Bargain 8x42 binos

Looking to buy some for <$400 and the less the better, though I'm willing to spend the $ if the quality increase is substantial. I'm an RN and this year has unlocked some good deals that were previously only available to Paramedics/Fire Fighters - though unfortunately lots of items are out of stock.

Curious to hear opinions on the following, or suggestions to patiently watch the classifieds for
1) Vortex Diamondback HD ($162)
2) Leupold BX-2 Cascades ($164)
3) Athlon Midas 8x42 ($200)
4) Tract Tekoa ($280 on classifieds, seller compares them to Leupold BX-4)
5) Meopta Optika HD ($260 at CameraLand according to Doug on 24hr campfire)
6) Athlon Cronos 8.5x42 ($320 at CameraLand)
7) Bushnell Forge ($330)
8) Maven C1/C2

And then too many options to list but curious to hear some overall thoughts on Celestron at ~35% off, Stryka at 40% off, and Steiner at 40% off.
Another wildcard is a 10x36 Bushnell Nitro for $216.

Last edited:
Only thing on that list I can recommend are the Maven C1's.

That said, the Leupold BX-4's weren't on that list, and if they were, I would have recommended them.

Only sub-$200 bin I can recommend are the now discontinued Bushnell Legend M's.

OP
ramsdude47
The Tekoa seller claims near BX-4 performance at 60% cost! I'm just not convinced I need that level of performance, and I'm cheap. I like that I can send the Maven's back if they don't knock my socks off compared to the $50 binos I have - which are not very good if there was any question!

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I bought those diamondbacks on a similar deal this year on a whim and I don’t hate them. For what they cost they’re ok. Mine just ride around in the truck and they’ll be fine for that

Firehawk

WKR
I have the 8x42 Maven C1 and they are a nice view. They are not my B2 view, but they only cost 40% of the B2 as well. The C1 is quite good, although a bit narrow in view. They are at least as good as the Vortex Viper HD that I compared them with, but the Viper had a wider FOV (although the were a bit blurrier at the edge, so may not be any real difference. The C1 is clear almost to the very edge).

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
That’s what I’ve really noticed with the vortex I bought. They are definitely not clear edge to edge. Centrally it’s pretty good but only about the central 70-80% is usable. There’s a decent amount of CA as well with them

I have a set of the Athlon Cronus 10x42 from CameralandNY that were marked down from 5 something to $320ish. I think they are built like the 8.5 you mentioned.

I find them pretty nice overall. Decent sweet spot and sharp but they are also heavy and I don’t much like the diopter adjustment button.

OP
ramsdude47
I picked up the Leupold’s, I’m not really interested in trophy bull/buck hunting so figured 90% of top tier performance for 20% cost will work for me.