I signed on with Roberts Outfitters 2024 in Newfoundland

CRJR45

WKR
My first time going Moose hunting , I'm excited to say the least . Late in the season , but who knows what the weather will be , hopefully late rut . I think I'm driving from Florida so I can take extra gear and bring home the meat , if I'm lucky enough to get one .
Simms waders with wading boots plus some Lacrosse boots ?
What else should I be looking at ?

First of all congrats on booking the tip! Best of luck to you!!

Alaska air cargo will save you a lot of driving time. I flew back 300lbs of meat and my moose rack for $550

Driving sounds miserable and I like me a good road trip. My cousin moved up there a handful of years ago and it took him 60 hours to get to Glennallen from Kansas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alaska air cargo will save you a lot of driving time. I flew back 300lbs of meat and my moose rack for $550

Driving sounds miserable and I like me a good road trip. My cousin moved up there a handful of years ago and it took him 60 hours to get to Glennallen from Kansas.

Waders with simms boots is a great idea. My second pair of boots were Crispi Nevadas. I’d hate to wear rubber boots out there if you’re doing any kind of hiking.

Driving to Alaska is further than you think. It was going to take me 57 hrs from idaho.

I ended up driving 13 hrs to Washington and put our stuff on a barge and flew the rest of the way.

But if you have the time it will be incredible to drive. Just remember driving through Canada with firearms can be a real pain in the a$$… Also the Alcan highway can be pretty tough on your rig.

Good luck on your hunt and your drive!

Congrats, should be a good time. I’d bring your own boot dryer. Whether doing waders or regular boots with gaiters, it’ll be really nice to have.

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR

Sorry , I left out the part of it being in Newfoundland ...

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
Driving to Alaska is further than you think. It was going to take me 57 hrs from idaho.

I ended up driving 13 hrs to Washington and put our stuff on a barge and flew the rest of the way.

But if you have the time it will be incredible to drive. Just remember driving through Canada with firearms can be a real pain in the a$$… Also the Alcan highway can be pretty tough on your rig.

Good luck on your hunt and your drive!
I left off the part of I'm going to Newfoundland . But I put in for Alaska also and if I'm lucky enough the draw , I will drive to Alaska .

“Recent Hunting Trips in North America” by F C Selous had some interesting chapters on Newfoundland. Good bit of history and geography if you’re interested.

Trial153

WKR
I have hunted NF about 6 or 7 times, haven’t needed waders yet. Good rain gear, rubber boots if you can stand walking in them is all I ever needed. I have also used regular boots and gaiters as well and did fine. Never had portage that rubber boots wouldn’t work.
I drive from NY then fly into camp. And it’s a hike, 19 hours to the ferry and then an overnight. Robert’s camp is about 4 hours from the ferry. I wouldn’t drive from Florida.

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
I have hunted NF about 6 or 7 times, haven’t needed waders yet. Good rain gear, rubber boots if you can stand walking in them is all I ever needed. I have also used regular boots and gaiters as well and did fine. Never had portage that rubber boots wouldn’t work.
I drive from NY then fly into camp. And it’s a hike, 19 hours to the ferry and then an overnight. Robert’s camp is about 4 hours from the ferry. I wouldn’t drive from Florida.
My plan is to hit the Amtrak Auto Train to DC and then drive from there . Thanks for the boot advice .

My first time going Moose hunting , I'm excited to say the least . Late in the season , but who knows what the weather will be , hopefully late rut . I think I'm driving from Florida so I can take extra gear and bring home the meat , if I'm lucky enough to get one .
Simms waders with wading boots plus some Lacrosse boots ?
What else should I be looking at ?
I did the drive last year solo from Georgia. I enjoy the time in the truck and the experience it brings.

-if you’re crossing on the ferry at night get a room. They’re cheap and a good chance to get one last shower before you get into the woods. Book it now as they get taken quickly. If you don’t get one because they’re booked up there is a waiting list you can get on.

-assuming you’re taking chest freezer and if you do a flyin hunt, plan to get someone to turn your generator and freezer on a day or so early to get it cooled down before you fly back in from hunting. You don’t want to get back, put your meat in it and then have to get it cooled down.

-don’t over do it on the gear. Looking back I could have taken 2/3 of the 60lbs of gear I took and been over equipped still.

-good and comfortable rubber boots are a must in addition to rain gear. Obviously good binoculars too.

-download a few movies on your phone and take some headphones. After 6 days you run out of things to talk about and I hate reading so a book wasn’t going to keep me occupied in the evening

-talk to your outfitter about an add on bear tag before going out. If you tag out early it’s a nice bonus.

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
I did the drive last year solo from Georgia. I enjoy the time in the truck and the experience it brings.

-if you’re crossing on the ferry at night get a room. They’re cheap and a good chance to get one last shower before you get into the woods. Book it now as they get taken quickly. If you don’t get one because they’re booked up there is a waiting list you can get on.

-assuming you’re taking chest freezer and if you do a flyin hunt, plan to get someone to turn your generator and freezer on a day or so early to get it cooled down before you fly back in from hunting. You don’t want to get back, put your meat in it and then have to get it cooled down.

-don’t over do it on the gear. Looking back I could have taken 2/3 of the 60lbs of gear I took and been over equipped still.

-good and comfortable rubber boots are a must in addition to rain gear. Obviously good binoculars too.

-download a few movies on your phone and take some headphones. After 6 days you run out of things to talk about and I hate reading so a book wasn’t going to keep me occupied in the evening

-talk to your outfitter about an add on bear tag before going out. If you tag out early it’s a nice bonus.
Thank you ! I too enjoy the driving .

keller

WKR
I enjoy driving and seeing new country. I drove from wi to Alaska and from wi to newfoundland. I would not trade that experience. Not that much extra time and having the freedom of your own vehicle is worth alot to me. You dont have to rely on others and can haul everything home.It's a very nice drive for the most part.