AZ, Trail Cam Restrictions, Technology

It is looking like trail cameras will probably be completely banned, or at minimum heavily restricted in Arizona. Nevada has also implemented heavy restrictions in 2018 I believe.

A little background-

I have no dog in this fight locally. I hunt Arizona every other year or so, and do not run cameras there (logistically it’s just tough I’m 10 hours away, I’ll admit, I had thought about cell cameras before restriction) I have however, witnessed the amount of cameras implemented in AZ on water sources. Its unbelievable.

Locally, though, I’m about as serious with trail cams as it comes. I don’t want to even admit how many I am currently using, but the number is well over double my age. Way too many to manage properly honestly.

This has been a big past time for me for years. It’s all I do midday on summer weekends. I have been using trail cameras since the days of 32mm film, D batteries and trail cam’s the size of a suit case.

I have to say, I think I support restrictions on public land😮

5 years ago, I would have been devastated if trail cam restrictions were implemented. . Now, I think I support it.

I just think, a line has got to be drawn in the sand. I guess the question, where is the line suppose to go.

I guess I’ve changed a lot. There is a lot of technology that is changing everything. I’ll be honest, it scares me a little bit,

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Comerade

FNG
Yes, I am in my 60's and grew up hunting.
I don't even like motorized vehicles allowances let alone technology advances.
I hunt like a did in the 70's and 80's. No camera, phone etc.
I find those cameras an intrusion on my privacy, it is like legitimizing the common peeping tom .

B&C's stance:

"Trail cameras can be a helpful tool in game management and selective hunting. The use of devices that transmit captured or live images or video from the field back to the hunter crosses the line of fair chase."

That only applies to Cellular and Wi-Fi cameras, but I personally am not a fan of any cameras as I think they take away from the Fair Chase aspect entirely.

Baddog

WKR
Ethics are not the same for everyone. Some think it’s fine to run a 100 cameras others not. Technology has made us more efficient killers look how far we are shooting these says. Should we ban anything over a 3x9 scope? Great glass is cheaper and better than ever, clothes are better, bows are better, etc...

Comerade

FNG
Ethics are not the same for everyone. Some think it’s fine to run a 100 cameras others not. Technology has made us more efficient killers look how far we are shooting these says. Should we ban anything over a 3x9 scope? Great glass is cheaper and better than ever, clothes are better, bows are better, etc...
These trail cameras are spying, imo.
They can do what they want on private land( I guess) but on public land it is an intrusion on anyone out there.
It gives me the creeps and it is not just about hunting.

Yeah, being from AZ as well, I have seen many watertanks with literally over 20 cameras on them. It is annoying to say the least. I think a big secondary issue we have here is any Tom, Dick or Harry can now be a guide and show clients big animals, atleast on camera. Running a 100 cameras is a lot cheaper than having a 100 guys overlook the same amount of area. I am for a complete ban I think at this point. The season idea will certainly get abused. Time to go back to good ol' fashioned guiding again. Time in the field = success.

CorbLand

WKR
I have always had mixed feelings on trail cameras. I have 15 that I put out every year and really enjoy using them.

My stance has always been, trail cameras dont guarantee you kill something but they sure as hell help you find things. Trail cameras definitely make it harder for animals to hide. I have hunted areas because I had a big deer on cameras that I scouted and never saw.

My wifes family is all from Arizona and fully support the trail camera ban. He has shown me pictures of water holes there and there are 30 plus cameras on one. Its insane.

Hoodie

WKR
I think the states where water is scarce have the biggest incentive to pass trail camera regs.

OnX being as popular as it is has probably led a lot of people to a lot of remote springs they might not have otherwise taken the time to find.

I´ve bought cameras a couple times and never ended up putting them out. Once I´ve worked through an area and scouted it thoroughly I don´t like the idea of being tempted to go back in over and over again before the season. I totally get the allure of the cell cams, but I agree with B+C´s stance on them. Definitely shouldn´t be allowed to be out during the season.

Mixed feelings. Trail cameras are fun in their own right and a good way to get kids involved, but cameras carpeting every water hole in the unit is getting out of hand. Especially with all the shenanigans that happen with the cam owners racing to “their” animal opening morning

The February to July cam season seems like good compromise but I wouldn’t shed a tear over a total ban

If there is a ban I’m repurposing mine to watch my parked truck

AZmark

WKR
Lifelong AZ resident and hunter and live in a rural area that’s popular hunting. I have 2 cams that get used occasionally, usually 1 is at my water trough to see what elk/deer/etc are coming in at night. I’ve used the other to look for game. I can’t say that it’s really helped that much but if I had 100 cams like I’m hearing some do then I don’t believe that is ethical. I don’t put my cams on water tank or springs because I had one stolen there and have seen a lot there. I would support the ban no issues. Now if we could just get the lazy hunters on quads and utv’s to keep them on designated roads I’d be happy also. I refer to the utv as a motorized hunters wheelchair.

dtrkyman

WKR
I managed 2500 acres in Illinois for some guys, trail cameras were remarkable tools and crucial to being able to keep tabs on all that ground myself.

Great tool, had fun for the most part checking them, though it was a hassle if I tried checking them all in a day, it would be a full day for sure!

That being said I miss the old days, scouting, hanging a set and seeing what shows up, with all those cams I could hunt guys and tell them what bucks will potentially show up, it is down right lethal!

I really don't think I care either way, I have hunted AZ. the last few years and being from out of state never used a camera there, though I had considered buying a couple and leaving them out somewhere.

cjdewese

WKR
Man can't believe that there are so many cameras by each watering hole. I am in Southern California and have never even seen another camera where I hunt even near water. I have 2 that I use in the offseason but have to physically pull the cards to read any images. For me as a new hunter it helps me at least see that my instincts are correct and adds to my confidence as I learn more.

With that being said, if there was a vote to ban them in Southern California I would be all for it. As long as it's an even playing field, the more work you put in the more success you will find and I am willing to try and outwork anyone else hunting in my area.

TheCougar

WKR
If you asked me in June, I would have been against this. After watching the embarrassing display of guides and the Jimmy John’s guy with the governors tag shooting that bull, I’ve changed my mind. That didn’t resemble hunting in any fashion. If it helps the average DIY hunter who doesn’t have a platoon of professional guides, I’m for it. Yes, this will hurt everyone a little, but it will really impact the big guide services running hundreds of cameras.

Last edited:
OP
Travis Hobbs
Yeah, being from AZ as well, I have seen many watertanks with literally over 20 cameras on them. It is annoying to say the least. I think a big secondary issue we have here is any Tom, Dick or Harry can now be a guide and show clients big animals, atleast on camera. Running a 100 cameras is a lot cheaper than having a 100 guys overlook the same amount of area. I am for a complete ban I think at this point. The season idea will certainly get abused. Time to go back to good ol' fashioned guiding again. Time in the field = success.

This is a great post and great points!

“Finders Fees” have literally motivated many, many people.

I know I could “sell” animals I find/have found and make a comfortable living. But there isn’t enough money worth it.

OP
Travis Hobbs
If you asked me in June, I would have been against this. After watching the embarrassing display of guides and the Jimmy John’s guy with the governors tag shooting that bull, I’ve changed my mind. That didn’t resemble hunting in any fashion. If it helps the average DIY hunter who doesn’t have a platoon of professional guides, I’m for it. Yes, this will hurt everyone a little, but it will really impact the big guide services running hundreds of cameras.

Great post. I couldn’t agree more. That is the new “normal” in the guiding industry. Maybe not quite to the extent of Jimmy John’s, but it’s awfully close. Especially in Utah

CorbLand

WKR
This is a great post and great points!

“Finders Fees” have literally motivated many, many people.

I know I could “sell” animals I find/have found and make a comfortable living. But there isn’t enough money worth it.
Truth in this. Its tempting to do for elk here in Utah. It takes so ******* long to draw a tag that I could "sell" an elk that would die of old age before I draw a tag.