDIT: it's a Diamond (made by Bowtech) Infinite Edge

Last edited: