Barrel just blew up

Ten Bears

WKR
Out hunting Pheasants right now with the old dog and missed a bird that I normally drop, when I reloaded I noticed my barrel burst at the end. Shooting the factory correct choke, using Boss Tungsten with Copper Coating. No obstructions that I noticed.

Anyone have this happen before ?

Was gonna hit Benelli (gun is an Ethos) on Monday when they take calls, grabbed some photo’s immediately. Should I also hit Boss ?

Thanks
John

859EB5EB-01B3-44BB-AC64-D654B7FACBC7.jpeg88BA53C6-1397-4153-9DC4-B364A94AACE1.jpeg2B4D4353-1F25-4A32-AC87-515F03B7521F.jpegBA732DA9-95C4-4F7E-8284-A888BAB38F97.jpeg

WKR

WKR
Definitely looks like a choke constriction issue but that doesn't explain why it happened since you had the appropriate choke in. Might be that the copper coated tungsten was too hard for the choke to constrict or more likely the wad still had pellets in and wasn't able to pass through the choke...did you look for the wad?
I would reach out to both boss and benelli and also keep that box of ammo and any you have with the same lot number just incase.

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
No clue what happened. Literally was walking a cornfield edge. Barrel was clean when I went out today. Maybe a wad got stuck and I shot it out ?

Never saw the wad afterwards.

Totally uneducated guess, but my bet would be that you had a wad stuck there.

I had a shell squib once, thought it jammed, cleared it and fired again. Fortunately, my barrel didn't burst but did leave a small bulge.

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
My brother had one mushroom like that when he had mud stuck in barel

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
reached out to Benelli and Boss.

Benelli thinks a wad had to get stuck. Barrel was clean, just assembled and loaded the gun 20 minutes beforehand. Box of shells was brand new, weeks old. Not wet, just put them in my upland ammo bin the night before.

Waiting to hear what Boss has to say, haven’t got a reply back from them yet.

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
First shots of the day. Shot all 3 that were chambered.

Gun was kept in the case. Assembled at the tailgate. Was walking grass on the edge of the corn, while my 12 year old extremely experienced GSP was kindly giving me the finger as he chased birds in the corn that is never going to get cut.

samc

Lil-Rokslider
Yikes, sorry this happened to you. What did Benelli have to say?

Wheels

WKR
Has to be the 2nd wad got stuck and the 3rd shot blew the barrel if you fired 3 times.
Do you remember the 2nd shot sounding different? Probably not in the heat of the moment.

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
Benelli offered me a new barrel at MSRP. Benelli thinks it’s a wad that got stuck also.

Boss emailed me back today, I reiterated what happened and am waiting for a response. They said it sounded like an obstruction to which I replied with how that couldn’t happen from my end. We will see…

Sound was a little off, but nothing crazy. I was more focused on how I could miss such an easy shot. I have been hot and cold all year with the shotgun, getting frustrated. My dog is flat out getting pissed at me!

jimh406

WKR
Ouch, maybe Boss will come back with some news. It seems like their ammo might need a recall assuming you handled it right since you had it.

I'm amazed that other people have heard of or had similar issues even if it isn't the same manufacturer.

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
Ouch, maybe Boss will come back with some news. It seems like their ammo might need a recall assuming you handled it right since you had it.

I'm amazed that other people have heard of or had similar issues even if it isn't the same manufacturer.

It is a new release from them.

I think it could have been a bad primer and the powder didn’t totally ignite. Jamming up the wad. It happens.