Back country Bipod

I went to buy Javalin tripods for my kids and I really wanted to like them. I was going to buy two pairs and another in the future depending on how they performed. However, the shop owner talked me out of them. They are too short to shoot from sitting so getting above grass can be tricky. And they are simply too expensive for what they deliver. He said when you tilt them one leg will pick up and fold up or some such thing and he wasn't a big fan of them. He said I would be disappointed.
I don't like the heavy bipods or really any that permanently attach to my rifle. I bought the kids a couple of cheap Primos(?) bipods with a rubber junction that pop on and off of the rifle and extended--they turned out to be absolute garbage. Good idea, very bad execution (they are basically unusably bad). I've carried simple aluminum segmented shooting sticks for years but the kids bobble with them a bit, they are hard to adjust for height while maintaining stability, and it calls for carrying something extra. I started using a Velcro strap to tie my trekking poles together but it was a little cumbersome.
I found a link to a product called quick-stix (I think) here and ordered a set of those. I think they are going to be the ticket moving forward, though we only used them once this season. They snap on and tighten over each trekking pole individually and can be quickly locked together turn the poles into a bipod. Super light, simple, sturdy when set up. So far, so good.

I don't know if they make them any more, but have used stoney point steady sticks for quick and shorter shots (sub 300 yards) for years. For longer shots usually resort to a pack and wadded gear for a rest. I have recently purchased javelin (12 in? height) and have been happy with its versitility and ease, but have had negatives to say as well.

OR Bull

FNG
Yes, definitely realistic. I actually take my off sometimes when I'm in areas where I won't be using it and put it in my pack lid. Most of them are pretty easy to pop on and off.

I see a lot of people taking about using their pack. I think that’s reasonable at say 350 plus yds where the animal will be fairly comfortable but what about 200 yds when there’s a good chance they’re gonna see the movement of removing a pack? Often I’m wearing the pack when I spot the critters moving slowly along.

This discussion is timely as I’ve been thinking of this exact thing. I’ve been carrying shooting sticks, but as stated, not always the quickest easiest thing to deploy.

I definitely not an expert in this area but just looking at options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk