backpack hunt

scot520

FNG
I'm interested in a backpack hunt for elk or mule deer, the quality of the animals is low on the priority list. I'm more interested in a backpack hunt and an adventure more than anything. A sheep hunt is out of my budget so I would like to do that style of a hunt but for elk or mule deer. Id be going solo so I was thinking a guide would be a wise decision. Any leads or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and also this would be for 2022. Thanks

Gerbdog

WKR
Hey Scot,
Since you arent interested in the quality of animal and you are looking for the backpack hunt and adventure experience... i guess i would advise away from the guide. These hunts can and do get done solo every year by many many folks, no reason you cant be one of them, and i'll say from experience that pulling off one of these backpacking hunts solo is definitely an experience. Probably learn more then a little about lots of things. That said, i'd put the money you were going to spend on a guide and put it into a quality pair of boots and a good pack.

Are you looking to go rifle, ML, Archery? It's not a huge concern, just curious, beyond that, and since your looking to 2022, i'd start doing lots of research on the subject of backcountry hunting and surf around these forums. There is lots and lots and lots of information for getting this done without a guide, its just up to you to do the legwork.

No shame in a guide either. Re-reading your post perhaps you are looking for someone to recommend a guide? If that is the case, i'd suggest narrowing down what state and region you want to hunt in, there are 100's of hunting guides in all of these western states, and depending on your budget the sky is the limit on what can be accomplished out here. Once you have narrowed down where and what you are wanting to accomplish someone on the forums here may be able to PM you with an experience they have had with a guide or know of a guide in the area that does well with their clients.

Best of luck.

For a solo backpack hunt mule deer would be a lot easier to learn on. Most guys will be able to get camp and deer out in two trips max. Like posted above I would not hire a guide unless I was more worried about the quality of the animal.

OP
S

scot520

FNG
Hey Scot,
Since you arent interested in the quality of animal and you are looking for the backpack hunt and adventure experience... i guess i would advise away from the guide. These hunts can and do get done solo every year by many many folks, no reason you cant be one of them, and i'll say from experience that pulling off one of these backpacking hunts solo is definitely an experience. Probably learn more then a little about lots of things. That said, i'd put the money you were going to spend on a guide and put it into a quality pair of boots and a good pack.

Are you looking to go rifle, ML, Archery? It's not a huge concern, just curious, beyond that, and since your looking to 2022, i'd start doing lots of research on the subject of backcountry hunting and surf around these forums. There is lots and lots and lots of information for getting this done without a guide, its just up to you to do the legwork.

No shame in a guide either. Re-reading your post perhaps you are looking for someone to recommend a guide? If that is the case, i'd suggest narrowing down what state and region you want to hunt in, there are 100's of hunting guides in all of these western states, and depending on your budget the sky is the limit on what can be accomplished out here. Once you have narrowed down where and what you are wanting to accomplish someone on the forums here may be able to PM you with an experience they have had with a guide or know of a guide in the area that does well with their clients.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the response and I mentioned hiring a guide to make Elk more doable for the pack out. i didn't mention a state or region because im open to anything. I am open to archery or rifle just looking for a backpack hunt experience in the wilderness.

Gerbdog

WKR
Well its lots of fun, although in the moment it sure seems miserable sometimes, haha. It's possible to also line up packers for you if you decide to go the elk route and need help packing an animal out. Many of the guide services out there will offer a packing service where you contact them when you get an animal down and basically pay to have them help you pack it out. Great service if your solo and 7 miles deep. These should be booked in advance though because guides and the packing services are pretty dang busy all season long. They also tend to only work in certain regions of the states they are guiding in, which again comes back to "do you have an idea of where you want to go?". I wish i could give more advice from here, the west is big, the states all have opportunities to hunt them in both Mule Deer and Elk seasons and each state is a little bit different with pros and cons in all of them. In 2022 there are a few states that will still offer over the counter tags for elk and easy tags to get for mule deer.

Since your mostly interested in solo backpacking trips I would look at places with no grizzlies. Start applying in different states for preference points (little late this year) and pick specific areas. Some areas are better for deer and others better for elk, so it's better to concentrate on one species. Scouting, even if it's by Google, is half the fun.