Barrel just blew up

WKR

WKR
Benelli offered me a new barrel at MSRP. Benelli thinks it’s a wad that got stuck also.

Boss emailed me back today, I reiterated what happened and am waiting for a response. They said it sounded like an obstruction to which I replied with how that couldn’t happen from my end. We will see…

Sound was a little off, but nothing crazy. I was more focused on how I could miss such an easy shot. I have been hot and cold all year with the shotgun, getting frustrated. My dog is flat out getting pissed at me!
New Barrel at msrp? is that supposed to be good customer service?

Fallbeard

FNG
New Barrel at msrp? is that supposed to be good customer service?
My thoughts as well. Even though the incident probably has nothing to do with the craftsmanship of the firearm, what a great missed opportunity to do something special deliver high level of customer service.

Fallbeard

FNG
Flip side to that. Why should they cover it?
I wasn’t implying they are at fault. But rather than taking the stance of “are we legally obligated to help this customer”, have the mindset of “what can we do to best help this customer of ours”.

A deeply discounted replacement barrel would have still been profitable for the company, I presume the customer (OP in this instance) would have felt a lot better about a crappy situation, and the goodwill from the online press from this story would have been worth 10x the lost revenue from the original offer.

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
I just spoke with Benelli again. They are offering me the barrel for what they charge retailers. Which I appreciate. It would save me about $150.

Never expected Benelli to do much for the situation as it’s impossible for them to know exactly what happened. They said sometimes the ammo manufacturer will pitch in or pay for a new barrel. Still being patient with Boss to see how they handle. Again it’s probably tough for them to trust that I didn’t do something stupid and cause this. So I get their side also.

Growing up I had to learn to reload before I was allowed to shoot. I don’t know how many thousands of shells I have blasted. It was bound to happen at some point.

Most likely I will buy the replacement barrel. And taking the advice from above call Carlson’s. Maybe they can chop the old barrel and put a fixed turkey choke in there for me! It could be my “custom” turkey gun too.

I wasn’t implying they are at fault. But rather than taking the stance of “are we legally obligated to help this customer”, have the mindset of “what can we do to best help this customer of ours”.

A deeply discounted replacement barrel would have still been profitable for the company, I presume the customer (OP in this instance) would have felt a lot better about a crappy situation, and the goodwill from the online press from this story would have been worth 10x the lost revenue from the original offer.
Giving a discount may also be seen as an admission of liability. Aka why give him a deal unless they think it could possibly be there fault.

Also they may not regularly sell barrels separately, the fact they are willing to separate one off the production line may actually be above and beyond.

And I highly doubt they will take a monetary hit because they refused to give a discount to someone on a replacement blown up barrel.

Fallbeard

FNG
Giving a discount may also be seen as an admission of liability. Aka why give him a deal unless they think it could possibly be there fault.

Also they may not regularly sell barrels separately, the fact they are willing to separate one off the production line may actually be above and beyond.

And I highly doubt they will take a monetary hit because they refused to give a discount to someone on a replacement blown up barrel.
You missed several of the points I was addressing. If I hold the door open for a woman, I view it as being polite. Sure, someone else could view it chauvinistic b/c I don’t believe women are capable of opening doors.

I don’t view Benelli’s willingness to help as admitting liability. It’s on how you choose to look at the situation.

OP, I’m glad it sounds like there will be a positive ending. Good on Benelli for not simply playing the blame game on the shell manufacturer.

You missed several of the points I was addressing. If I hold the door open for a woman, I view it as being polite. Sure, someone else could view it chauvinistic b/c I don’t believe women are capable of opening doors.

I don’t view Benelli’s willingness to help as admitting liability. It’s on how you choose to look at the situation.

OP, I’m glad it sounds like there will be a positive ending. Good on Benelli for not simply playing the blame game on the shell manufacturer.
You view the world as a reasonable person. Fact is most of the world is mouth breathers.

Companies view people as liability. Its just weather or not the money out weighs the liability.

I'm glad they are helping out the OP as well.
I hope you have a safe and great season.

We had this happen on an old shotgun when I was a teen and my buddy got his arm sliced open.

WCB

WKR
If your choke was fully screwed in as it appears....99% chance it was a wad in the barrel. Not a gun manufacturers fault and them extending a discount is a good thing.

Not sure why people think one company should pay for another company's mistake. Boss should be getting your ammo back and replacing/refunding the ammunition you have from that lot at a minimum...and more than likely replacing your barrel.

As far as someone calling for a recall while unfortunate and inconvenient unless they can consistently replicate the issue in testing the ammo world would be constant recalls if every complaint that came in was instant grounds for recall regardless of testing, severity, etc.

letrbuck

WKR
Pictures don't make it seem like the case, but have seen similar issues from chokes coming loose. A squib or underpowered load would leave a wad in the barrel and cause that on the next shot, however you'd likely notice the sound and less recoil. A really loose and partially backed out choke can grab and stick a wad petal to cause a similar effect on the next shot without noticing a change in the report/recoil.

Feckin sucks. Hopefully you were able to get a new barrel. Keep your chokes tight, and if anyone ever gets a weird sounding shot in the future, don't pull the trigger again

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
updates.

Benelli has the damaged barrel and gave me a really good price on a replacement. Hopefully it ships soon.

Boss sent me a box of shells. Also recommended a new Wolff hammer spring.

Both are in agreement that it was likely a wad stuck. Bad primer/strike.

anyone have any experience swapping out the hammer spring ?

Stapless

FNG
Serious issue with Boss shells. Misfire over and again. Used the 5 shorty for pheasants. Ok if hot and dry. Foggy morning resulted in recurrent misfires. Wad plugged barrel repeatedly. Reached out to Boss. Lots of lip service and no resolution. Aaron was far less than helpful. Web search shows my issue is not unique. Buyer beware!!

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
Woofta that could’ve been a lot worse.

I’ve had it happen but 100x worse. Dog was birdy and I was following and stepped in a foxhole. End of the barrel must’ve hit a chunk of mud and a pheasant got up and I pulled and fired. Sounded like a muted trumpet. Completely my fault, but I have a hard time imagining the power it took to do that to a barrel.

luckily everyone was fine including my dog in this case but my asshole was pretty well puckered up.

Attachments

• IMG_2018.jpeg
    IMG_2018.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 66