Easton HIT removal Tips and Bent Brass HITs

nphunter

WKR
Just thought I’d share, I found a good trick for removing HITs with the drill bit trick. I removed 20 HIT’s last night that were installed with Eason Epoxy, both brass 100gr Safari Tuff and SS 100gr hits. The first coupe I used the drill bit trick and it took forever maybe 75-100 swings or more each arrow. I got the idea that if I froze them in the deep freeze the metal might contract and the epoxy would get brittle and come loose easier. Anyway after about 30 minutes in the freezer the HITs came right out with the drill bit trick, some only took about 5-7 swings most around 10, it made it so much easier and I could easily see movement with each swing. I was able to pull all 20 HITs out in about 30 minutes total. Also when I install hits I clean the shaft well with acetone and scuff the inside with a bore brush to ensure the Easton epoxy holds well. These were removed from RIP TKO arrows.

(Use caution with this, two people have tried with Brass Easton hits and mushroomed them)

I also wanted to share a couple pics of some 100gr brass inserts I pulled. The interesting part is that they still came right out with the drill bit trick. I’ve bent HITs in the past but also split arrows. I have never shot broadheads in these and never knew they were bent. A pretty good reason to run a collar with HITs if you ask me.

I only pulled 8 brass HITs and 3 were bent. None of the stainless ones were bent. I know I will only be using stainless HITs in the future in my arrows. None of the arrows were damaged that had these bent inserts.

81689F46-68DC-4A71-9CBA-FD602F479736.jpeg
D1A5AFFC-07FA-4BB3-9A68-2D7C35FCE9BB.jpeg

Last edited:

Duh

WKR
Thanks for this. I’ve basically given myself tendinitis trying to break some of those inserts out.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
How do those fit in an arrow with that much bend in them? For me, they either spin true or they don't. I can't imagine one of those even fitting inside an arrow shaft first of all, but secondly, I can't imagine not having some wobble with those as well......even if they do go in.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
How do those fit in an arrow with that much bend in them? For me, they either spin true or they don't. I can't imagine one of those even fitting inside an arrow shaft first of all, but secondly, I can't imagine not having some wobble with those as well......even if they do go in.

Beats me, I know they came out. The arrows were not damaged at all either. I also threaded a field point into them before removing them and didn’t notice them being bent.

Beendare

WKR
I'm surprised by the amount of bend in those brass HITs. Is it possible that they got bent during extraction?
Yeah, something weird here because I don’t see those going into Axis Shafts. I think the ends would split with the insert that cockeyed. Looks like a FP that hit rebar in a 3D target.

Spinning your arrows would show you immediately those BHs aren’t straight.…those must be at a 5 degree bend….I’ve never seen anything like that.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
So those arrows spun true?

The bend is on the threaded side, correct?
I didn’t spin them I pulled them when selling the arrows. They were not in my hunting arrows so I’m not really sure. They were bent on the threaded end. I’ve had hard impacts in the past with brads 75gr hits and after had a noticeable wobble.

MattB

WKR
Seems like those inserts had to have been bent during the removal process. Doesn’t seem possible to push an insert with that much of a bend through the shaft without splitting it open.

Just use hot melt glue. Screw in a fieldpoint at heat up in boiling water. Or screw in a fieldpoint half way and heat it up with a torch. Takes about 5-10 seconds to remove a HIT.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Seems like those inserts had to have been bent during the removal process. Doesn’t seem possible to push an insert with that much of a bend through the shaft without splitting it open.
Lol, they were bent before removing them. I literally hit the rear of the insert to slide them out the front. 17 were perfectly straight, these are obviously bent right where the back of the threads would be when screws into the insert. There is now way you could bend an insert like that by hand without clamping it in a vice and hitting it with a hammer.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
@nphunter What exactly is this "drill bit trick"? I've got some arrows with 75 grain inserts that I want 50 gr inserts in. Thanks
Put a drill bit in under the nock flat side toward the insert and swing it so it hits the back of the insert and forces it out.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
That is genius. Arrows are in the freezer...let's see what happens
It takes some hard swings. It’s best to put a small piece of tape to hold the nock from falling out when the drill bit falls back into it. My biceps are still sore from swinging the arrows two days ago:)

PMcGee

WKR
Lol, they were bent before removing them. I literally hit the rear of the insert to slide them out the front. 17 were perfectly straight, these are obviously bent right where the back of the threads would be when screws into the insert. There is now way you could bend an insert like that by hand without clamping it in a vice and hitting it with a hammer.

Did the inserts fly out and hit something when swinging the drill bit? Seems like a lot of bend to be in the arrow with no damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Couldve been when they hit the ground or wall when you blasted them out of there - the drill bit trick takes a massive amount of force and the ones Ive done, the hit has become a projectile coming out. I cant see how its possible for those brass hits to have that much bend in them...and the carbon is both straight and not compromised - there just isnt enough tolerance or slop with those brass hits to have that much bend and the arrow is still usable. Whatever point you had in there would be pinched so hard against the carbon youd need a pliers to twist them out. Theyd also wobble like theres no tomorrow.

Ive done the drill bit thing before, and yes they come out (wear eye proctection) but I had issue putting new inserts back in because of all the caked epoxy left inside the shaft. Id say about 60% of the arrows Ive done the drill bit thing on were able to have another hit properly seated and usable.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That is genius. Arrows are in the freezer...let's see what happens
I've never frozen my arrows before, but I swung an arrow several years ago so many times with a drill bit that it mushroomed the back end of the HIT........and you could see the raised ring around the arrow shaft from that right where the back end of that HIT would be. It didn't budge even a millimeter. But freezing them might have some merit........as long as freezing doesn't somehow break down the resin or carbon in the shafts......kind of like acetone breaking them down, in a different way.