ban on video taping hunts on public ground

So, the OP's objection to filming hunts was that they create unwanted exposure to certain hunting spots. Valid point. Although, I would bet that this forum (and others like it) have blown up considerably more hunting spots than filmed hunts ever have, like by a mile. I personally have given people intel on public hunting spots on Rokslide who've drawn limited tags and seem like good folks. I must be the only one ; ) Just food for thought.

I'm not sure what charging an exorbitant fee would solve either...if publicizing certain hunting spots is your actual rub? That fee wouldn't go to you, the government would get it. And, your spot would still be blown up, no?

Pretty much any legal/approved activity conducted on public land is allowed to be filmed for commercial use via a permit/fee. Generally, unless it damages the environment or is egregiously disruptive. Commercial video capture on public ground is broadly allowed and it transcends every industry. From sporting events and outdoor recreation, to filming truck commercials, movies and TV shows. You can't just single out and ban hunting because you don't like it, public land belongs to everyone, that's what makes it public. Like it or not, it's part of the game.
My objection is that the overall promotion of hunting in general has had detrimental effects across the country.
Maybe you like all the hunting pressure you encounter, I don’t

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
My objection is that the overall promotion of hunting in general has had detrimental effects across the country.
Maybe you like all the hunting pressure you encounter, I don’t
I couldn't agree more. The overall promotion of hunting has caused many negative externalities for those of us who have been doing it for a long time. Trust me, I live in an OTC elk unit in Colorado. Nobody feels the crushing pressure more than us. The very LAST OTC unlimited elk tags available in the country. It wasn't always like that, either.

And, I didn't say I liked it. I said it was part of the game. It's public land. For everyone to be able to use it how they want to (without damaging it), every use is, and should be, allowed. Should we ban General Motors from filming their new pickup commercial on public land because Ram wanted to use that spot first? Should we ban a national mountain bike championship race because someone else likes to camp with their family where the race is being held and now their are no available camp spots the weekend they want to be there? Should we ban mapping software (like OnX) because it allows for satellite imagery scouting and remote navigation? Mapping software tech has probably blown up more hunting spots than anything else, forums and films included. That holds true for hiking, biking, off-road, moto, camp, fish....you name it.

I'm not just trying to play devils advocate. Rolling with the punches is how it goes on public land. There are a boatload of people trying to stop us from hunting on public land altogether. That's the top priority. Banning hunting content is what the people who want to ban hunting altogether hope happens. Like it or not, the more interest in hunting we have across the board, the bigger our cumulative voice is and the harder it is to shut hunting down altogether.

IdahoElk

WKR
Anytime you do something on public land for profit don’t you need a concession permit from the government?

Like it or not, the more interest in hunting we have across the board, the bigger our cumulative voice is and the harder it is to shut hunting down altogether.
How many more? Double? Triple?

Hunters aren’t even 5% of the population. Do you think people will keep hunting if hunter numbers double?

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
How many more? Double? Triple?

Hunters aren’t even 5% of the population. Do you think people will keep hunting if hunter numbers double?
Hunter numbers aren't at risk of doubling. Period. I don't care how many films come out.

There were roughly 14 million hunters in the US in 1960, at a time when there were 179 million Americans. The hunter numbers haven't changed much as an average over the last 6 decades. It's at roughly 15 million today, but our total population is 334 million. So, as a percentage average of the total US population, the number of hunters has actually been on the decline. That's attrition, not growth. Similar to economic deflation.

Here are some numbers from the last 15 years or so for you (these are the most current stats available). Not really a marked change, other than about a 10% decline in hunter numbers through the 2010's.

Most of the commercial side of the hunting industry was worried about the decline of hunter participation pre-covid. Covid was the shot in the arm that the industry needed to recover from dwindling numbers and lackluster sales. Many wildlife conservation groups were also worried by the decline in interest in hunting. Specifically, as it was, and still is, being under represented by the youth sector (which then becomes the mature hunter/consumer/conservationist).

So, that's the deal. Hunter numbers aren't skyrocketing. They are stagnant at worst if you look at them as a stand alone number over time. They are actually in decline if you compare it to the averages of the total population.

You're just going to have to find out how to kill something anyway. I do.

Last edited:
Hunter numbers aren't at risk of doubling. Period. I don't care how many films come out.

There were roughly 14 million hunters in the US in 1960, at a time when there were 179 million Americans. The hunter numbers haven't changed much as an average over the last 6 decades. It's at roughly 15 million today, but our total population is 334 million. So, as an average of the total US population, the number of hunters has actually been on the decline. That's attrition, not growth. Similar to economic deflation.

Here are some numbers from the last 15 years or so for you (these are the most current stats available). Not really a marked change, other than about a 10% decline in hunter numbers through the 2010's.

Most of the commercial side of the hunting industry was worried about the decline of hunter participation pre-covid. Covid was the shot in the arm that the industry needed to recover from dwindling numbers and lackluster sales. Many wildlife conservation groups were also worried by the decline in interest in hunting. Specifically, as it was, and still is, being under represented by the youth sector (which then becomes the mature hunter/consumer/conservationist).

So, that's the deal. Hunter numbers aren't skyrocketing. They are stagnant at worst if you look at them as a stand alone number over time. They are actually in decline if you compare it to the averages of the total population.

You’re the one who wanted more interest to keep “hunting from shooting down altogether”

My point was that EVEN IF we doubled, it wouldn’t matter at the ballot box

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
You’re the one who wanted more interest to keep “hunting from shooting down altogether”

My point was that EVEN IF we doubled, it wouldn’t matter at the ballot box
All good man.

The topic is: should hunting content captured on public land be banned because it's ruining hunting (more or less).

I said that more interest in hunting from content is generally a good thing. I didn't say hunter numbers need to double or go up at all. Hunting content influences much broader and diverse groups of people besides hunters alone.

Have a great season. I hope it's a good one for everyone!

Mikido

WKR
What???

EVERYONE in this country has their phone out snapping selfies and posting online for likes….in public spaces.

HALF this forum posts trophy pics for the world to see, no?

what gives you the right to restrict someone else’s? Why aren’t we banning ONX, rifle
Scopes Get over it and adapt.

Idaboy

WKR
I couldn't disagree more, with all due respect. No I don't want government in my life anymore than the next guy. But blanket all or none stances are going to leave us pushed out of the decisions for sure.
- look at the Farm Bill program, voluntary and probably one could argue has more ongoing positive impact habitat than any other state or federal legislation... and if we didn't have that government program I can't imagine any private or ngo having such broad impact
- current infrastructure bill, designated money for overpass/wildlife coriidors, and maintaining safe travel migration and helping animals not get hemmed in /preserve access to habitat
- I can't imagine what our landscape would look like had Teddy Roosevelt not made the decisions he did over a 100 yrs ago

The county, state and federal governments have a huge impact on land use...I think if hunters stay United around the issues of habitat and public access, and maintenance of herds, we will go further. And like it or not, that means we must work with government.

I don't like taxes, I don't like many regulations.... But I am OK with government having a hand in helping manage public lands.

Again, no disrespect sir...I just dont think the all or none attitude is gonna help make progress

jimh406

WKR
I don't find filming hunting any worse/better than filming any other activity.

I know people want their own private hunting grounds on public lands, but the same can be said for other people who are enjoy the outdoors. Even hiking, most of us would rather nobody else be around. Filming might encourage a few more people to use the outdoors, but it belongs to them, too.

I don't find filming hunting any worse/better than filming any other activity.

I know people want their own private hunting grounds on public lands, but the same can be said for other people who are enjoy the outdoors. Even hiking, most of us would rather nobody else be around. Filming might encourage a few more people to use the outdoors, but it belongs to them, too.
Hunting is self limiting in the way that hiking is not. You don’t have to apply for twenty years to hike the best trails in America.

I couldn't disagree more, with all due respect. No I don't want government in my life anymore than the next guy. But blanket all or none stances are going to leave us pushed out of the decisions for sure.
- look at the Farm Bill program, voluntary and probably one could argue has more ongoing positive impact habitat than any other state or federal legislation... and if we didn't have that government program I can't imagine any private or ngo having such broad impact
- current infrastructure bill, designated money for overpass/wildlife coriidors, and maintaining safe travel migration and helping animals not get hemmed in /preserve access to habitat
- I can't imagine what our landscape would look like had Teddy Roosevelt not made the decisions he did over a 100 yrs ago

The county, state and federal governments have a huge impact on land use...I think if hunters stay United around the issues of habitat and public access, and maintenance of herds, we will go further. And like it or not, that means we must work with government.

I don't like taxes, I don't like many regulations.... But I am OK with government having a hand in helping manage public lands.

Again, no disrespect sir...I just dont think the all or none attitude is gonna help make progress
Very well said.

TheTone

WKR
I’d just be happy if the current film permit requirements were actually enforced. I’d bet the vast majority of influencers aren’t getting them. Maybe the posts and videos aren’t monetized but they’re certainly being used to help draw money from sponsors and others and to me that makes them commercialized

CMF

WKR

I'm all for protecting public land and habitat.
But inviting a useless regulation like banning filming will do nothing to protect land and habitat. It's just a feel-good measure for someone who thinks their spot is burned cause of youtube. If everyone is flocking to a spot cause of youtube there must be another spot void of all those people.
If it's not video, there will be pics, if not social media, there will be magazines. There will always be media and there will always be people who seek out adventure and look for new hunting opportunities.
This
Get over it and adapt.
And this