az hunter ed bonus point

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
It’s all about the cash!!! I don’t think it matters what western state it is they are all in on it. I got a shocker the other day for plans in NM. 40% increase this year. There are people out there willing to pay whatever the cost and it’s driving prices through the roof.

Otherwise known as the free market. I actually just wish they would hold a Dutch auction for all the tags. That way the people who value them the most get them. The invisible hand never lies.

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
I am completed the online ethics course a few months ago which qualifies for the lifetime point. It was fairly easy to get through. I believe you have to have had completed 30 days prior to the draw app, so I don't believe you can use the point for 2024.
Confirming on the 30 days ahead of the draw. From the Hunter Ed team at AZGFD "Courses earning bonus points need to be completed 30 days prior to the draw deadline to be applicable for that draw."

wapitibob

WKR
Don Martin has a nr hunter ed class the 1st Saturday in January every year; no field day required. He then hand delivers those tests to the dept and the point will be used in the Elk draw.
Or, you pay $300 and do the ethical hunter ed class 30 days prior to the Elk draw.
Or, you do nothing and have 1 less point.

As to the license, go in early and buy the license, picking a "start date" equal to the last day of the draw period. You then go back into the system and apply, manually entering the license number in the license box.
This years Elk app period ends on Feb 6, use that as the start date or buy it and apply tomorrow. Next year the Elk app period is "expected" to be Feb 4; your license will still be valid.
Then, prior to the 2025 Deer app closing, buy the license and pick the application close date as the start date. That license will be valid for 2025 Deer, 2026 Elk, and 2026 Deer.
And yes, you need a valid license to hunt.

The issue this year is the Elk app period should have been Feb 13 (2nd Tuesday) but they moved it up a week to Feb 6. A dept contact told me the expected close date next year would be Feb 4 but the commission would make the decision at the August meeting.

You can span two years on a license in Utah as well, the difference being you don't need the license to hunt, only to apply.

160andup

Lil-Rokslider
OP
B

bignocks

FNG
Ugggh, you must have not applied in NM before, because you definitely have to also buy a license upfront.
Uggggh u must have for got to look at the price difference between the 2 states to put in for the draw

pirogue

WKR
Uggggh u must have for got to look at the price difference between the 2 states to put in for the draw
What? We obviously had different math teachers in school. Upfront AZ license cost $95 more than NM. A NM elk tag, that you have to pay up front, is $123more than an AZ elk tag, that you don’t have to pay upfront. Yes, NM has those low demand units, with cheaper tag fee, known for your camp getting robbed. Not to mention AZ gives a point if you don’t draw, and NM gives you nothing for no draw, not even the interest on your money they sat on. I could go on, but most readers on the forum know the bottom line.

LFC911

WKR
What? We obviously had different math teachers in school. Upfront AZ license cost $95 more than NM. A NM elk tag, that you have to pay up front, is $123more than an AZ elk tag, that you don’t have to pay upfront. Yes, NM has those low demand units, with cheaper tag fee, known for your camp getting robbed. Not to mention AZ gives a point if you don’t draw, and NM gives you nothing for no draw, not even the interest on your money they sat on. I could go on, but most readers on the forum know the bottom line.
AZ license can be used for 2 years of applications, which i believe makes it cheaper than NM if you aren't applying for deer.

pirogue

WKR
AZ license can be used for 2 years of applications, which i believe makes it cheaper than NM if you aren't applying for deer.
Exactly. Not to mention, NM charges an additional $10 for a Habitat stamp, if drawn. Just an FNG trying to get his post count up, most likely.

OP
B

bignocks

FNG
The smart ass replies when I was open about learning something I couldn't find originally. I've been applying multiple states for many years. My az app was set to auto renew for a license and yes could I get by with every other year i guess. I wondered if every other would work but i Was just worried about making any little mistake with that as it don't take much to screw this up and not get drawn again. Maybe I should look at the dates better for next year. But when every year az is like 160 and u pay 300 for this bonus point and will so for probably the next 20 years but then nm I thought was ike half that for nm. I guess to me the math is more about the yearly dues over the life of trying to draw a tag. Thanks to the guys who answered and don't think they are better than everyone else.

OP
B

bignocks

FNG
What? We obviously had different math teachers in school. Upfront AZ license cost $95 more than NM. A NM elk tag, that you have to pay up front, is $123more than an AZ elk tag, that you don’t have to pay upfront. Yes, NM has those low demand units, with cheaper tag fee, known for your camp getting robbed. Not to mention AZ gives a point if you don’t draw, and NM gives you nothing for no draw, not even the interest on your money they sat on. I could go on, but most readers on the forum know the bottom

Exactly. Not to mention, NM charges an additional $10 for a Habitat stamp, if drawn. Just an FNG trying to get his post count up, most likely.
Not trying to argue with u. I was trying to learn and these kinda of posts are why I'm rarely on here cuz u wanna prove you're better than me. This post was never about NM. At the end of the year I'll have more money applying in NM than I will in az from what I gather so maybe im an idiot but I guess I don't agree when I read what you posted. I get my money back if not drawn but AZ as u state is 95 more. So if that's worth the bonus tag system for you then rock on. I like the NM system. I guess we will just disagree. Good luck getting a tag.

wapitibob

WKR
The smart ass replies when I was open about learning something I couldn't find originally. I've been applying multiple states for many years. My az app was set to auto renew for a license and yes could I get by with every other year i guess. I wondered if every other would work but i Was just worried about making any little mistake with that as it don't take much to screw this up and not get drawn again. Maybe I should look at the dates better for next year. But when every year az is like 160 and u pay 300 for this bonus point and will so for probably the next 20 years but then nm I thought was ike half that for nm. I guess to me the math is more about the yearly dues over the life of trying to draw a tag. Thanks to the guys who answered and don't think they are better than everyone else.

Bonus points in AZ are covered with the application fee of $15, there is no $300 point. No matter what you do, as long as you apply online and that $15 charge goes thru, you'll get your point. As for the app and spanning two years, I'm not going to tell you why, but nobody has been bounced from the draw because their license expired before the app close date. You do what's comfortable but spanning two years is easily done as long as the Dept doesn't play with the dates.

Jmhunt_13

FNG
I passed my hunters ethics a few weeks ago. Am I supposed to turn the paper into azdfg or does the point automatically appear eventually? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

160andup

Lil-Rokslider
I passed my hunters ethics a few weeks ago. Am I supposed to turn the paper into azdfg or does the point automatically appear eventually? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It does it automatically but you likely pushed it too close to the draw deadline, at least for elk. Might not go into effect until the next draw.

OP
B

bignocks

FNG
Bonus points in AZ are covered with the application fee of $15, there is no $300 point. No matter what you do, as long as you apply online and that $15 charge goes thru, you'll get your point. As for the app and spanning two years, I'm not going to tell you why, but nobody has been bounced from the draw because their license expired before the app close date. You do what's comfortable but spanning two years is easily done as long as the Dept doesn't play with the dates.
For sure the 2 year thing is new to me. The 300 point is for the extra hunter ethics course from what I gather.