Barnys frame pack mod.

Jsawyer

FNG
So, I have a Barney’s freighter frame pack and have been playing with the idea of buying the Kifaru nomad 2 and trying to modify the Barney’s frame to be able to attach a Kifaru bag. Has anyone tried this?
Or have any suggestions?

EastMT

WKR
I don't have a kifaru bag, but I bought one of the alps outdoors z pack bag only for $44 on Amazon, the grommets ore off about an inch on the middle for the pins, but a grimmer kit takes care of that. I also took some aluminum stock and moved the shelf down to the bottom as I like it that way better.

I used this set up on a hike in sheep hunt this year and was very happy for the price. No failures, 85mm spotter fits in scope pocket.
e34bec5802e43b56ceabc2e958ec3bb7.jpg

I didn't get the grommet put in before the hunt, but this has camp, black bear, spotter on a 10 day hunt and you can see the relocated shelf. I just couldn't pay Barneys price for their bag, I'm sure they are great but couldn't pay it.

"If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

OregonInAlaska

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve toyed with pulling my Yukon bag off and switching to a dry bag. Saves weight and space. Plus I don’t have to pack around a rain cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jsawyer

FNG
Hey thanks for sharing any ideas help. I just called about getting some hdpe and was thinking about mounting that to the frame for the Kifaru bag to hook onto. As of now I’m running it with a Kifaru camp dry bag hooked up so it can be dropped at camp and a stone glacier top pouch and stone glacier spotting scope pocket with two compression straps running horizontally to compress the camp bag or meat and then I sewed up a grab it. So far I really like the versatility of being able to run it as a day pack or for long hunts I’ll try to post some pics of it.

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have a kifaru bag, but I bought one of the alps outdoors z pack bag only for $44 on Amazon, the grommets ore off about an inch on the middle for the pins, but a grimmer kit takes care of that. I also took some aluminum stock and moved the shelf down to the bottom as I like it that way better.

I used this set up on a hike in sheep hunt this year and was very happy for the price. No failures, 85mm spotter fits in scope pocket.
e34bec5802e43b56ceabc2e958ec3bb7.jpg

I didn't get the grommet put in before the hunt, but this has camp, black bear, spotter on a 10 day hunt and you can see the relocated shelf. I just couldn't pay Barneys price for their bag, I'm sure they are great but couldn't pay it.

"If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
What frame and suspension is that?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
That's the Barneys freighter frame and suspension. The load shelf is closer to the middle height wise, and I'm already 6'5" so I don't want the weight up high as I'm tipsy anyway, so I moved it down. Planning on tig welding some round stock for a nicer conversion this summer.

EastMT

WKR
e377c4af63589768b93f3b79f6944661.jpg

This is the factory set up

2a291e521e9e8ed572e1f0e0acaf9742.jpg

They also have a bob frame, I haven't tried one, but would like to

OP
J

Jsawyer

FNG
Sorry guys- I’m not very computer savvy. But this is my pack I went to Barney’s and bought four of the under arm tensioner straps and then used the holes already in the side rails to attach with aluminum pins and I just put slide buckles on for the compression straps. One big reason I want to use this frame is the rifle carrier on this is the best I’ve seen it was an old one that a friend of mine sold me he said He bought it at Barney’s about 25 years ago but they quit making them. I think you could make one pretty easy if anyone wants any sizes or pics of it I’m more than happy to post them.

If you get some measurements to David at ntcolorado.com (better yet find someone here in Denver with the same frame) he would be able to pick something up straight from the Kifaru shop and modify it before shipping it out. Seems like you would have to add some fabric to handle the wider frame and put some grommets to handle the pins on the frame.