Barney’s Super Cub Jacket

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I believe they are made by integral designs.

I see people in AK use them but I've never personally tried one, I've seen them in the barneys shop and they didnt seem all that impressive (the pants are cool though).

I think that a few years ago these were probably great but now there are so many nice puffy jackets and pants available that these get overlooked. IT would be nice to see a side by side review that included the barneys stuff.

I generally agree with thinhorn. I think the super cub is similar to those other jackets but probably more packable than the lost park. The brooks range pants are sweet though. I was gonna pick up a pair for this winter but Barney’s has been sold out of my size and won’t get another batch until April if I remember right. I was also eyeing the brooks range jacket before I moved down from Fairbanks.

I think the bottom line is that for general synthetic insulation, they’re a good option, but they’re kind of in between a lightweight vs durable insulation layer. I can see at least the pants in my future and maybe a super cub jacket, since I’ve nearly worn out my current everyday puffy jacket.

I was gonna head down to Barney’s in the next few days to check out the new stone glacier stuff. I can take a closer look at the super cub if you have something specific you’re wondering about.

ppwack02

Lil-Rokslider
SCI ran a deal on raffle tickets in 2019 if you spent $1000 you got 1 of 3 pieces of barneys gear or a $200 dollar gift card. I picked up a super cub jacket then and used it as my puffy since then. For hunting it has been on goat, moose, caribou, lynx and sea duck hunts. The jacket has kept me warm and comfortable on all these trips. Keep in mind this is with layering system, which is Kuiu for me. I would like to use it bear baiting but it's pretty loud. I managed to tear a hole in it during moose season but that was my own fault and since then has been sewn up.

This is my daily winter jacket and most of the time I feel too warm in it with just a T-shirt on. I am in the Anchorage area just as a side note. I have only found a few things that annoy me. The zipper on my jacket gets stuck sometimes and won't zip and I have to play with it to function properly. I wish it had a bungie cord around the waist and it's a magnet for dirt. I can't speak what the durability will be in the long run, but so far I'm happy with it. I tried to get a pair of the pants to try but they didn't have any left. I plan to get some when they get another shipment in.

When Kifaru ran their black Friday sale I picked up the Lost park top and bottom. I just got them earlier this week and plan to try them out here shortly for predator hunting. I like how they have reinforced portions on the pants and jacket. If you have any specific questions between the two I can try to answer them after I use the Kifaru gear more.

You could always call Barney's up and ask some questions. They are a great small business and a wealth of knowledge. Anymore that's the first place I stop when I'm in the market for something. I try to support them when I can. They have helped me tremendously this last year with a lot of questions I had about my first goat hunt.