Barrel fluting; CA Mesa TI 6.5PRC

I just got a CA Mesa TI 6.5PRC the other day. Im looking to reduce the weight a little more. Has anyone fluted a CA steel barrel? Any effect on accuracy or precision?

JFK

WKR
Most barrel makers prefer to flute the barrel before final lapping. Fluting a barrel after final bore dimensions are reached can change it for the worse. If it were me, I would not have it done. You are talking about a couple ounces tops. Im planning a rebarrel project and there is some interesting reading on fluting and the effect it has on accuracy. What I’ve gathered is that it never helps, unless of course you use a larger diameter fluted barrel than you would have used in non-fluted. Example....a fluted #4 or 5 will generally be more accurate than a #2, but if you left the larger barrel alone and didn’t flute it you’d have better accuracy potential.

Your probably going to get lots of different opinions on this subject. I have personally tested a barrel before and after fluting. It was a Bartlein that I developed a load for and then sent off to Kampfeld for fluting. Upon return and installed it shot the same POI and group size was just as good as when it was non fluted.

ChrisAU

WKR
Kampfeld fluted my Bergara B14 Ridge and it lost 7.9 oz. I haven't shot it yet because I'm waiting on a stock from AG Composites still. But, it had a somewhat heavy contour to begin with. Kampfeld also has my Savage 12FV right now with his only instructions being "max weight loss", I'm interested to see the finished product in a couple weeks.

JDJHNTR

FNG
I’m looking to reduce the weight on my Mesa and after talking with others and just getting off the phone with Pam at AG Composites, changing to their “Privateer” stock with cut around 15oz of the rifle. The factory Mesa stock weighs 41oz! AG’ is 26oz.