Backcountry chair

Linetrash

FNG
Thinking about possibly adding a UL chair for a bit of comfort on the mountain! I know about the helinox but what else is out there? Is it worth it’s weight in gold? Thanks!

I have several items from Helinox and they sure make it comfy in the backcountry, especially as I get older. Sitting in a chair and sleeping in a cot is sooo much better than being on the ground. I always manage to put a hole in an air mat, so its been a cot for me for the past few seasons.

I have the rei version of a helinox and it's super sturdy and comfy, plus its an oz or 2 lighter than a helinox and i got it for $90 on sale. I have had it set up on my porch and job sites for about a year and i really like it. Im gonna be bringing it on my next backcountry trip to see if its worth it on future trips but i suspect it will be. My buddy has a knock off but its almost double the weight so make sure you look at reviews and specs if you do get a knock off. If you dont mind an extra 16ozs or can cut that weight elsewhere(what i did) id say they're worth considering

BBob

WKR
I have a Helinox and a Hillsound from Outdoorsmans. If I want to pack a chair for glassing purposes (rarely do) I'll almost always take the Hillsound stool over the Helinox. It's easier in my rocky desert conditions to use a 3 legged stool over the Helinox. If it's just for in camp comfort I'll take the Helinox. Both are always left in the truck in the bin with food, water, bivy, etc...

OP
Linetrash

Linetrash

FNG
I have the rei version of a helinox and it's super sturdy and comfy, plus its an oz or 2 lighter than a helinox and i got it for $90 on sale. I have had it set up on my porch and job sites for about a year and i really like it. Im gonna be bringing it on my next backcountry trip to see if its worth it on future trips but i suspect it will be. My buddy has a knock off but its almost double the weight so make sure you look at reviews and specs if you do get a knock off. If you dont mind an extra 16ozs or can cut that weight elsewhere(what i did) id say they're worth considering
I’ll definitely look at the Rei version, not worried about cost so much as just looking for alternatives to compare! I’ll be shedding weight this year with going to a floorless shelter for archery so it would work out good!

OP
Linetrash

Linetrash

FNG
I have a Helinox and a Hillsound from Outdoorsmans. If I want to pack a chair for glassing purposes (rarely do) I'll almost always take the Hillsound stool over the Helinox. It's easier in my rocky desert conditions to use a 3 legged stool over the Helinox. If it's just for in camp comfort I'll take the Helinox. Both are always left in the truck in the bin with food, water, bivy, etc...

Haha I’m on their site often and never knew that they made a chair!

BBob

WKR
I’ll definitely look at the Rei version, not worried about cost so much as just looking for alternatives to compare! I’ll be shedding weight this year with going to a floorless shelter for archery so it would work out good!
Backpacking light tested the Helinox and REI and gave a slight edge to the REI. It was for stability (and slightly lighter). REI rotated the legs front to back rather than the side to side of the helinox. If you aren't careful the Helinox can dump you over backwards and BL pointed out it's far less likely with the REI layout.

MtnMuley

WKR

I have both as well and you couldn't have said it better.

bigburr

FNG
I've been using the cascade mtn tech helinox knockoff. 45 bucks. Feels like you're going to eat dirt when you sit down. But it's had a lot of ass time without fail. Light enough. My one luxury item.

Superdoo

WKR
Walmart sells the knock off for $45 for two. I’ve had them about a year now. They’ve held up just fine.
I weighed one a while back and I think the chair without the bag was 1lb 14 oz.

Last edited:

BLM4

FNG
Helinox Chair Zero is definitely nice, for sure a luxury item. Not sure that I’d splurge for it myself, but got it for a Christmas gift and it never leaves my pack. Sitting and glassing is pretty much my only option, haven’t found a tripod that works well for me to stand behind and still hold the optics steady with any amount of wind (6’4). I like the back support of the chair over a stool, but you do sit pretty far back in these chairs so I still find myself leaning forward quite often.

Nimrod62

FNG
I have the Helinox Ground Chair, which I bought in 2016 before the lighter Chair Zero was introduced. The Ground Chair has a unique base that helps prevent sinking into the soil. I'm fundamentally opposed to carrying the weight/bulk of a chair while backpacking, but after a shakedown hike with my son's Scout crew in preparation for a Philmont trek, I realized that I would be sitting as much as hiking, and in that context it was a worthwhile luxury. My son has the Alite chair, but I believe that Alite is no longer in business. For alternatives, you might check out https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-backpacking-chair

Mudd Foot

WKR
I have used the REI Flexlite for several seasons and love it. Getting the hips off the ground really takes pressure out of my hips/low back after long days of walking. Bought it on sale so I think it was 20-30% off. It’s stable at least on the hard pack where we hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk