Backpacks!

Weston

Lil-Rokslider
I am getting ready (within the next month or so) to purchase a new backpacking backpack. Working at an archery shop for a few years is perhaps what actually scared me for when this day came. I know packs are very unique to each individual. Perhaps more so than bows which I would venture to say are probably the two most fit to user pieces of equipment utilized commonly. So this is where the debate stars, I have been reading up as much as I can on packs on here as well as a few other websites. I think a Kifaru system is certainly in my sights. However I'm definitely a research before I buy type guy and live by the buy once cry once philosophy. I have been using an Eberlestock dragon fly as my primary pack for the past three or so years, with decent results. First off I am a thin guy, 32 inch waist, 600 or 601 feet tall, 165 pounds. however I have fairly broad shoulders for my size. Things I liked about the E-stock, it was incredibly tough, Tough enough that even when expanded I could put two boned out quarters (elk) plus some gear and misc meat in the netted mesh. It is very adjustable and I got a fairly comfortable carry system down (the rifle I have been shooting is right at 15 pounds and is a large .338 Lapua) it could accommodate my bow but poorly. Things I did not like about this pack. It was small on space, even expanded I had a hard time packing enough gear for a 4 day. Granted I did not have the best gear while I was in college I was more of a price point shopper. However I am acquiring basically all new hunting gear before the end of the year and I'm trying to buy the best of the best and not worry about price so much. So I'm honestly not sure how many CI I will actually need with new smaller/ more compressible gear.
I would like to be able to do a 5 or so day trip fairly comfortably. I do live in the desert which is a very awkward climate to backpack in, for all the weight savings in not needing the ultra warm gear and insolation layers I make up for in extra water as the water sources we have are few far between and unreliable at best.
I have been trying to go by the ounces equal pounds philosophy buying new gear recently, however running out of room in a pack would really irritate me and I'm not sure that the extra few ounces for a significant amount more storage space wouldnt be worth it to me.
I basically had my mind set on a Kifaru system perhaps a bikini and high camp however I am definitely not sure about this. But, today I went to the Outdoorsmans to drop off my new Swaro 12x50 El's to have a tripod adapter pressed in. Low and behold I ended up having a great conversation with the owner/designer of the packs, The packs looked very nice and were comfortable, and above all absolutely huge. I have heard good things about these packs. The one pack I did play with I noticed a few flaws, the first one was the zippers, to my semi trained eye they looked like mediocre quality. Furthermore these frames were a very light weight plastic and seemed weak. Lastly, the lack of pockets on the waist band. I really like waist band pockets, and I dont really know why but I do like putting my GPS and havalon in these pockets, and depending on how close I am to the border I'll often throw a subcompact glock in one. I did really like the LONG optics pockets, it looked like I could fit my tripod (slik 330 DX with Jim White head on it in one side and actually be completely zipped.
The kicker, I still think I am interested in the KIfaru system mostly because of the suspension. I like the way the bikini looks and the reviews I have read. So... I guess I am more looking for advice from people that have some experience with high end packs, as I have never owned a truly high end pack. Also, I am leery of purchasing such a large purchase without seeing one first hand (like the kifaru) so perhaps I am trying to get peoples opinions on which ones I should even be looking at.
I really do value all suggestions no matter how long or short and am very appreciative of the time it takes people to respond. So I would like to thank everyone in advance who decides to contribute to assist me in my decision, even though I understand that similar topics are discussed here fairly frequently.

OP
Weston

Weston

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for the big long blob, I swear I put paragraphs in it, I'm not entirely sure where they went.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would look at the Mystery Ranch Metcalf and Stone glacier as well.

To me, the MR, SG ans Kifaru will all be more comfortable then the Outdoorsman.

I work for Kifaru, so I'm going to be partial to them, but again, Outdoorsman makes some great products, but the pack wouldn't be my first choice.

Shrek

WKR
There are a few kifaru bikini owners in Arizona that you might be able to meet with and try one . There is nothing low quality about Kifaru ! As light as the Bikini is it is still bomb proof tough. Another idea is to go to the Kifaru rondi that is coming up and see the equipment in action.
The Bikini with the timberline 1 bag would be the ticket for you IMO . Remember that all the bags and accessories fit from both the hunting and tactical lines so there are lots of ways to rig the bikini frame for what you are doing at the time. Nothing carries better than a Kifaru pack and the Bikini is king for comfort IMO. The belts are phenomenally comfortable and get tight and stay tight with a load. There is a bunch of videos on the bikini here at Rokslide to check out. Good luck.

cmeier117

WKR
I would shy away from that outdoorsmans pack. Try and find someone that owns a SG Kifaru or MR and try them on.

cmeier117

WKR
I read through your post a little more carefully. I think a bikini with DT 1 bag would fit your needs perfect! Has slot pockets for spotter and tripod and like you mentioned in the beginning of your post about packs being specific to people and unique etc... The Kifaru packs can be made to fit ANYONE. If a K pack can't fit you nothing can. Give me a call if you want I own 3 of them and could give you my thoughts if you want. 503-930-1098

Shrek

WKR
Something to think about when looking at a mystery ranch is that there are pages and pages of threads on the web about guys adding load lifters and now aftermarket products to get the lift you need for a heavy load. Nobody complains about their quality but they are heavy and need mods to work for heavy loads. Kifaru and Stone Glacier both have the MR product beat for function imo. For long term proven performance nobody can touch Kifaru. I'm not convinced that velcro will hold up in the long run and pure carbon frames are also problematic. Carbon is extremely strong and light but it is easy to damage. The composite that Kifaru uses addresses this by utilizing carbon for stiffness and natural wood fibers for impact resistance and spacing the carbon layers to utilize their properties better. It allows much more flex and impact without damage than a pure carbon fiber frame.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Well I dont work for Kifaru but am a Kifaru Owner. Unlike Aron I will be partial to them =). With that said I love the simplicity of the Timberline Series packs. I dont need to be able to remove my pack from the frame. It suits me great and can carry a lot of weight comfortably. Yes the Timberline arnt as current as the Bikini Frame + bag but I tell you what.... You wont find tougher well built backpack then this. It is also a good balance between the weight of the pack and the amount it can carry. Id go as far as to say you cant find a better ratio on the market. Its super modular as you can add pouches all over this pack but also keep it slimmed down and still have enough room with just the bag and no added pockets to do 5 days easy out in the wild. Im using the Timberline 2. The Timberline 3 is a big pack it can definitely take care of your 10 days plus in the field but so can the Timberline 2 if I add in a Large Pod and some longs or an EE on the back. Like I said its completely customizable to your needs and slim enough to use as a day bag when I cinch it down. It carries my bow easily with the added grab it and I put a xlt lid on for additional storage space. Yes their are definitely other packs out there that can compete but youll never know until you test them put them on put some weight in them and start walking for a mile or so.
I completely understand your plight. And I also want to add that Boots are definitely in the custom fit category. A pack purchase is a big deal. Good luck on your search man.

I have a Kifaru DT3, I've owned it for almost a year so far it's great. I have been schlepping 50+ lbs of sand around the neighborhood in it to prep for this season. It’s very comfortable under load, and has great accessibility with built in pockets. If I could do the purchase again I would possibly get a DT2 or DT1, as I can see myself hauling deeper into the back country with more gear. I can always add a bigger bag to the frame which is a feature I like as well. I don’t have opinions of any other pack companies you named.

ckleeves

WKR
Something to think about when looking at a mystery ranch is that there are pages and pages of threads on the web about guys adding load lifters and now aftermarket products to get the lift you need for a heavy load. Nobody complains about their quality but they are heavy and need mods to work for heavy loads. Kifaru and Stone Glacier both have the MR product beat for function imo. For long term proven performance nobody can touch Kifaru. I'm not convinced that velcro will hold up in the long run and pure carbon frames are also problematic. Carbon is extremely strong and light but it is easy to damage. The composite that Kifaru uses addresses this by utilizing carbon for stiffness and natural wood fibers for impact resistance and spacing the carbon layers to utilize their properties better. It allows much more flex and impact without damage than a pure carbon fiber frame.

Most of the load lifter problems are with the Crew Cab. The other thing is that the MR yoke design carries very well ( for some people, me included and I'm 6'4") I don't get the same load lifter angle with the Metcalf as I do a 26" Kifaru but with the same weight they carry about the same. I might give a slight edge to Kifaru in comfort but MR wins in bag quality and function IMO. I formed my opinion from owning and using both. Not a fanboy of either brand, I keep an open mind until I have actually used a product.

Weston , i have a similar build as you and used to use a 338 out of a eberlestock pack as well. This year I bought a Bikini and just attached my eberlestock scabbard to the frame. Saves alot of weight and I can change the pack to suit my needs.

blb078

WKR

The Stone Glacier frame frame isn't pure carbon. It has high density polyethylene in it, making it even stronger. Also the velcro will have no problem holding up, it's not some cheap stuff you can get at Wal-Mart, infact I've never seen velcro even the cheap stuff not hold up. But at full contact the velcro on the SG has a 400lb rating on it.

Shrek

WKR
I didn't know the SG had polyethylene in the frame. The only thing I had read about it was the frame was carbon fiber. I don't doubt the strength of the industrial hook and loop but its long term durability in this application is not proven as far as I know. The SG is the first pack I know of to use it to hold the shoulder straps to the frame. The SG is certainly a very high performance pack without doubt and may prove to be every bit as durable as the Kifaru line has. The Bikini is new also but all of the materials used have a stellar track record and so does the company making it.

DWarcher

WKR
I'm not convinced that velcro will hold up in the long run

Considering that there are thousands of Dana Design packs still in the hills and running strong, I don't think that the velcro should be that big of a concern. That being said, I would choose the Kifaru. :)

Shrek

WKR
Ok ! Ok! Ok! Honestly I'm a Kifaru coolaid drinker and everything else is at best deeply flawed if not outright junk imo. Lol! Come Monday I'll be spending another chunk of change with Kifaru :)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Most of the load lifter problems are with the Crew Cab. The other thing is that the MR yoke design carries very well ( for some people, me included and I'm 6'4") I don't get the same load lifter angle with the Metcalf as I do a 26" Kifaru but with the same weight they carry about the same. I might give a slight edge to Kifaru in comfort but MR wins in bag quality and function IMO. I formed my opinion from owning and using both. Not a fanboy of either brand, I keep an open mind until I have actually used a product.

I think that is a great quick synopsis of both MR and Kifaru. Both packs carry weight extremely well (if you don't use the NICE frame by itself and use a NICE 6500 or the new Metcalf). I would say the MR packs are stout for sure, likely stouter than the Kifarus IMO, and they should be as they are heavier by a good margin. That said I have put some wear holes in my NICE 6500 long pocks on the outside and haven't put a hole in the Kifaru yet....it'll happen though I have no illusion it won't. Both are great super tough packs but not invincible. Great brief rundown on your thoughts on the packs Ckleeves, pretty much mirrors my thoughts. Though I find the Kifaru waistbelt MUCH better and enjoy the pack being literally half the weight of the NICE 6500 I had. Can't go wrong with either. Look at the features both offer and find which one is best for you.

That said I run Kifarus now, but everyone is different and like boots different packs fit different people better than others. Good luck in your search.

ckleeves

WKR
I agree with you about the waistbelt for sure. I think that's a big part of where the K comfort comes from. Is it to much to ask for a Kifaru waistbelt with a MR yoke design with a little less padding in the shoulder straps? I can dream right?

dotman

WKR
I agree with you about the waistbelt for sure. I think that's a big part of where the K comfort comes from. Is it to much to ask for a Kifaru waistbelt with a MR yoke design with a little less padding in the shoulder straps? I can dream right?

Hmm, sounds to me like it is time to breakout a sewing machine :) and order up a belt.

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
I would also agree with having the mystery ranch yoke and Kifaru hip-belt. I really do love the NICE Frame,but it could seriously use some natural curvature at the bottom of the frame along with the super comfortable Kifaru Hip-Belt. The Kifaru Hip-Belt should be known as the Super-Belt or Mega-Belt or something. At least the Mystery Ranch Futura Yoke has a catchy name.