Weatherby Vanguard Talon First Range Report

So there hasn't been much chatter on the new(ish, 2023) Weatherby Vanguard Talon, so I figured I'd do a brief range report after my first trip with it today. I did not go in with the objective of running it through its paces, as I had other tasks like checking my hunting hand loads for this upcoming deer season, and getting a bit more trigger time on my .300 win mag before my Elk trip next month. I simply wanted to put a few rounds through it to get a feel for the rifle.

Rifle Info:

TL;DR its a vanguard with a threaded, spiral-fluted barrel, cerakoted, with a Peak44 carbon fiber stock. (Same stock found on the Mark V Backcountry rifles. MSRP is $1599. I was able to find mine for under $1150 shipped utilizing gun.deals.

This one is in 6.5 Creedmoor (or as I typically called it 6.5 manbunn)

The optic is a Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42, mounted in Talley lightweight rings.

*Disclaimer - I have always hated on the 6.5 round. I may be sold on it now, HOWEVER, my 300 mag will still be my primary Elk rifle..

I tried two different types of ammunition, PSA's AAC 140gr Soft Point (which I believe to be loaded with Hornady Interlock) and Remington 140gr Core Lokt. I also have some factory Sierra Gameking, but I did not have time to try it.

Both the AAC and Remington were able to produce sub-MOA 3-shot groups without any cooling time between rounds, and about 10 minutes between groups. I used simple Caldwell shooting rests, front and back. The barrel does heat up fairly quick, but it also cools relatively fast. I didn't take many pictures unfortunately, so I will do a follow-up in the coming weeks with better content and information. I did take pictures of one 5-shot group (Remington Core-Lokt.) The first two shots stacked dead center, and the third was 1/4" higher. I waited about 20 seconds before deciding to try a 5-shot group, and fired the next two without letting the barrel cool. These dispersed low, but the overall group was still just slightly over an inch. (See below)

nv6VKSB.jpeg
*From top to bottom, the shot order is 3, 2, 1, 4, 5. Target was at 100 yards. Remington Core-Lokt 140gr

All shots were fired with the SilencerCo Harvester Evo Silencer attached via direct thread. I had been moving this between my .308 and .300 win mag, so it was quite warm.

The good:

• The trigger is absolutely phenomenal. Take that with a grain of salt because I don't shoot the fancy custom rifles many of you Rokslider's do.. yet ;)
  • The stock is crazy solid and I like the slightly larger (wider?) grip. Overall it was very easy to get comfortable behind the rifle.
  • The action is plenty smooth.
  • Feeding was flawless and seems less finicky than my Mk V. (not that the Mk V is bad, but I definitely can get rounds jammed up when trying to load the internal magazine quickly - again on my MK V, NOT on the Vanguard.)
  • Accuracy as stated above was great with the limited (CHEAP!) ammo selections I tried.
The bad:
  • There is one "bad" thing about this rifle and it is unrelated to the range trip. Its the recoil pad on the stock. I absolutely love it, however I placed the rifle into a temporary gun cabinet next to my work bench in my basement after mounting the scope. It sat in there for a day tops, and the recoil pad deformed sharply to match a slight wooden ledge in the bottom of the gun cabinet. (Older cabinet, I'm assuming this "ledge" is in place to give the guns a natural tilt onto the rack above.) It looked horrible, but thankfully after taking it out for a few hours, the pad rebounded back to normal shape. I'll continue to watch this, but this point is actually more of a positive due to it bouncing back. This entire point can be chalked up to user error. Don't put your nice rifles into cheap cabinets, folks.
Some pictures:

U7tBopY.jpeg
HXqC4G4.jpeg
r5xjodd.jpeg
HjvAUd6.jpeg

Thanks for reading. I hope this rifle is a huge seller for Weatherby, because I want them to continue to make them. At this point, if I told you I liked my Mark V Hunter (.300 Win Mag) MORE, I'd be lying! Once again, I'll try to get a more-in depth range report done next time. Until then.. go buy one, and thank me later!

Last edited:

letrbuck

WKR
Nice rifle and nice write up!

The Weatherby/Peak44 3d printed recoil pads work really well IMO, but they will deform if stored in the way you describe. I have a horizontal gun chest/cabinet so i have no issues. But, I ecommend putting them in gun safe or cabinet muzzle down

OP
allstajacket
Nice rifle and nice write up!

The Weatherby/Peak44 3d printed recoil pads work really well IMO, but they will deform if stored in the way you describe. I have a horizontal gun chest/cabinet so i have no issues. But, I ecommend putting them in gun safe or cabinet muzzle down

Thanks. Never thought about storing a rifle muzzle down.. seems so strange to me! I’ll definitely give it a shot though. I don’t see what it could hurt..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
allstajacket
Thanks for the write up. Been thinking about getting one in .308 win. for a while now. Did the rifle come with a threaded muzzle brake included?

Happy to do it! It did include a muzzle brake, and a thread protector.

Let me know when you pull the trigger! I’d like to hear/read more reviews on it.

Almost bought mine in .270 Win, and I probably would have chosen .308 if I didn’t already have my model 70.

Let me know when you pull the trigger! I’d like to hear/read more reviews on it.

Almost bought mine in .270 Win, and I probably would have chosen .308 if I didn’t already have my model 70.

Awesome, Thank You. Will gladly let you know when I get one. I've already got 3 .270's which I'd like to offload my Tikkas at some point and switch them to wby's. My Mark V .270 win outshoots my Tikka .270's easily.

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider

How does the stock and recoil pad soak up recoil minus the brake? Thinking about upgrading my Bell and Carlson for no reason other than to blow money and I like the looks of the Peak 44.

OP
allstajacket
How does the stock and recoil pad soak up recoil minus the brake? Thinking about upgrading my Bell and Carlson for no reason other than to blow money and I like the looks of the Peak 44.

I only shot the rifle suppressed, which in my experience greatly reduces recoil. It was a piece of cake. I’ll fire a few rounds with the brake on it next time and report back.

Between my brother and my dad they have three of these. One 30-06, one .270, and a 6.5 PRC. We were all carrying them in the mountains this year and they are delight to haul around. All three of them shoot easily under a minute at 100 yards, excellent shooters. The stock does a great job at handling the recoil. My Dad took a bull at 300 yards with his 30-06 and I was able to take one at 400 yards with my brothers 6.5 PRC. Excellent rifle for the money imo. For anyone wondering about the ammo, my dad is shooting factory Nosler 165 AB's. My brother shoots 140 AB's loaded by Unknown out of the 270 and factory 143 ELD-X for the 6.5 PRC. Every Weatherby rifle we have owned has been a tack driver and these were no different. Thanks for a good range report!

coachmks

FNG
I just ordered one in 6.5PRC. Lots of good reports and has a lot of solid features for $1100.