Back Country Wading

Anyone do any hike in fishing with waders? What boots do you carry? My wading boots are heavy and I am trying to think of options to cut the weight.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Wear lighter shoes/boots on the way in. Wade wet when you get there with a solid pair of wading boots.

If you must, look into felt sole Tabis.

Approach shoes with sticky rubber soles work well. Light weight wading boots with neoprene socks are anogood option, if you're traveling light.

Another thread on UL fishing! My gear nerd pinnacle! Here’s some Data on Wader and boot weights. Long story short it’s heavy no matter what.

I was trying to figure out the lightest options about a year ago, like the gear nerd I am and compiled this list. It’s not the neatest thing in the world so if you have questions or need clarification just ask.

Best way to shave weight is to not bring something. If you can loose waders, or get away with hip waders, or even a lower cut option (chota hippies) that will definitely be where you make up the most weight. Boots are the same way, figure out how much support you really need and see how little you can get away with.

Lightest way to get full height waders and boots that are somewhat decent would be the Astral Rassler and the Redington escape waders. I picked up a pair of the escapes to cut some weight on trips from my G3s, but haven’t decided on a boot yet. One boot option would be to get an oversized wet wading shoe to save some weight over a full height wading boot.

In a size medium the redington escapes are 30.6 ounces. You can shave an ounce by trimming a few knick knacks off. I had also planned to switch the elastic suspenders to some 1” polywebbing which i think may save 4-5 ounces.

F4217D84-5E0F-4698-A4E8-836FE7F89CE2.png
CFB78D46-9A32-487E-B1CC-996D22F1DB51.jpeg

Last edited:

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I have done it a few different ways and what works for you depends on a few factors, including how cold the water is, wading conditions, how far you are hiking in, etc. I will sometimes hike in with everything in a backpack wearing trail runners and then change into standard waders and wading boots at the river and put the trail runners in the pack. I have the Simms flyweight boot with rubber soles w studs and will sometimes wear those to hike in and also in river with quick dry hiking pants. For me a pretty good compromise between hiking comfort and decent in the river (though not as good as felt). For small streams you can get by without wading boots wearing sandals or shoes without serious traction on the way in and for fishing but unless the wading is very easy I prefer one of the other two options.

As someone stated, water temp is a big factor.
If it is 60 or over, I'm wet wading.
Shorts and my brand new Korkers Swift sandals are solid for a day of wading with the felt soles attached. I got a coupon for 20 off a pair of trekking soles and my use that for an alternate.
They're like hiking in a pair of Tevas, which I do often.

Shane802

FNG
I hiked in with normal hiking boots and had my waders and boots in my pack. It was like 4 miles in so I wanted my normal boots

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone do any hike in fishing with waders? What boots do you carry? My wading boots are heavy and I am trying to think of options to cut the weight.
I was a fly fishing guide for a long time. My go to boot for winter and summer was korkers. I put myself and my clients in them. Lightweight and you can change the soles out to better suit your needs ie (foam, cleats, spikes, etc). Biggest bang for the buck. I truly believe no other company even compares.