Backup Rifles?

jreyna

FNG
How many of your keep a backup rifle at camp on your elk hunting trips? I'm wondering if I should include a backup rifle when I pack up my rig for my upcoming hunt. If I did take a backup rifle, it'd likely stay at basecamp.

Any stories of needing to use your backup rifle?

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
How many of your keep a backup rifle at camp on your elk hunting trips? I'm wondering if I should include a backup rifle when I pack up my rig for my upcoming hunt. If I did take a backup rifle, it'd likely stay at basecamp.

I started bringing one with me. Never needed to use it but the way I look at it is my rifle is about the only thing on my hunt if something went wrong with I can’t just drive into town and buy a replacement to keep from having a hunt ruined. However if I were leaving my truck at a trailhead for multiple days and not returning everyday I’m not sure i would bring one

Axlrod

WKR
I don't.
How many rounds have you put through your current system? Have you had any problems?
In over 40 years at elk camp I have only seen a few problems.

Loose scope rings/mounts- easily prevented.

Dust bound up a firing pin on a push feed Winchester of mine- Striped it at camp and cleaned it with hot water. Ran it with no oil and a homemade waterproof wrap over the scope & action after that.

Case head separation- was not repairable in the field with tools avail. Owner of the gun could have prevented it by not using brass for hunting with 12+ firings on it to save money.

My brothers new savage wouldn't fire, so we striped the bolt, and stretched the firing pin spring to fix it.

Overall bolt actions are pretty reliable. Just give it a good inspection before heading out.

IdahoBeav

WKR
I bring one, but it is much shorter and weighs much less than my primary rifle, and I will opt to hunt with it instead if I decide to hunt a more dense area with anticipated shots of shorter distance.

Macintosh

WKR
At the family hunting cabin, yes. Never had to use it on a rifle but I like carrying one or the other depending on whim. I have a thing for old shotguns and have broken some hard to replace parts before, so having a backup has saved a trip at least once off the top of my head. My hunting rifles are all newer but I just got in the habit. I would not bring a spare for a backcountry trip if thats what you mean.

My rifle failed on my first Western hunt to Utah. I did not bring a backup rifle but one of the guys in camp did. I finished my trip with his backup (7mm STW). I’ve been back several times and always carry a backup.

Jbuck

FNG
Always bring a backup. Have two when I have to travel to hunt. Luckily I've never had to use my spare, but I've had to lend it out twice. Both caused by scope failures on their rifles. I've built both using the same parts other then chambering (6.5cm and 300wsm) and barrel length (20"and24")

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211209-192422_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211209-192422_Gallery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 33

BDWMT

FNG
I always bring one on a destination hunt. Cheap insurance if you have one.

packer58

WKR
I also bring a back-up, not so much for a malfunction of my primary rifle but drop one just wrong and that rifle is done for the trip ......

I wouldn’t go out of my way to get one, but if you have one just sitting in the safe yeah why not? Especially if you’re essentially camping out of your truck and not backpacking everything in.

Hof

FNG
I do…. And I’ve ended up carrying my spare after having the scope smack off a rock when I slipped. Turned out hit held zero but I got back at dark and headed back out early. Didn’t have an opportunity to check zero so took the one I felt most confident in.

rcook10

WKR
Pretty much always have a secondary of some sort in the truck/camp. Have only had one incident where I needed it; buddy had a hard fall with his rifle and used it to harvest a deer.

You mentioned loading a rig, so I assume you are driving. I would bring one. I always have a zeroed backup rifle in camp. Used it once so far, when I loaned it to another hunter who broke the stock on his. Just piece of mind in case something weird happens to your boomstick.

Never leave home wo a backup rifle. If you hunt long and hard enough, things happens. Trip, fall, bang your scope, etc.. Without a backup SOL or borrowing someone else's guestionable gear.

Wapiti1

WKR
Backup rifle, no. Backup scope, yes. I bring a known good second scope that I have mounted, sighted, and is ready to go. Just swap scopes, check/adjust zero, and keep on hunting.

Jeremy

taskswap

WKR
I bring one, but not because I think I'll ever use it, to be honest. My primary is a 7mm-08 carbine length that I love because I'm mostly a timber-scrambler in the mountains and it's light and nimble. My backup is a 30-06 with a long, heavy barrel and big scope. I suppose I could use it if my primary had an issue but at least in my experience the majority of failures in the field are things like dropping or damaging a mag. I do bring a spare mag, and that comes with me on my hunts. (No joke, I know TWO people who've had a mag fall out of their rifles - one was just a scare, one actually got lost, unnoticed!) So I don't even bother with an ammo wallet. I just have an extra full mag in my side pouch.

The reason I bring my 30-06 is because I really enjoy it as a rifle in general. I'm trying to improve my long-range skills. Usually the week before the opener I'll go to a nearby range to sight in my primary. While I'm there I'll run a box through my backup just to keep practicing with it.

Speaking of worrying about possible problems, I do carry a small bottle of Hoppe's oil and a few patches at all times. If I ever got water or dirt in the barrel (I tape mine but stuff happens) I can always tie a patch on a piece of string, oil it, give it a few drops, and run it through. The oil is also nice in case some of my gear is squeaking, or I get moisture in the action and want to dry it and protect it overnight.

TaperPin

WKR
Two identical rifles that shoot well solve a lot of problems. The most obvious is as a loaner for a buddy or yourself when the primary gun takes a crap. It’s also nice when one gun starts shooting poorly - just shoot the other a few times and you know the problem isnt you. Swap the scope and in a couple of shots you know if that’s the problem. To upgrade a stock, trigger, magazine or whatever, there’s never a rush because one rifle is always ready to go.

As kids get into their 20’s a loaner rifle is just one more excuse to get them to visit. In their 30’s you can joke with them about every scratch, ding and dent they inflicted.

I’ve come to see the backup rifle as much more than insurance. At times a long range pistol can pique your interest and at the last minute you trade the rifle for a scoped TC Contender, or take both if you are tough. A light caliber can be a backup, as well as a great plinking round on the way home - you know there will be rock chucks at that big boulder filled ridge you drive by. I have taken a 30-30 along antelope hunting as a second rifle, but it’s only the second rifle if it doesn’t kill something first.

Then there’s the old wood stocked 243 with the badly pitted barrel. Since day one it has sent a 100 gr Partition like a guided missile for everyone from my most experienced friend to kids that have never taken a deer. Rock chucks to elk. It probably should have been my primary rifle all these years because it simply works better than it should.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
I normally take my ruger 77 338 win mag as my primary and I will pack my ruger model one in 270 weatherby any more as well we go in by horse and I've seen rifles get damaged when a horse broke in two or had a bad slip in the past I didnt bring the weatherby and instead packed in my 44 mag marlin 1895 and my ruger super redhawk none the less there has always been some form of backup rifle when riding into camp if it's just me myself and I its normally just my rifle slung on my shoulder and the 44 in the scabbard.