Trying to build out G20 gen 5 everything rig. Razco?

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
So I've been trying to plan out a full Gen 5 G20 rig for all my outdoor needs. Want to be a able to bino pack carry, chest carry without binos, pack carry and/or belt carry.

Been looking at the Razco setup, but have seen a few comments and reviews about their holster retention not being amazing.

I think I've got it figured out to get the newer Razco binopack setup (with an AGC) with the G-code RTI interface and then picking up a G-code XSR level 2 thumb break holster and a G-code belt clip than I can clip on my belt or on the pack cummerbund straps (Kuiu pro).

If I'm not mistaken you can run the AGC harness on the Razco backer without the binopack for chest carry.

What do you guys think about said setup? Any other suggestions?

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
I'm interested in this question too. I just ordered a safariland drop leg holster (21 day wait). I went with that option for the ALS system's strong retention. I've carried a chest rig for a while but it is a bit crowded and cumbersome with binos especially when layering clothing. Going to try something new . . .

OP
JF_Idaho

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I'm interested in this question too. I just ordered a safariland drop leg holster (21 day wait). I went with that option for the ALS system's strong retention. I've carried a chest rig for a while but it is a bit crowded and cumbersome with binos especially when layering clothing. Going to try something new . . .

For a Gen 5? Special order? I wasn't able to find anything from Safariland for a Gen 5 20/21. I have a ALS for a Gen 4 21 and the Gen 5 20 does not fit at all. I love that holster though.

The G-code holster has the hood for retention but releases via thumb like the ALS.

For a Gen 5? Special order? I wasn't able to find anything from Safariland for a Gen 5 20/21. I have a ALS for a Gen 4 21 and the Gen 5 20 does not fit at all. I love that holster though.

The G-code holster has the hood for retention but releases via thumb like the ALS.
Not to derail, but what doesn’t fit between the gen 4 and 5 20 / 21 holster? Curious because I have a gene 4 20 and have been looking at A gen 5 21. Did they change a dimension on the gen 5 guns?

OP
JF_Idaho

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Not to derail, but what doesn’t fit between the gen 4 and 5 20 / 21 holster? Curious because I have a gene 4 20 and have been looking at A gen 5 21. Did they change a dimension on the gen 5 guns?

Ambi-slide release. Maybe the holster could be heated up or dremeled out in that area to make it work. I didn't make it that far.

Lots of Gen 3/4 holsters won't fit the Gen 5s. Gen 5 holsters will fit the previous versions.

Ambi-slide release. Maybe the holster could be heated up or dremeled out in that area to make it work. I didn't make it that far.

Lots of Gen 3/4 holsters won't fit the Gen 5s. Gen 5 holsters will fit the previous versions.
Got it. FWIW that slide release is a $20 part. DreMel the left side off and it would probably fit.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
I have a razco holster for my stone glacier pack, retention is fine in my opinion

I sewed my own. Had to to fit the TLR-1 light. It can go under a bino harness or on my SG belt.

6f3f1fda87776476e90f5e66835765d3.jpg

OP
JF_Idaho

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Got it. FWIW that slide release is a $20 part. DreMel the left side off and it would probably fit.
So I compared the 2 a little closer. The ambi-release sticks out more on both sides (extended) there is the bump in frame the release sits above. Also the frame and the slide are about 1/8"-3/16" longer overall.

OP
JF_Idaho

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I have a razco holster for my stone glacier pack, retention is fine in my opinion

I've seen people say both. There's a thread on here somewhere that someone dropped their pistol out and didn't realize for a bit. I would just prefer level 2 retention for piece of mind.

How do you feel about the Razco setup in general? Comfort wise? I guess that's the more important question for me at this point.

OP
JF_Idaho

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I sewed my own. Had to to fit the TLR-1 light. It can go under a bino harness or on my SG belt.

6f3f1fda87776476e90f5e66835765d3.jpg

Nice work. Looks pro.

I've been using the AGC holster, which is similar. It's a little more floppy than I would prefer. Just doesn't give me the off-pack chest carry and is way too floppy for belt-carry. Hoping for a more ridged setup.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
I've seen people say both. There's a thread on here somewhere that someone dropped their pistol out and didn't realize for a bit. I would just prefer level 2 retention for piece of mind.

How do you feel about the Razco setup in general? Comfort wise? I guess that's the more important question for me at this point.
It's a kydex holster with a specific mounting system for the krux belt. It isn't anything special but it works.

I don't have their chest setup.

Nice work. Looks pro.

I've been using the AGC holster, which is similar. It's a little more floppy than I would prefer. Just doesn't give me the off-pack chest carry and is way too floppy for belt-carry. Hoping for a more ridged setup.

I don’t like the flop either, which is why I sandwiched a thin sheet of HDPE in there. Adds some rigidity. Also like/need the custom fit.

IW17

FNG

Haven't read the thread you're referring to, but kydex is very easy to heat up and adjust the retention. I wouldn't let that sway your purchase if it works for your purposes otherwise.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
RUT holsters fit most of your needs but not all, it'll mount to the underside of your bino harness (I guess depending on which one you have), it'll mount to your hip belt on your pack, and it'll mount on your belt.

OP
JF_Idaho

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I went ahead and ordered the razco placard setup with the g code holster and belt clip. Just seems like the best option for what I want to achieve for now. With the g code rti you can adapt most holsters to the razco setup.

Most of my holsters are level 1 retention, and I certainly have no problem with that with the pistol in the vertical position. But with the pistol horizontal, I would just prefer the piece of mind of level 2.

I also like with the Razco placard setup you can strap it to stay closer to the body. I don't like when they just hang loosely off the bino pack and belly flop all day.

Seems like a setup that will work for what I need, and can grow into in the future. I'll take some pics of everything when I get it setup.

I went with venandi. G19 with optic and TLR-7

Attachments

• IMG_0437.jpeg
    IMG_0437.jpeg
    410.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0436.jpeg
    IMG_0436.jpeg
    421.7 KB · Views: 64

AK4570

FNG
If you're going to use the Razco in the chest rig configuration, you may want to lanyard your pistol. Neither my G20 nor G17 holster shells made it into the field... there was just no way to get retention to a trustworthy level.

Things may have changed, since I purchased; both shells were ordered March of last year.

Best regards,
John

OP
JF_Idaho

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
If you're going to use the Razco in the chest rig configuration, you may want to lanyard your pistol. Neither my G20 nor G17 holster shells made it into the field... there was just no way to get retention to a trustworthy level.

Things may have changed, since I purchased; both shells were ordered March of last year.

Best regards,
John

That is why I chose to go with the G Code shell with level 2 retention. But thanks for the heads up. Just confirms my skepticism.

This is my opinion of course…I can’t see how with Kydex you could get a repeatable product, one after the other with so little variation that what you did get didn’t matter. I think to do it right would require machinery that these little boutique brands can’t afford. I bet they have a heavy inspection and rework cycle, which is fine, but it’s probably very manual and human and subjective.