Axis with aluminum HIT and 150’s

Has anybody shot this set up? I’m wanting to try 150 VPAs on an axis shaft, but concerned about the broadhead or insert blowing out the side with that much weight on the nose at compound speeds. I have shot brass HITs for years without issue (with some pretty heavy point weight with a recurve), but brass or collars will put my arrow weight over what I want.

Before I start my own testing, I thought I’d see if anybody has used this exact set up.

fatlander

WKR
I shoot 175 totals grains up front in my axis: 100 grain head and 75 grains of brass. No footers/collars. They’re tougher than any other arrow I’ve ever shot, and have survived impacts I wouldn’t have thought possible. I’ve been shooting them since Beman had the team realtree/bonecollector branded version. Never completely blown the front end up of one. I’ve broken the front end trying to pull them out trees, that’s the only ones that come to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Arctic Hunter
I shoot 175 totals grains up front in my axis: 100 grain head and 75 grains of brass. No footers/collars. They’re tougher than any other arrow I’ve ever shot, and have survived impacts I wouldn’t have thought possible. I’ve been shooting them since Beman had the team realtree/bonecollector branded version. Never completely blown the front end up of one. I’ve broken the front end trying to pull them out trees, that’s the only ones that come to mind.

Thanks for the reply. I too have used brass with a 100-125 grain tip and had it work great. I’m trying to bump to a 150 and think there might be a durability issue with moving the COG forward at 150 grains and weakening the insert by using aluminum. I’m probably reading too much online. Lol. But I have had it happen on some other shafts when I’ve played around with heavy tip weight.

MattB

WKR
You are likely reading too much online. I think the point weight will have little do with whether you have durability issues, it would be moreso the head length providing a longer lever than the actual mass weight of the head. IW's Ti inserts are only 10 grs. if you are concerned about weight but want the added strength.

The impact loads on the front of the shaft, not the insert with a hit. Doesn't make a difference how long, short, or durable the material is with straight on impact. Since the shoulder that the broadhead is contacting is the actual shaft, make sure its square.

A glancing impact you could see some difference with longer or shorter inserts, but if your arrow isn't impacting straight on you got bigger problems. Brass is generally similar strength to aluminum, tho it depends on the alloy, some aluminum is stronger than brass, and brass with a higher zinc composition can also be stronger than a lot of aluminum alloys.
But if you are confident with brass, no reason to not be confident with aluminum.

OP
Arctic Hunter
I've used 150's with regular 16gr aluminum HIT's before without any issues. And I draw 75lbs at almost 33" draw.
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

You are likely reading too much online. I think the point weight will have little do with whether you have durability issues, it would be moreso the head length providing a longer lever than the actual mass weight of the head. IW's Ti inserts are only 10 grs. if you are concerned about weight but want the added strength.
Yeah, the weight alone was only part of it. That VPA 150 is a little long, which seemed like it would create more of a lever arm. I still think it would be fine. I had shoulder surgery recently and I’m shooting significantly less weight this year. So I think the blade angle on that broadhead will perform well. But I’ll probably shoot into some hard angled 2x4’s just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Thanks for the input all.

10ringer

WKR
Use any insert option you like from easton and get the Iron Will impact collars!
https://ironwilloutfitters.com/products/footers

Make sure you glue your insert with epoxy only. Also don’t glue the collar, if you accidentally put an arrow into a tree, backstop, fence, etc you can unscrew the arrow and only loose your field point and collar.

I have run everything from aluminum insert on up to 75 grain brass + the 25grain collar + 125 head on a 300 spine axis shooting 73 pounds at 28.5 draw. Zero durability issues!!

You would be hard pressed to find a stronger arrow setup.

e766f2f60703a6e34c9cad12e5138423.jpg

The aluminum HIT are great.. The easton aluminum Half-Outs are Weak Ass Shit. They do not take hard impacts of any kind. They've busted on me when hitting tiny branches, hitting my fence boards AFTER being slowed waaay down by my blob target, hitting a 3d elk target high in the spine at 100 yards. The aluminum half outs are the absolute worst IMO

OP
Arctic Hunter
The aluminum HIT are great.. The easton aluminum Half-Outs are Weak Ass Shit. They do not take hard impacts of any kind. They've busted on me when hitting tiny branches, hitting my fence boards AFTER being slowed waaay down by my blob target, hitting a 3d elk target high in the spine at 100 yards. The aluminum half outs are the absolute worst IMO
I fully agree on the halfouts.