Backpack rifle carrier

Huntchic

FNG
So im looking into a backpack rifle carrier. have read here few threads and seems the Kifaru GunBearer and Expo K4 are the 2 that are most liked. Im using a Mystery ranch pack so looking for something that works with it. I believe the idea of the gunBearer seems nice but concerned that it would get in the way of accessing my handgun in the chest holster. Anyone using this Gunbearer as well as a chest rig have any input. Im open to other options also. I prefer carrying rifle in back center of pack for balance reasons but can work with side system also. Appreciate any input.

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up the stone glacier sling after my hunt last year. It sits the rifle behind your arm, still on the backpack, but out of your way. It’s still quickly accessible.

If you use the gun bearer where it keeps the gun on the front, I’d just skip the sidearm. Your rifle should be very quickly accessible at that point. It was too much in the kitchen for me, though.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
Thanks guys. I admit i like the traditional style Stone mountain. I currently just stff the butt in the side water bottle pouch and use the pack compression straps to hold it to the pack. The only problem is the rifle tends to stick up above the pack a little bit higher than i would like this way. No offence TXtransplant but i wouldn't feel quite comfortable without my handgun along. As i see it its just a needed tool for me.

With the SG sling, you can adjust the length on the butt stock end to let it ride lower or higher. At the pictured length below, I have no issues with it hitting my legs as I'm hiking.

There's a quick release latch that you can use, but I just use the side straps on the SG pack. The only question I would have is whether there's a spare buckle on the mystery ranch to attach the butt stock end to.

Attachments

• IMG_1704.JPG
    IMG_1704.JPG
    651.1 KB · Views: 52
OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
I believe my packs molle straps along the bottom would work for it. I also could sew a way to attach it if need be.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
Thanks everyone. Think im going to get one on order tonight. be nice to not be sticking it in side pouch and having barrel sticking up like a cell tower.

mcseal2

WKR
I run an Exo and it works similar to the SG. I can't get a 24" barrel below the top of the pack with a day hunt type load though. I have an older K2 pack with the older K2/K3 style rifle carrier.

When I carry a pistol in a chest holster I'm usually in AK, and my rifle is strapped to the center of the pack instead of the side. It keeps the weight more centered that way for me.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
I agree mcseal2 about liking rifle in center of the pack. That's my perveance also. Been carrying it on the side of the pack it always feels bit awkward and out of balance.
If i really feel i may need to take a shot or high chance of danger i carry rifle in my hands. handgun is mostly for when I'm doing something where rifle is out of reach, butchering, camp chores or just plain not expecting trouble. critters n knuckle heads always seem to come along when you least expect them so having a handgun on me full of party favors is comforting. not as good as rifle but beats a sharp stick or knife.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Western Edge Gear also has a simple carrier that will attach just about anywhere on a pack. It holds the stock, and the pack's compression straps keep the gun from slopping around.

intunegp

WKR
If you're liking the style of carriers posted so far the Kuiu quick draw gun holder is also worth a look. Just wanted to throw another option out there for you.

jrfred

FNG
Classified Approved
Been using the Kifaru gunbearer for years with trekking poles and has been solid, I have a 24" barrel. You can adjust the rifle to ride more vertical or out in front of you, depending on hiking conditions, day/night, etc. The rifle naturally rotates upside down for me so to not have the bolt knob digging into your hip I rig it on my right side (using a left hand bolt gun). If you get into some thick stuff you can quickly unlatch it and hand carry your rifle through, but I have found I almost never need to do this, it stays put. A blued barrel or black carbon fiber barrel would be better at night than shiny metal for sure (headlamp glare). The only thing to make sure of is that quick disconnect latching clip is not close to the curvature of your gun barrel, it MUST be straight and in tension and it's reliable. (don't ask me how I know this).