Backcountry Keto

I tried Next Mile Meals this year and thought they were good. Peanut butter packets are great. One think most people forget is getting adequate electrolytes, I've found LMNT recharge to be awesome and something I won't go without now

zred

FNG
Currently dehydrating a "chili".
Pork sausage, elk roast meat, burger, onion, bell pepper, green chili.
I'll report back.
30566aa5bcea643f0f1c5629c73a2412.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
That looks good!

Firemedic710

Lil-Rokslider
For my sheep hunt I used freeze dried sausage crumbles and eggs for lunch. next mile meals taco and Italian meatball for dinner, they were delicious. Threw in some Justin’s Pb packets as a desert.

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with OP, this post was hard to find. I am hunting DG474- kodiak mountain goats this fall and am keto. Hasn't been an issue in the lower 48 but spike camping, I am a little concerned. I know there are companies out there - radix nutrition, wild hedge keto, next mile meals, floutoutfeasts etc. for freeze dried meals...

How many calories should I consider taking in for a mountain goat hunt?
I typically average 1990/day with 55 grams of fat per meal and fewer than 20 grams of carbs total per day.

Also, I haven't tried any of those above named brands. Any preferences out there? Any reviews of those or others from people who have used them hunting?

GoatPackr

WKR
I agree with OP, this post was hard to find. I am hunting DG474- kodiak mountain goats this fall and am keto. Hasn't been an issue in the lower 48 but spike camping, I am a little concerned. I know there are companies out there - radix nutrition, wild hedge keto, next mile meals, floutoutfeasts etc. for freeze dried meals...

How many calories should I consider taking in for a mountain goat hunt?
I typically average 1990/day with 55 grams of fat per meal and fewer than 20 grams of carbs total per day.

Also, I haven't tried any of those above named brands. Any preferences out there? Any reviews of those or others from people who have used them hunting?
While I don't do a perfect Keto I do use it as a guide. I try and eat relatively low carb.
I will say the Next Mile meals are great and while they are low carb they are also pretty calorie dense for their weight also.
I also am a big fan of LMNT drink mixes.
Something I have started doing is packing things to add to my meals.
Things like powder heavy cream, powder butter, Olive oil in packets and chia seed. I was recently thinking about looking for powder bone broth as it would really add to a meal. I love drinking beef broth with a little added pink sea salt.

Kris

lamarclark09

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I have heard from many people that keto doesn’t work for everyone. So I hope it’s working well for you. I tried next-mile meals and so far my experience is satisfactory.

Sawdog

FNG
I have been packing in Wild Zora for the last few years and love the flavor but it does sit like a brick of grass in my belly. I did try dehydrating meals for a few trips and its fun to do but allot of work. Depending on your time. I also got those metallic bags for the meals which you seal with a hair dryer. But mostly its peanut butter packs, tuna packs, salami, low carb tortillas, nuts and energy bars. Just taste test everything before you head to mts. Some of the bars especially taste like donkey farts.

BlackCore

FNG
For my sheep hunt I used freeze dried sausage crumbles and eggs for lunch. next mile meals taco and Italian meatball for dinner, they were delicious. Threw in some Justin’s Pb packets as a desert.
This sounds amazing. Didn't even know about PB packets, thanks for that.

Kanbe1

FNG
I keep my carbs under 15 grams per meal no more than 45 a day. I too like the next mile meals. They are very well_prepared. I like carrying daily measured amounts of macademia nuts n ym pack too too, I love them. I carried 8 days worth of low carb food this year on an elk hunt. Lots of energy, no stomach bowel issues at all.

taskswap

WKR
I had a steak chicana last hunt trip that I fell in love with, pretty sure it was 0-carb. Give it a try?

Those keto tortilla wraps are pretty damn good. Not sure what’s in them to drop the net carbs but they work for me. I did one trip with smoked turkey, cheese, lettuce and mustard in a wrap. Chamber sealed a few of them. They were pretty tasty - woulda been better with some bacon.