Backcountry​ hunting vehicles

Historybuff

Lil-Rokslider
Is coming out of state for a western elk hunt, doable out of a Subaru outback? Any Montana or Idaho guys have any experience hunting out of them? I'd love to hear some opinions. Thanks.

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes, it is! Many here have two wheel drive rigs on their Sept hunts. If hunting rifle seasons you should still be ok. Just be careful & use common sense once heavy muds or snows occur as to what's negotiable & what's not!

ElkNut1

Titan_Bow

WKR
Subaru Outback is probably the official state vehicle of Colorado hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I started elk hunting I was fresh out of college and poor. I hunted out of an old Toyota Corolla, and managed to haul a few deboned elk and deer in the trunk.

Just be smart about which roads you drive and you'll be fine.

I used to hunt unit 8 in a 2 door hatchback mustang with a broken door handle when I was at Univ of Idaho. It was a fine car until the clutch went to the floor on a grade outside coeur d alene one summer

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Free bird I had a mustang 2 hatchback that I had taken everywhere hunting. Was a few times I had to wait for road to dry a few days before I could get back out. Back then you could tie animals on top without getting death threats

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I don't hunt Montana or Idaho but have see a couple subs in the mountains during hunting season. Two years ago I saw one with 3 mules on the roof. That was interesting. Just remember most states don't like the animal being "shown off" so be mindful of where you put the horns and what not. Years ago it wouldn't have mattered but now a days we have to work as hunters to make sure the non hunters don't win the battle. If it is what you have than go hunt. Make it work and just be safe and mindful of where you are capable of going.

Free bird I had a mustang 2 hatchback that I had taken everywhere hunting. Was a few times I had to wait for road to dry a few days before I could get back out. Back then you could tie animals on top without getting death threats

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Haha!

I once drove a giant boar through downtown Orlando on the roof of my jeep. No death threats, but lots of dirty looks (and thumbs up!)

I bowhunter hunted CO out of a couple of Honda Civic Wagons back in the 80s - 90s and a CRV into the mid-2000s. Just have the meat boned out and really good tarps to keep blood out of the carpet (or plastic cargo area liners with a lip around them. Good luck!

Trr15

WKR
You can hunt and kill elk without ever taking your vehicle off the paved road. Usually requires some extra miles on the boot leather, but it can be done without a problem.

I might put some decent tires under the Subaru and make sure you have a good spare but it should be fine.

you should be fine, as others have said use your head. Subaru's are defiantly the state vehicle here in Colorado. However, i did see one destroy itself cause it went on a trail that said "high clearance vehicles only" I rolled up in my FJ to see that Subaru leaking oil and dead in the water on the side of the trail, apparently another jeep came through and plowed him off the trail after he had to abandon ship and walk out.(expensive bill ahead) If you stick to basic Forest Service roads you should have no problem at all though.

Greg Beck

WKR
I've taken my 1993 Honda Accord quite the places!!!! Wouldn't be my first choice but it's my only option right now so guess what.... I'm going hunting!!!!

SWOHTR

WKR
Regarding ID - Flat units will be OK (8, 8A) but if you get into the more rugged areas (eg 6, 9) you will want to scrutinize the FS map. An unmaintained road (i.e. Road 301) will be hell on a low clearance vehicle.

Go Vandals!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I'm in unit 1 and you can do it here. Most roads are gated anyways, so all your doing is driving to the gate and hoofin it the rest of the way.

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
I think it would be fine. Those subarus have a ton of room when you fold the back seats.

CCH

WKR
I love going up a rough road in my Jeep, feeling all expeditony and rugged, only to find a Subaru parked at the trailhead. We had Subarus in the family for many years and took them pretty far back. As everyone has said though, be selective in the roads you choose. Getting there, and getting there without damage are two different things. Lots of places you can get to with ease where you can start your hike and hunt.