AZ Coues vs CO Muley vs MT Gen.

bpeay4

FNG
What would you do? An Arizona Coues deer hunt for 2 points, a Colorado Mule deer hunt for 2 points or a Montana General deer tag? Part of me thinks I need to wait a couple more years for a worth while tag in CO or AZ but I also have the schedule to make a trip work this year. Also considering a Montana General deer tag.

Article 4

WKR
Have done them all....you can shoot a muley in a lot of states, you can shoot an eastern or western whitetail in a lot of states. There are very few places to shoot a Coues and its a unique hunt that happens only in maybe 1 1/2 states and Mexico. Recommend Coues

OP
bpeay4

bpeay4

FNG
Hunt would be with a rifle. No preference on season however with only two points I'm probably looking at Oct/Nov for coues and Oct. For Colorado.

Mostly just interested in hearing which of these options would the best quality hunt given my current point status.

Article 4

WKR
Hunt would be with a rifle. No preference on season however with only two points I'm probably looking at Oct/Nov for coues and Oct. For Colorado.

Mostly just interested in hearing which of these options would the best quality hunt given my current point status.
Nov Coues hunt is tough, if you are going to burn your points, Dec or Jan hunts give you the best opportunity

FYG

FNG
As a Montanan that can hunt the general tag, I will tell you that should be your last choice, as I personally prioritize low point AZ and CO tags over anything to do with Deer in Montana. Colorado can produce something special in just about any unit, and Coues hunts are a blast, especially since it's something to do later in the year.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have lived in Tucson for years. Hunted nearly every unit near there. Odds say if You want a 90 inch deer, hunt in Nov
Want a book buck save your pints for a good Dec Jan hunt
Odds also say most guys don’t kill at all. Dec Jan offers no better quality of bucks where I hunt versus November.

Article 4

WKR
Odds also say most guys don’t kill at all. Dec Jan offers no better quality of bucks where I hunt versus November.
True. Coues hunting is tough if someone has never done it. They are like smoke sometimes.
Probably would not draw as a non resident with 2 point but there is an outside possibility in 1 or 2 of the S units.
For me, having hunted them for more than 20 years, wait for 4 or 5 points and do a late Dec hunt. Odds go way up and likely to see a 100 plus.

OP
bpeay4

bpeay4

FNG
I would be happy with any decent buck which seems to be a realistic expectation for only 2 points.

Lots of different perspectives mentioned here which I appreciate

TrackerG

FNG
Arizona coues deer hunting is my favorite hunt in the west. I’ve lived in WA, MT, and AZ. I hunted every state in the west except Nevada.