Barriers for new hunters? (Poll)

What are the biggest barriers for new hunters out west?

• They don't know where to go

• Lack of hunting knowledge (i.e. animal behavior and hunt strategy)

• Inadequate physical fitness

• They need someone to help them with the logistics of the trip

• Fear - Worried they might get lost or hurt / fear of failure

• Lack of time/money

• Other (see comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.

DavePwns

WKR
I know a lot of people who say they want to hunt out west, but they never do. I am curious of what you all think are the main barriers that make it difficult for people to make it happen?

If you are a newer hunter yourself, let us know what are some of your current challenges you are trying to work through. Maybe this community can help! (y)

TWHrunner

Lil-Rokslider
The number of “new hunters” as men who have picked it up later in life is simply astonishing to me. I think the biggest factor in driving it has to do with the advent of social media that has taken over society in the past decade. So to me the question isn’t “what’s in the way?” but rather “why?” The “why” is for reasons that never even existed when I grew up. It was always about tradition. Not so anymore.

Gen273

WKR
I think it is very simple, the cost of equipment, and the lack of access to good land are in my opinion the two biggest hurdles.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I think it’s never been easier to start. So much info, so much good gear! Some expensive, but a lot is or can be had cheap, even cheap glass is better than a lot of what was around 30 years ago. A cheap rifle is often adequately accurate enough. Volumes and volumes of info available. Over crowding and lack of access are pretty big detractors, in some areas…

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
I would say it's a combo of all the above. Getting started can be confusing and intimidating for some. Throw in cost, lots and lots of conflicting, bad advice, and some pretty onerous regs/laws in some areas and it's a wonder anyone gets into hunting. If you don't have a mentor to give some honest and good advice, you better be willing to put in a lot of time and effort into getting started.

SDHNTR

WKR
Hahaha! Barriers? There’s none! Zero! And that’s a gigantic problem. All anyone needs to do now is tap out a few clicks. Newburglar be glad to tell you everything you need to know. Just don’t forget to like, click, subscribe and reach around! I hate it. Barforama!

You used to have to earn it and I miss those days. Make western hunting hard again.

SDHNTR

WKR
I would say it's a combo of all the above. Getting started can be confusing and intimidating for some. Throw in cost, lots and lots of conflicting, bad advice, and some pretty onerous regs/laws in some areas and it's a wonder anyone gets into hunting. If you don't have a mentor to give some honest and good advice, you better be willing to put in a lot of time and effort into getting started.
All nothing more than BS excuses. You just gotta want it.

leachguy

FNG
When I moved west and wanted to start hunting elk I was very intimidated because I didn't know how to hunt the animals or even the type of terrain they liked. I just started getting out there and eventually learned some things. So in my mind, lack of knowledge and time are the limiters. At least that's my experience.

I feel like a combination of 3 or more of the choices given could be adequate. A lot of it seems to be money, logistics, and lack of research are probably contributing factors. As well as the fear of undertaking such a trip solo.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Hahaha! Barriers? There’s none! Zero! And that’s a gigantic problem. All anyone needs to do now is tap out a few clicks. Newburglar be glad to tell you everything you need to know. Just don’t forget to like, click, subscribe and reach around! I hate it. Barforama!

You used to have to earn it and I miss those days. Make western hunting hard again.
Agreed, on X, forums, YouTube, the internet in general. Nothing is hard anymore, other than putting one boot in front of the other

Lawnboi

WKR
In a lot of areas, not specifically out west where good public land is abundant, access is a major factor keeping people from hunting.

Getting access is significantly harder and sometimes more expensive than it used to be.

This is part of the reason you see many flocking to states with quality public ground.

jayhawk

WKR
urbanization and cell phones are the leading cause of my lazy ass friends who don’t want to get up before 10am and go hunt on the weekend

TaperPin

WKR
Lack of priorities.

If from the time someone could crawl if all they wanted to do was come out west to hunt, and every Christmas they asked for hunting equipment, and all birthday money in cards went into a hunting jar, and when it came time to get that first car it had to have room for a giant cooler and a lot of camping gear, what are the odds a teenage kid would make it to hunt Colorado before he turned 18? 100%

If somebody really wants something, odds are they will get it. They will do what it takes to get the gear and save the money. I met a dude that didn’t make a lot who saved HALF his check for an entire year for something he really wanted.

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt Montana and Oregon. In Montana I think opportunity is good for new hunters. You can find deer and gamebirds to shoot with a little effort.

By contrast in Oregon for blacktail deer or elk it is tough. Experienced hunters need to work hard and strategize to see and shoot animals. New hunters frequently do not see anything and quit as a result. The problems for beginners are lack of game and heavy competition with experienced hunters. This results in very low success rates and new hunters becoming discouraged.

I think it relates to all the above to some degree. But for example here in the south, access to land to hunt is the biggest hurdle because so much of it is private with little to no public land depending on where you are.