At what point does reloading payoff?

I don't hand load/reload for economy. I do it so that when my heart is pounding out of my chest and I have an animal in my scope, that I have the utmost confidence in what is going to happen when I pull the trigger.

gbflyer

WKR
I don't hand load/reload for economy. I do it so that when my heart is pounding out of my chest and I have an animal in my scope, that I have the utmost confidence in what is going to happen when I pull the trigger.

Lots of folks feel this way and that’s perfectly fine. If I had a hunt of a lifetime ahead of me, I’d be finding a factory load. And certainly without question for anything that might bite back.

MidwestElkHutner

Lil-Rokslider
As mentioned, the cost per round is not a factor in my decision to reload. 1. I enjoy the satisfaction of showing up to a match and performing with a round that I developed and loaded. 2. I enjoy the satisfaction of using a round that I developed and loaded to use on critters. 3. I can tailor a specific round to a specific rifle that will outperform any factory ammo option available. 4. I simply enjoy reloading. If cost was the deciding factor, I wouldn't have even started.

Killing an animal with ammo you worked up and loaded yourself is a similar feeling to catching a big trout on a fly you tied yourself.

I got into reloading when I was 12. I did so because I could buy primers and powder, but not rifle ammo until I turned 18.

When I was young, I had a single rifle and built dozens of loads for it with thoughts of "this would be great for deer, this would be a brush-buster for moose, this will stop a charging bear" etc. Now I like to work up a load that the rifle likes, get everything dialed in for it and move on to the next rifle. It's like solving a puzzle and each one has a different answer.

Some above have mentioned factoring in your time in the cost of reloaded ammo. If you are an accountant, go for it. For me, it is a relaxing hobby that I enjoy. I don't think of it as "spending time," but rather almost meditation. I get lost in the specifics and everything else going on in life fades into the background for a bit.

Follow me for more thoughts on the Zen of Reloading (or whatever the youtube sellouts would end with)

11boo

WKR
I dont do it to save money, I do it to shoot more. This would be a tough time to get started in reloading for all the reasons posted. in the past these shortages have turned into surpluses, then you pounce on 30k primers and 8 lb jugs of powder. It is an addictive habit for me anyway, and it all stared with the gateway drug. Dillon.

Lots of folks feel this way and that’s perfectly fine. If I had a hunt of a lifetime ahead of me, I’d be finding a factory load. And certainly without question for anything that might bite back.
Actually a hunt of a lifetime for me (dall sheep) was exactly why I started. I felt much better taking my handloads that I knew grouped at 1/4 MOA, than a factory load that groups at 3/4 MOA. Every little bit of confidence matters when you have that kind of pressure on yourself. Thinking about a hunt for years and the anticipation of it all, the expense, etc....I cant imagine taking factory loads on a hunt of a lifetime.

Rrush

FNG
This is more true than what I said, if you tried to be cost conscious you might be able to, but that is so far outside my typical frame of thought I couldn't see it. :)
I'm the same way.

To the OPs question though. You can get everything you need to load for 1000 bucks roughly. Depending on the ammo you're making the margin I'd say is 20% on average. Common pistol rounds were almost never worth it. I never reloaded 9mm (but glad I kept the brass now). Starting at .45 practice loads it became worth the effort to me.

I think when I first did the math to justify it all to myself and generate cost-savings talking points for the wife I settled at 10k rounds as a nice even break even number.

fatbacks

WKR
Been said before, but it does not save you money!

I got into it 5 years ago because it was hard to find factory ammo with the bullets I wanted to shoot.... one very large rabbit hole later my entire workbench in the garage is covered with reloading tools, scales, etc.

Maki35

WKR
I took a introduction class to reloading years ago. The instructor said reloading is more for precision, rather than trying to save money.
If you want a new hobby go for it. But .308 is such a common caliber with so many manufacturer offerings I don't think you'll be saving money.
How often do you shoot .308?

(NOP)

FNG
I started reloading with a basic setup to fix accuracy issues with my 270 and save money. Now I have 4 presses, & buy enough components for the life of a barrel. It hasn't saved me any money. But I get to shoot 3x much for twice the price I would have otherwise spent.

Pro953

WKR
Unless you are a competition shooter for pistol, skeet, PRS type of thing. I would say never.

But if you like the process and technical side of shooting, it sure can be fun!

If you are taking about 3-5 boxes a year for hunting, you could start your campfires with hundred dollar bills and still be ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddiewiggles

FNG
Classified Approved
I live in North-East Georgia and 99% of the deer I’ve killed have been less than 75 yards away. I could easily sell all my rifles except my 30-30 and be fine. But I still built a custom 25-06, and have a 7 mag, and I reload and obsess over both of them. I know a family with a range that has steel out to 700 yards and I go shoot there often. I can consistently hit the 700 yard plate. I’ve spent so much money on bullets and powders to be able to repeatedly do so. (My dad already had the press, dies, etc). I never plan on getting into competition stuff and will never have a chance to shoot that far in Georgia. From a monetary and realists standpoint, reloading for me is a waste of time and money. But I love that shit. I’ll be reloading for a longgg time cause I’m only 22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Mikido

Mikido

WKR
Wow appreciate all the responses. Made my decision very easy….to not reload ;)

thanks all

B23

WKR
Financially, never. In quality, fun and satisfaction, immediately.
Agreed.

It seems I'm always buying new or more stuff so financially I'm not sure it ever pays off in that regard but pretty much everywhere else it does.

Wapiti1

WKR
It pays off when you load ammo that is very expensive to buy ready made or is not available otherwise. I have a .375 Flanged Magnum double rifle. Feeding it is a $5 per round proposition if I shoot only factory, and my options are exceedingly limited. Even using a cheap Lee kit setup, plus dies, brass, bullets, powder, and primers, I'd break even after 80-100 rounds.

I also have a few other oddball and big bore rifles that I couldn't feed without reloading. Price some .458 Lott ammo and realize that you need to be proficient with that rifle for its intended use. Which means practice so you aren't terrified of the recoil. You will easily pay off your reloading investment.

Everyone else has covered the details of reloading for common cartridges. Value is what you decide it is.

Jeremy

How much is your time worth to clean, prep, and load? Most reloaders ignore labor costs in their cost evaluation?

Only a few reasons to reload:
-You enjoy reloading as a separate hobby
-You’re a true top level competitor
-You’re on a fixed income and unable to work.
There is also the "not a factory option" bullet.. I shoot some oddball stuff. Ever heard of a 6x6.8 ? No factory ammo loadings on that

7saum is a great round but factory ammo is slim on the pickings

I also reload 308 because i use it for competitions

JPatzig

FNG
Reiterating what others have said, unless you're a range rat shooting thousands of rounds, I don't think many reloaders are actually saving money. We reload because we enjoy the process and maximizing performance for a given bullet/gun.

JayDK

FNG
I had a friend who stepped away from reloading and gave me a bunch of gear for a "friends and family" price. So far, I have really enjoyed it as a hobby. I am not a high volume shooter. I am not a competitive shooter. For me, reloading is a personal challenge to improve as a shooter.

Some of the benefits:
- Infinite Load customization (Primer, brass, powder, bullet)
- Easily load for uncommon or expensive calibers
- Custom loads for for kids (Hodgdon H4895)